Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Police Alcoholism - what would you want to hear?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Police Alcoholism - what would you want to hear?

Hey all - I'm creating a presentation on Police Alcoholism.

If you were in the audience, what questions would you want answered, or info you would want presented?
    "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Somewhat relevant though its about military not police.

http://www.havokjournal.com/culture/...ampaign=buffer

Comment

Having lost a friend to alcoholism I think the first thing is to present just how fatal & easily glossed over it can be in the police community. The audience, especially management types, need to know anyone can be affected, it doesn't have to be a long, drawn-out process to develop and that it's not funny, is survivable and that those around them really will do whatever is necessary to help. Preachy, 12-step programs, in-depth discussions about psychiatric help all aren't necessary as those that want to help know that and those that are alcoholics either won't admit it, don't trust the PD to help or think they'll be tracked or terminated if they go through "official" channels for help. PPD just recently lost a LEO due to addiction problems when he committed suicide over being fired.

Comment

Hemi - Been following Tiger's case. Very sad.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

You could mention "That guy" who everyone on the shift knows is dealing with some kind of substance problem but no one on the shift says anything about it or offers to talk to him to try and get him help before he does something to destroy his career.
          "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

On my job we are REQUIRED to go to one of these presentations EVERY YEAR. I'm going to one next week and I dread it like the plague. They usually Fing suck due to the condescending tone a lot of the speakers show up with. Rule number 1, Do not come off with a holier than thou attitude. Don't say I know all of you drink and drive sometimes blah blah blah. Some of the people you will be talking to do drink at all, ever. And DO NOT invite the highway patrol to the show. Nobody wants to listen to them talk about how many people they have locked up on your job. Nobody wants to hear that sh4t.

Try to make it funny so everybody won't be miserable all day and give a two hour lunch.

Comment

Try to explain how you can determine if you have a problem. The definition of an alcoholic keeps changing. In one such presentation I asked if I have one drink a day made me an alcoholic. The presenter says "no". Then I ask if I have seven drinks, one day a week, does that make me a alcoholic? The answer was "yes". I never understood that, or the lack of any cohesive explanation. Make it personal, with examples (has this ever happened to you type of stuff), and don't push for input.
              September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                Hemi - Been following Tiger's case. Very sad.
                Keith, thanks. I sort of knew his ex-wife. Real nice lady & a good officer. No LEO or family should have to go through any of that.........

Comment

Originally posted by SHU View Post
                  On my job we are REQUIRED to go to one of these presentations EVERY YEAR. I'm going to one next week and I dread it like the plague. They usually Fing suck due to the condescending tone a lot of the speakers show up with. Rule number 1, Do not come off with a holier than thou attitude. Don't say I know all of you drink and drive sometimes blah blah blah. Some of the people you will be talking to do drink at all, ever. And DO NOT invite the highway patrol to the show. Nobody wants to listen to them talk about how many people they have locked up on your job. Nobody wants to hear that sh4t.

Try to make it funny so everybody won't be miserable all day and give a two hour lunch.
                  Humor, at my own expense, was always my method for presenting the topic back at LAPD. As far as I was concerned, I was the only alcoholic in the room and I proved it through personal stories.

I avoided everything you said, or kept it to a minimum. The last thing I wanted to do was accuse anyone of anything. IF they found something in MY story, which made them question their own lack of control, that was just fine but they could do that internally.

Comment

This has already been mentioned, but I'll just add to the chorus. I'd want to be hearing a lot.. I mean a lot, about confidentiality. I assume your agency has some sort of confidential no-way-this-will-ever-get-back-to-your-agency/affect-your-job way for these folks to get help. Were I in such a position, that would be my primary concern. Many of these folks have families to support and/or being a cop is such a huge part of their identity that they cannot contemplate losing it.

Comment

Originally posted by So Fla Cop View Post
                      Try to explain how you can determine if you have a problem. The definition of an alcoholic keeps changing. In one such presentation I asked if I have one drink a day made me an alcoholic. The presenter says "no". Then I ask if I have seven drinks, one day a week, does that make me a alcoholic? The answer was "yes". I never understood that, or the lack of any cohesive explanation. Make it personal, with examples (has this ever happened to you type of stuff), and don't push for input.
                      There is no "magic number". There are two things which help determine whether, or not, there's a problem. One is "attitude" the other is "results".

One day 35 year-old "Mike" wakes up with a tremendous hangover and can't remember how he got home. His wife is pi55ed. He recovers enough to get into work and his boss looks at him sideways and then says he made a complete fool of himself at the company function. Mike suddenly realizes he's no longer a rock hard 20 y/o old USMC PFC in Okinawa, and perhaps shouldn't drink like one. He makes amends and sticks to a plan to cut down on his drinking. Surprise, he sticks to the plan and never has a bad episode again.

On the other side of town, 35 year-old "Dave" wakes up in the same circumstances. Dave dismisses his wife's anger with, "She's just a beeyotch". He returns to work and hears about his disaster at the company party. He tells a buddy, "the boss is a loser and has no sense of humor...F HIM and the horse he rides to work!" Dave then says he'll party harder, NEXT weekend. He deserves to, after all, because he has problems with his wife and at work. No one gets him.

Comparing results and attitude, who should we be concerned about?

Let's examine Mary, now. Mary doesn't drink except one day a year, 10 shooters of tequila, on her birthday. However, the day after her birthday every year for the past 12 years, she awakes to discover that she banged half a college baseball team, shot out street lights, crashed a car, and ended up in jail. Last 12 years in a row, without fail. Does she have a problem? Remember, she only drinks .02739726 shots per year, BUT it appears she's got some bad results.

There are some people who learn from their mistakes. Guys like me kept making the same mistakes OVER and OVER again. I suddenly realized that I had two drinking speeds. Full out and dead stop. It's been dead stop for 30 years and a month now.
                      Last edited by Kieth M.; 12-03-2014, 04:21 PM.

Comment

I never played college ball, but I think I know Mary.... I am glad she doesn't remember me.
                        September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

http://www.indystar.com/story/news/c...today/3755871/

Good cop, right up until he wasn't. Sometimes a real life example brings it home a bit.
                          I miss you, Dave.
                          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by Kieth M. View Post
                            Hey all - I'm creating a presentation on Police Alcoholism.

If you were in the audience, what questions would you want answered, or info you would want presented?
                            Which stores offer the cheapest beer prices

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6315 users online. 359 members and 5956 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X