300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Proactive Policing

I suspect more than a few law enforcement chief officers are having these personal thoughts. Do they advise their officers to back off on self generated proactive policing. The upside in the short term is a projected reduction of risk to officers; a probable reduction in citizen complaints, and a quicker response time to calls for service due to officers being free to respond. The downside is, of course, more bad guys on the street, more guns on the street, and overall, less protection for the community. And, the perception that the "bad guys" are winning.

In many, many areas of the country, a cover unit is not just seconds away. Indeed, in many areas cover is either not available or 20-30 minutes away. Officers have got to be considering this when they are deciding if that car stop at 3:00 AM with four occupants is worth it. If it turns to excrement, will the community support them, or will the community throw them to the wolves?. It is just human to have these thoughts and has nothing to do with bravery.

Is it time to let the communities decide again what level of law enforcement they want? Is it time to allow the violent crime rate to set the tone? Should officers curtail their proactive policing.....If you are not thinking about this, I bet more than a few Chiefs are.
    T.K.
    http://tonykoester.blogspot.com/

"Nothing can destroy a government more quickly than its failure to observe its own laws, or worse, its disregard of the charter of its own existence" (Mr. Justice Stewart, Elkins v. United States 364 U.S. 206 (1960)

sigpic

I say for the next six months all agencies stop proactive policing, we will just sit at the precinct, when a call comes out we will ride out there and take a report. We will not investigate, just take the report and go back to the precinct. I figure it will take three months for all the preps to realize we are not out there and start perping it up, then three months for the public to beg us to go back to doing things the way we used too.

Comment

I wish we could not police for 48 hrs and see what happens.
      "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

Originally posted by lpstopper View Post
        I wish we could not police for 48 hrs and see what happens.
        THE PURGE:

Last edited by Talal; 02-03-2015, 11:20 PM.

Comment

If my kids are home and all the people I care about are too, then take a break and see what happens. Can I get a heads up first?

Comment

Well be turned into the cops from demolition man at the rate were going.

Comment

Originally posted by AzLaw_E View Post
              Well be turned into the cops from demolition man at the rate were going.
              Dibs on being Stallone

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6042 users online. 344 members and 5698 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
              Working...
              X