300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New hire transfer advice

Ok, so this isn't one of those "my best friend has an issue but it's really me that needs advice" posts. This is legitimately for my best friend who has recently been hired by an agency. I am perfectly happy with my agency and this has nothing to do with me, haha.

So, my buddy has been hired with a University police department and he has only worked 2 shifts. His certification was going to expire in January so he kind of settled for a job for that reason. It's his first law enforcement position so he's needing some advice on what to do. I am also on the fence about it because it seems like a touchy situation and I am also new to the career so I have no experience with anything like that. He is a little bummed about the job because he feels like they "sold" him on it a little bit just to get him in the door. He is very talented and by no means needs to be at a university with only 2xxx students. He is wanting to apply at some other places (my department primarily) but he is afraid if he does that it will give him somewhat of a bad rep in the field. He doesn't want to burn any bridges or make anyone mad, but he wants to be happy and utilize himself to the fullest. I told him, "it's you're career not theirs" and that he had to follow his heart, but that's easier said than done when you're only 2 days into your first LE job. I'm leaning towards just suggesting to him to man up and apply at other places so he can be happy, but I just don't know either. Wanted to see what you guys thought about the situation and what you might would do? His main concern is that if he tells his chief that he has plans of leaving already, he's afraid of getting treated differently or facing some sort of reprocussions, but he's also worried that if he applies and he doesn't tell his superiors, they will find out when other agencies call employers. Anyway, any input I'm sure would be helpful and I will pass it along to him. Stay safe out there!

Wait a second...he has only worked two shifts and already wants to bail? Who in their right mind would hire him? Too much chance he'll be wanting to leave as soon as he doesn't get the assignment he wants with Big PD. Tell him to suck it up and at least get through training and probation. It'll take him that long just to figure out what the job is really all about, anyway.
    Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

It's not a matter of "who would hire him". Like I said, he's my best friend and I wouldn't be posting this if I thought he was being unreasonable. He is qualified to do the job and will be a very talented officer at a municipal agency. He's truly concerned about it because he is afraid this will burn him out completely. The problem with "sticking it out" from what he's told me is that, there's nothing even going on for him to learn. He said most of the time on his two shifts were spent sitting in the office bs'ing with his FTO.

Comment

tell him to apply, getting hired doesn't happen overnight

Comment

Apply, but also give this current job at least a year or 2.
          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
          that we are all that stands between
          the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

If he worked for me, I'd give him a probationary release. Small towns and small colleges need good officers, too. There is plenty to learn at that place so, if no one is showing him, he needs to ask. How do you do this? How do you do that? What do we do if x happens? ad nauseam. They kept his certification from expiring, so I think he owes them a little something. They may have a lot of guys with a security guard mentality (or maybe they don't and your friend has unrealistic expectations), but someone there must be squared away and want to work. Find that person.

Comment

So hes never been the po-lice before, yet he already wants to quit his current job after 2 days. I get that its a small dept, and not traditional LE, but he knew that going into it. He better at least finish his field training portion and give it a few months of riding solo before he quits already. In my state, you cant lateral to another agency anyway unless you have at least 1 year full time sworn experience, so if he leaves after 2 days or whatever, he may not be qualified to go to another dept.
              "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

Thanks for the responses so far. My first inclination was to think that he was being a bit unreasonable. I hate that some of you are taking it as "he's just quitting after 2 days". He's not a bad guy, and he's definitely not just "quitting". I think his frustrations might be getting the best of him because it took him a little longer than he expected to get hired after BLET and he had to settle on an agency. Good info so far though. Thank you. I ran it past a couple of guys at my agency too, and they both said essentially the same thing. He just needs to give them some time and get his general certification then look at a transfer later on.

Comment

Originally posted by sheepdog31 View Post
                  It's not a matter of "who would hire him". Like I said, he's my best friend and I wouldn't be posting this if I thought he was being unreasonable. He is qualified to do the job and will be a very talented officer at a municipal agency. He's truly concerned about it because he is afraid this will burn him out completely. The problem with "sticking it out" from what he's told me is that, there's nothing even going on for him to learn. He said most of the time on his two shifts were spent sitting in the office bs'ing with his FTO.
                  Ahem......................read your first post

His certification was going to expire in January so he kind of settled for a job for that reason. It's his first law enforcement position so he's needing some advice on what to do.
                  He hadn't got hired before................and he "settled" for this agency so he could keep his certification.............

He WON"T be a very talented officer at a municipal agency until he gets hired at one and finishes an FTO program and THEN proves himself.

If he left an agency such a short time.................I would have reservations about his ability to stick to his decisions

Trust me---------------there is plenty to learn at a low volume agency----------I would suggest 2 yrs at the LEAST at an agency

Go ahead and try to find another job----------------but chose wisely because job jumping is dangerous in this profession.............
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I don't know how longer your certification is there but here (California) it is 3 years.

If he really is that great, why didn't he get picked up by someone else? Might be more to it than you know.

Comment

Iowa, you're right with pretty much everything you said, especially about having reservations due to him leaving so early. He is aware of that and i've also reminded him of that several times. Thank you for the info. A lot of what you've said I've told him so thats refreshing that I'm not giving him bad advice. I just feel bad for the guy I guess. He's like my brother and I want him to succeed.

Comment

Originally posted by eagleI View Post
                        I don't know how longer your certification is there but here (California) it is 3 years.

If he really is that great, why didn't he get picked up by someone else? Might be more to it than you know.
                        Here in North Carolina it's 1 year from the date you graduate from Basic LE Training. His problem was that he put all his eggs in one basket with one process at a place he really wanted to work, but for whatever reason (something about an old address not listed on his history) he wasn't selected. You're right, there may be more to it (not interviewing well, etc) but I don't think there is. He wasted 3.5 months waiting on and talking with one agency, then only applied for a handful of other agencies in the mean time. Who knows, maybe he has deep dark secrets, LOL.

Comment

Here in North Carolina it's 1 year from the date you graduate from Basic LE Training. His problem was that he put all his eggs in one basket with one process at a place he really wanted to work, but for whatever reason (something about an old address not listed on his history) he wasn't selected. You're right, there may be more to it (not interviewing well, etc) but I don't think there is. He wasted 3.5 months waiting on and talking with one agency, then only applied for a handful of other agencies in the mean time. Who knows, maybe he has deep dark secrets, LOL.
                          Could you be talking about peanut butter and dogs?

Comment

Originally posted by tj05 View Post
                            Could you be talking about peanut butter and dogs?
                            LMAO, I certainly hope not. But, hey, I guess anything is possible.

Comment

I have an issue with ANY Officer who says they "setted" for an agency just to keep their cert. Seems he probably isn't that great a candidate in the first place...
                              Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3106 users online. 140 members and 2966 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X