300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another lesson about social media

I'm stealing this from the O.com itself.....

http://www.officer.com/news/11707064...cebook-comment
    The Elgin Police Department has fired an officer for making disparaging remarks on Facebook, including a comment about the Ferguson, Mo. teen shot dead by police, officials said.

Officer Jason Lentz lost his job because of conduct that undermined the city's credibility and violations of the police department's social media guidelines, according to department officials.

Lentz, an 18-year veteran of the force, allegedly made numerous online remarks that investigators found to be "potentially inappropriate," according to documents released by the city.

The department put him on leave Aug. 21 after he allegedly made a provocative comment in response to a news story about slain Ferguson teen Michael Brown purportedly stealing cigars.

"Hmmm ... innocent victim my ***," the comment said. "Did society a favor."

Lentz's attorney, Tim O'Neil, could not be reached Monday evening but has previously said that Lentz's alleged comments were protected speech because the officer made them on a private account on which he did not identify himself as an Elgin employee, and because he was speaking about a matter of public concern.

In a statement, Elgin police Chief Jeffrey Swoboda gave his justification for the firing.

"Our relationship with the community is based upon trust," he said. " When an officer violates this trust, action must be taken."

Copyright 2014 - Chicago Tribune
    I have no idea what the officer was like on the street but its turns out he got 18 years flushed down the toilet for posting on Facebook.
    Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
    “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
    “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
    "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
    ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Our Freedom of Speech is a lot different than the normal Joe Citizen. We CAN be held accountable for ANYTHING we say/do/post.
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post
      Our Freedom of Speech is a lot different than the normal Joe Citizen. We CAN be held accountable for ANYTHING we say/do/post.
      Right, wrong, or otherwise, you are very correct!!

How many times, on how many forums, in how many different ways has it been said that posting negative stuff and dumb stuff on social media will get your *** in trouble????
      My comments are my personal opinion and are based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice in any form as I am not an attorney. Should you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!

Comment

It's sad that an officer can't say anything they want just like joe citizen. No one has to agree or disagree with the comment but firing someone over something they said that wouldn't have changed teh outcome of the incident is bad.
        My life is in GOD’s hands, and he hasn’t finished with me yet.

Comment

Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post
          You gave that right up when you took your oath.
          September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

I agree. That is 100% true!
            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
            that we are all that stands between
            the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by chiefjack View Post
              Right, wrong, or otherwise, you are very correct!!

How many times, on how many forums, in how many different ways has it been said that posting negative stuff and dumb stuff on social media will get your *** in trouble????
              That is what I love about being retired-------------------------I can say just about anything I want and NO ONE is going to fire me because of my postings
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                That is what I love about being retired-------------------------I can say just about anything I want and NO ONE is going to fire me because of my postings
                You're FIRED......I mean RETIRED.
                September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

One more time ....... FACEBOOK = EVIDENCE. It doesn't get any simpler than that.

Comment

Originally posted by So Fla Cop View Post
                    You're FIRED......I mean RETIRED.
                    As far as my current P/T gig-------------------the Sheriff won't fire me unless I embarrass him. REAL BAD.

I told him one day that he could fire me anytime he wanted and I would smile at him. He laughed and kicked me out of his office.

I poked my head back in the door and said "Please fire me." He threw his pen at me
                    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

The thing that gets me is an eighteen-year veteran doesn't get it into his thick scull and tosses a career.

Few people get to say what they want.......but there are exceptions....

Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
                      “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
                      “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
                      "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
                      ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

http://www.mediaite.com/online/st-lo...acebook-posts/

St. Louis Cop Fired for Inappropriate Ferguson Facebook Posts

Yet another police officer has gotten in trouble for comments he made about Ferguson protestors. St. Louis Officer Matthew Pappert was fired for making some pretty out-there comments, including one calling the protestors “rabid dogs.”

The Glendale Police Department got wind of Pappert’s posts a little over a week ago and suspended him. One of the posts read, “These protesters should be put down like a rabid dog the first night.”

After he was suspended, Pappert issued an apology for what he said, though he did so in a written statement because, according to his attorney, “He’s a mess right now. It’s an embarrassment.”

But then Pappert got fired late last week. And he was fired around the same time that another Missouri police officer resigned after he got in trouble for shouting “Go f**k yourself!” at protesters.
                        One must remember to think before posting on social media.
                        Last edited by sanitizer; 10-04-2014, 08:23 PM.

Comment

Hell, even if it WAS protected speech, can you imagine if he had gotten into a shooting at any point following posting comments like that? He'd get torn apart by the media and whatever their equivalent of the SBI is, alike.

Comment

Elgin has made controversial firings before. They fired a black officer who sued saying his firing was racial and brought up an alleged "comment" made years earlier by a supervisor. Elgin then went after the supervisor for the "alleged remark" from years prior. They have the mentality there that many Chicago area PD's have. Fire someone, knowing that it's an "iffy" firing, make that person spend their $$$ and go through shiate, then have to hire them back, along with back pay and , a lot of times, sizable settlements. It's the "Chicago Way." I'll bet the Officer gets his job back. May not be for a year or two, though.

CPD does this all the time. I've seen many "separated" Officers back on the job after several years, with back pay, back pension payments made, and seniority come back.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                              Me too!!!
                              My comments are my personal opinion and are based on my life experiences and training. They are not to be construed as legal advice in any form as I am not an attorney. Should you act on any of the information I provide in my comments, you do so at your own risk!!

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6882 users online. 367 members and 6515 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X