• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• semper03
    replied
    Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
    You get anything? Love this idea
    Not really no, I'm just going to make them myself at some point.

Leave a comment:

• semper03
    replied
    At my agency all criminal incident reports require a Supporting Deposition from a victim/witness in addition to the actual report. I made a generic one with all the relevant information. Basically,

I am _______ years of age, born ________ in ________________________. My address is____________________________________. I am giving this statement in regard to an incident that occurred at _______________________________ in the City of XXXXXXX New York, on __________ , at around __________ AM/PM. >>>>> Hand write narrative. "persons own words"

Prior to this the standard dep only had

I am _______ years of age, born ________ in ________________________. >>>> Hand write narrative.

I was taught to hand-write the rest of the relevant information like victims addresses, time/date, incident location, etc. Problem was, sometimes you get a robbery or a stabbing with with three victims and/or several witnesses and you need to get three or more Supporting Depositions done. You get all hyped up trying to get them done as fast as possible and end up forgetting to put essential information in the deposition.

Having a pre-made dep just helps me so I don't forget anything. For example, I sometimes forget to ask the approximate value of a damaged item on a criminal mischief report. The previous is a important element that needs to be in the dep. If I had a criminal mischief dep I would never forget.

I don't know, work smarter not harder I guess...

I'll get around to making some soon.

Leave a comment:

• BaylorBearSW
    replied
    Are you talking about something like this?

Demo_zpsb09a00a4.jpg

Leave a comment:

• JonathanE
    replied
    Originally posted by semper03 View Post
    Hey guys, I recently came across a stolen vehicle out of a different agency in NY. They sent down a copy of the supporting deposition (sworn statement) from the victim and it was a pre-filled out from - basically fill in the blank/circle I did/did not type statements with a short narrative, etc.

Currently, at my agency we have to hand write all depositions (basically however we want, time, location, date, etc) and it takes quite a bit of time, especially with multiple victims/witnesses (about 50k calls a year). I'm going to make some of these to help speed up calls and to make sure nothing gets forgotten when interviewing victims (especially for robbery's/assaults etc). I was wondering if anyone has any of these that I can reference. Especially for common calls like criminal mischief, burglary, larceny, harassment/assault etc.

I'm talking beyond the basics, time/date/location/name pre-made.

I would greatly appreciate it, it will save me a lot of time with trial and error.

Message me if you can help, thanks.

My curiosity got the better of me so here goes.

1) What exactly is a supporting deposition? In addition to reporting a crime and doing a police report, does the victim have to swear that they are a victim? Does the witness have to swear that they are a witness as well?

2) If at your agency, "we have to hand write all depositions" how does a pre-printed form help, I mean wouldn't that violate the 'we have to hand write' portion of the deposition? In addition to your police report, do you have to have the victim/witness fill out a 'deposition', basically giving a written statement? If so is this hand written because you do not have a printer in the field?

Leave a comment:

• Lady Blue
    replied
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
    Actually that was a logical ANSWER to a question -------------
    And LOGIC has no place in this forum, or so it seems at times.

Leave a comment:

• So Fla Cop
    replied
    Defense lawyers routinely attack "boilerplate" arrest reports with some success.

Leave a comment:

• Iowa #1603
    replied
    Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
    Hey, Get out of here with that logical question I didn't think of either lol
    Actually that was a logical ANSWER to a question -------------

Leave a comment:

• jcioccke
    replied
    Originally posted by EnWhyPeeDee View Post
    Why don't you just call that job and ask them for PDF copies of their forms?
    Hey, Get out of here with that logical question I didn't think of either lol

Leave a comment:

• jcioccke
    replied
    You get anything? Love this idea

Leave a comment:

• EnWhyPeeDee
    replied
    Originally posted by semper03 View Post
    Hey guys, I recently came across a stolen vehicle out of a different agency in NY. They sent down a copy of the supporting deposition (sworn statement) from the victim and it was a pre-filled out from - basically fill in the blank/circle I did/did not type statements with a short narrative, etc.

Currently, at my agency we have to hand write all depositions (basically however we want, time, location, date, etc) and it takes quite a bit of time, especially with multiple victims/witnesses (about 50k calls a year). I'm going to make some of these to help speed up calls and to make sure nothing gets forgotten when interviewing victims (especially for robbery's/assaults etc). I was wondering if anyone has any of these that I can reference. Especially for common calls like criminal mischief, burglary, larceny, harassment/assault etc.

I would greatly appreciate it, it will save me a lot of time with trial and error.

Why don't you just call that job and ask them for PDF copies of their forms?

Leave a comment:

• CCCSD
    replied
    Run those by your counsel/legal review and agency heads first.

Leave a comment:

• semper03
    started a topic Pre-Made Supporting Depositions

Pre-Made Supporting Depositions

Last edited by semper03; 10-09-2014, 06:40 AM.

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5627 users online. 369 members and 5258 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X