X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ferguson, NYC & Cleveland…Times are Tough

Ferguson, NYC & Cleveland…Times are Tough
    By Kieth M.

December 7th, for most people, invokes memory about Pearl Harbor. For me, it stirs other memories, not quite as tragic, but bad nonetheless. December 7th, 1981 – I was working LAPD Hollywood, in the wee hours of the morning. My partner and I backed a unit on burglar alarm at a video store. The rear door was open, with a screwdriver stuck in the key slot. A couple of hundred dollar bills laid on the floor, in the open. Please remember, that back then, VCR's went for about $1000, and VHS movies went as high as $90 for just a regular movie. Flashlights and guns in hand, we cleared the place. I called communications division to have an owner respond to secure, then went and got coffee for the two guys remaining behind.

Within minutes of clearing the scene my partner and I hooked a DUI. A couple hours later, upon leaving the jail, we were called to the station. We, along with everyone else who’d been at the scene of the burglary, were held in the captain’s office. We were eventually questioned about our actions at the store and our hands placed under a black light. Ours did not glow. That was good.

It was an Internal Affairs sting. The guys we backed were arrested and booked for burglary. It was the end of their over year-long crime spree, burglarizing businesses while on-duty. In the aftermath, no less than a dozen cops I knew were out of a job. This was in the days prior to getting your pension contributions back if you left early. For the next few years we could not handle a routine call without having our integrity questioned, or a snide comment made about our department being dirty.

A decade later, March of 1991, a guy I once worked with and three other cops plunged our department into a spiraling abyss due to the appearance of post-pursuit excessive force used on Rodney King. We were corrupt AND now brutal. A couple of years after the King incident, a seemingly pointless raid at 39th & Dalton once again caused an uproar against the department people were sure we’d never overcome.

Another decade passed and, in 2005, LAPD SWAT was involved in a fierce gun battle with some drugged-out madman, who just happened to holding his infant daughter in his arms while firing his weapon. The child was killed, along with her idiot dad. Who killed her? No one knows for sure, even today. But, of course, it was ALL LAPD's fault. We were back on the dark side, and were now careless baby-killers.

With all the current focus on Ferguson & Mike Brown, NYPD & Eric Garner, or Cleveland & Tamir Rice, it could be considered very wise to start looking to exit the law enforcement profession. And do what, exactly? Sit on the sidelines and wish you were still in uniform when the inevitable pendulum swings back into positive territory? Or watch, impotently, while you see or hear of a tragic crime or injustice you might have prevented or rectified? No. Chances are you are right here, right now, and for all the right reasons.

Let me give you another old saying, “This, too, shall pass.” For every one of those turbulent LAPD times during my career, there was a positive time which followed and could be savored. Had I left, when times were bad, I would have missed the golden moments I treasured.

BOTTOM LINE, kids? Anti-police sentiment ebbs and flows. It changes as if wind-driven at times. As the saying goes, tough times don't last, but tougher people will. Believe it, or not, both you and I will see the other side of this current public relations nightmare. Cops will be heroes for a while until the next unfortunate incident happens. The idea is to stick around, doing a sometimes thankless job, while timing your eventual departure when times are good and you might just have the predisposed goodwill of the people you know and meet. Timing is everything.
    Last edited by Kieth M.; 12-08-2014, 11:43 AM.
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

In a way I agree with you Kieth..........................but today is the INSTANT 24/7/365 news cycle where even if the officers are in the right they will be crucified in the media, internet, and it will stay forever...............

I think the 'this too shall pass" is going to be non-existant before long.

I doubt it will stop people from joining the profession or we will lose many officers

We shall see
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

With youtube and facebook a cop in some butthole town could do something stupid and now I've got people giving me crap about it, where in the past small stuff never made the news. I only see it getting worse.

Comment

Originally posted by AzLaw_E View Post
        With youtube and facebook a cop in some butthole town could do something stupid and now I've got people giving me crap about it, where in the past small stuff never made the news. I only see it getting worse.
        Or some cop in a BIG CITY doing something stupid
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Funny developments here in the Big Apple......the family of the young man shot in the housing project stairwell has told rev al to stay away and the wife of Garner is quoted in the NY Post as stating that the death of her husband was not racially motivated. Strange twists and turns.

Comment

The fact that there's 24/7/365 news is not necessarily a bad thing. It can also be an opportunity.

Does your department routinely recognize acts by their employees which are heroic, charitable, or innovative? Or are you working for that grizzled old school chief who says, "We don't give awards to people for doing their job, that's what we pay them for!"

Are your supervisors writing positive paper? Not only attaboy/attagirl notes for good arrests, but paper commendations when cops/detective CLEAR suspects keeping them out of jail? My philosophy has always been to write good paper, FROM THE START. There will eventually be bad paper to write, but the cop can't argue, "Sarge, you never wrote anything good, now you're doing this!?!?"

That good paper collects and fills the personnel file, balancing out the view the public, or worse a JURY, takes of your employee.

Crusading, seemingly anti-police reporters are nothing new. LAPD in the late 70's had KABC-7's Wayne Satz constantly seeking to undermine us. Larry Carroll followed him, embarrassing himself so badly that an editor had to start the news off with an apology one night. That was after Carroll covered a Metro Division OIS where the a shooter took the hand off a cop with a shotgun blast. A Metro cop put the idiot down with a police shotgun blast. The wounded suspect was transported by an ambulance. An attended told Carroll it appeared as though the suspect had been shot "nine times with a small caliber handgun". That's what Carroll reported as fact, almost costing him a job.

Guy, there have been and I won't sugar-coat it, there WILL be really bad days. But times will change.
            "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Kieth mentioned Dec. 7, which made me think of Sept. 11, which was one of the times John and Jane Public thought of cops as heroes.

