300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pre-Made Supporting Depositions

Hey guys, I recently came across a stolen vehicle out of a different agency in NY. They sent down a copy of the supporting deposition (sworn statement) from the victim and it was a pre-filled out from - basically fill in the blank/circle I did/did not type statements with a short narrative, etc.

Currently, at my agency we have to hand write all depositions (basically however we want, time, location, date, etc) and it takes quite a bit of time, especially with multiple victims/witnesses (about 50k calls a year). I'm going to make some of these to help speed up calls and to make sure nothing gets forgotten when interviewing victims (especially for robbery's/assaults etc). I was wondering if anyone has any of these that I can reference. Especially for common calls like criminal mischief, burglary, larceny, harassment/assault etc.

I'm talking beyond the basics, time/date/location/name pre-made.

I would greatly appreciate it, it will save me a lot of time with trial and error.

Message me if you can help, thanks.
    Last edited by semper03; 10-09-2014, 06:40 AM.

Run those by your counsel/legal review and agency heads first.
    Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

Originally posted by semper03 View Post
      Hey guys, I recently came across a stolen vehicle out of a different agency in NY. They sent down a copy of the supporting deposition (sworn statement) from the victim and it was a pre-filled out from - basically fill in the blank/circle I did/did not type statements with a short narrative, etc.

Currently, at my agency we have to hand write all depositions (basically however we want, time, location, date, etc) and it takes quite a bit of time, especially with multiple victims/witnesses (about 50k calls a year). I'm going to make some of these to help speed up calls and to make sure nothing gets forgotten when interviewing victims (especially for robbery's/assaults etc). I was wondering if anyone has any of these that I can reference. Especially for common calls like criminal mischief, burglary, larceny, harassment/assault etc.

I would greatly appreciate it, it will save me a lot of time with trial and error.

Why don't you just call that job and ask them for PDF copies of their forms?

Comment

You get anything? Love this idea
        MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by EnWhyPeeDee View Post
          Why don't you just call that job and ask them for PDF copies of their forms?
          Hey, Get out of here with that logical question I didn't think of either lol
          MDRDEP:

There are no stupid questions, but there sure are a lot of inquisitive idiots.

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
            Hey, Get out of here with that logical question I didn't think of either lol
            Actually that was a logical ANSWER to a question -------------
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Defense lawyers routinely attack "boilerplate" arrest reports with some success.
              September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                Actually that was a logical ANSWER to a question -------------
                And LOGIC has no place in this forum, or so it seems at times.
                In God We Trust
                Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Originally posted by semper03 View Post

My curiosity got the better of me so here goes.

1) What exactly is a supporting deposition? In addition to reporting a crime and doing a police report, does the victim have to swear that they are a victim? Does the witness have to swear that they are a witness as well?

2) If at your agency, "we have to hand write all depositions" how does a pre-printed form help, I mean wouldn't that violate the 'we have to hand write' portion of the deposition? In addition to your police report, do you have to have the victim/witness fill out a 'deposition', basically giving a written statement? If so is this hand written because you do not have a printer in the field?

Comment

Are you talking about something like this?

Demo_zpsb09a00a4.jpg
                    "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
                    -Sun Tzu

Comment

At my agency all criminal incident reports require a Supporting Deposition from a victim/witness in addition to the actual report. I made a generic one with all the relevant information. Basically,

I am _______ years of age, born ________ in ________________________. My address is____________________________________. I am giving this statement in regard to an incident that occurred at _______________________________ in the City of XXXXXXX New York, on __________ , at around __________ AM/PM. >>>>> Hand write narrative. "persons own words"

Prior to this the standard dep only had

I am _______ years of age, born ________ in ________________________. >>>> Hand write narrative.

I was taught to hand-write the rest of the relevant information like victims addresses, time/date, incident location, etc. Problem was, sometimes you get a robbery or a stabbing with with three victims and/or several witnesses and you need to get three or more Supporting Depositions done. You get all hyped up trying to get them done as fast as possible and end up forgetting to put essential information in the deposition.

Having a pre-made dep just helps me so I don't forget anything. For example, I sometimes forget to ask the approximate value of a damaged item on a criminal mischief report. The previous is a important element that needs to be in the dep. If I had a criminal mischief dep I would never forget.

I don't know, work smarter not harder I guess...

I'll get around to making some soon.

Comment

Originally posted by jcioccke View Post
                        You get anything? Love this idea
                        Not really no, I'm just going to make them myself at some point.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4408 users online. 315 members and 4093 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X