And the "pendulum" part made me think of this:
              "It's in the way that you use it,
              It comes and it goes.
              It's in the way that you use it,
              Boy don't you know.

And if you lie you will lose it,
              Feelings will show.
              So don't you ever abuse it,
              Don't let it go.
              "
              --Eric Clapton/Robbie Robertson
              --
              Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

Keith,

I loved your post, but I don't know if I agree. When I first entered this profession, I thought I wanted my children to follow in my footsteps. Now there is no way I would encourage them to get into LE. In fact, I will attempt to dissuade them. I have between nine and fourteen years left before I retire (minimum fifty years old, max out at fifty-five years), and although I love my job, for the first time I am counting the years until I can retire. My heart goes out to the young men and women who will have to endure far more than I in order to protect and serve.

Stay safe.
                Last edited by Country_Jim; 12-08-2014, 06:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dinosaur32 View Post
                  Funny developments here in the Big Apple......the family of the young man shot in the housing project stairwell has told rev al to stay away and the wife of Garner is quoted in the NY Post as stating that the death of her husband was not racially motivated. Strange twists and turns.
                  You can bet Black Panther Chuckie Barron has something to do with the Gurley reaction. He doesn't want to share the money with Fat Al.
                  Last edited by So Fla Cop; 12-08-2014, 07:18 PM.
                  September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                    The fact that there's 24/7/365 news is not necessarily a bad thing. It can also be an opportunity.

Does your department routinely recognize acts by their employees which are heroic, charitable, or innovative? Or are you working for that grizzled old school chief who says, "We don't give awards to people for doing their job, that's what we pay them for!"

Are your supervisors writing positive paper? Not only attaboy/attagirl notes for good arrests, but paper commendations when cops/detective CLEAR suspects keeping them out of jail? My philosophy has always been to write good paper, FROM THE START. There will eventually be bad paper to write, but the cop can't argue, "Sarge, you never wrote anything good, now you're doing this!?!?"

That good paper collects and fills the personnel file, balancing out the view the public, or worse a JURY, takes of your employee.

Crusading, seemingly anti-police reporters are nothing new. LAPD in the late 70's had KABC-7's Wayne Satz constantly seeking to undermine us. Larry Carroll followed him, embarrassing himself so badly that an editor had to start the news off with an apology one night. That was after Carroll covered a Metro Division OIS where the a shooter took the hand off a cop with a shotgun blast. A Metro cop put the idiot down with a police shotgun blast. The wounded suspect was transported by an ambulance. An attended told Carroll it appeared as though the suspect had been shot "nine times with a small caliber handgun". That's what Carroll reported as fact, almost costing him a job.

Guy, there have been and I won't sugar-coat it, there WILL be really bad days. But times will change.
                    I hope you are right. But things are changing, and not for the better. Now, those radicals of yesteryear are becoming elected and want to hurt us and make our own government turn against us. The same government that makes the laws they want us to enforce, while at the same time, not being held accountable for their own criminal acts. Just look at who are elected, and re-elected these days.
                    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

SoFlaCop...You're probably right. One of the great things about NYC is its diversity. Even in competing "Civil Rights" anarchists.

Comment

Originally posted by Country_Jim View Post
                        Keith,

I loved your post, but I don't know if I agree. When I first entered this profession, I thought I wanted my children to follow in my footsteps. Now there is no way I would encourage them to get into LE. In fact, I will attempt to dissuade them. I have between nine and fourteen years left before I retire (minimum fifty years old, max out at fifty-five years), and although I love my job, for the first time I am counting the years until I can retire. My heart goes out to the young men and women who will have to endure far more than I in order to protect and serve.

Stay safe.
                        Same here buddy...bad guys idolized while cops are spit on.

Comment

I'm realistic, the stars in my eyes regarding law enforcement are gone. I was one of those kids growing up I thought cop work was the coolest thing ever... And it can be..

But after an OIS ambush on a home invasion, an in custody death after a fight, several near shootings that I've been involved in .... I am most affected when arresting a guy for a warrant on a t-stop, his wife begins screaming at me and lobbing death threats and making biker hits at me in front of their kids which encourages their 8 year old kids to start screaming and swearing at me too...

I love what I do, I really do. I am just as jaded as anyone else right now, but when I read keiths post, I feel inspired. He's been around cop work longer than I've been alive and seen some dark times. I too think that the pendulum will swing back in society, probably towards the end of my career. Let's not forget the 60's and 70's.

Keith, thank you for the post. It needs to be made a sticky!!!

Comment

I couldn't agree more with this, Keith

We go above and beyond daily, save lives, and largely it goes unnoticed. We need to do a better job promoting the good we do. Everybody knows when we solve crimes and make arrests, but we do SO MUCH more and it needs to be made public.

An Officer on my department was photographed helping an elderly person. That photograph went viral on the face page. It was inspiring to all of us that people actually cared about such a small thing and we were being noticed for the good that we do, however small. That photo, and its subsequent viewing by thousands, improved moral more than anything our Chief or Mayor has ever done.

Supervisors, Chiefs, and Sheriffs need to do more cheerleading. They might just find that Officers do more, work harder, and give the often ignorant public a better attitude if they know their work is being noticed and rewarded.

Comment

Great article Keith
                              T.K.
                              http://tonykoester.blogspot.com/

"Nothing can destroy a government more quickly than its failure to observe its own laws, or worse, its disregard of the charter of its own existence" (Mr. Justice Stewart, Elkins v. United States 364 U.S. 206 (1960)

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3227 users online. 152 members and 3075 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X