300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Roadside reductions?

I hope I haven't posted this before. Several years before I retired I started writing tickets for violations that were for the car instead of the mover/speeding I stopped people for, such as unregistered or uninspected. If it was a good speed I would write a reduced speed within reason.
    I believe you break the law you pay the price, but over the years I think the money grab from the municipalities and insurance company's have become far more than a fair punishment for a simple traffic law violation. The way I look at it is the beloved politician is the one that wants the money to spend and they adjust the fines to find more money to waste. So was I out of line writing a non mover over a mover?
    And all Jack***es and habitual people got what they had coming.

I'd say you were probably not out of line... 'course there's the motorist's attitude to consider also.

There have been a few times that I have knocked some off of the speed when I scratched a ticket. Then a good friend, who was a trooper, told me I'd have to justify doing so if the ticket went to court. So now I write whatever I get the radar locked on.

There was one stop where I had three violations on one stop: speeding, expired DL and expired plates. There are only two lines on our forms, so the driver got a pass on the speed.

Here we have protected waterways where motorized vehicles are not allowed in the riverbed. Sometimes knotheads get their two- or four-wheel drive vehicles stuck to the point they have to call a wrecker to get them out. When that happens I figure by the time they pay the wrecker bill they've suffered enough and aren't likely to do it again, so I will write a warning citation or just walk away with a "good luck."
    Last edited by chapwolfe; 09-29-2014, 10:19 PM.
    Officer Jay McGuire, Minneapolis Park Police EOW 5/14/2009 age 11
    Among Texas' finest
    Deputy Andy Taylor, Llano County SO EOW 5/9/2005
    Senior Deputy Jessica Laura Hollis, Travis County SO EOW 9/18/2014
    Darren H. Goforth, Harris County SO EOW 8/28/2015

Comment

Originally posted by chapwolfe View Post
      There have been a few times that I have knocked some off of the speed when I scratched a ticket. Then a good friend, who was a trooper, told me I'd have to justify doing so if the ticket went to court. So now I write whatever I get the radar locked on.
      Does your state have a "lesser, but included, offense" statute? You're not lying on the ticket if you write someone for a lesser but included offense. When I was in patrol, I'd write the offense as whatever I'd knocked it down to, but also put in the corner AS=XXmph and circled it. The citation held both the Actual Speed and what I was actually citing them for.
      I miss you, Dave.
      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by chapwolfe View Post

Reducing speed happens every day by nearly every officer out there (in my state) who works traffic.

In court, should the violator plead not guilty to the offense and there is a trial, the prosecutor will amend the reduced citation to the original recorded speed. The magistrate readily agrees to the amended citation and the trial commences.

We have a "high volume" traffic trooper in my county. I see his citations every day in court . 90% of the speeds he writes are reduced & I see him in court maybe once every 2 months or so. (Usually NOT on a speed ticket)
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I apply my discretion before I stop someone. Once I stop them I have to drop 2kph from the detected speed and that is what the ticket will be written for.

On an extremely rare occasion I will drop 3kph if that would prevent an automatic loss of licence and the motorist is a respectable member of the public.

Comment

The majority of my speeding tickets I reduce to the next lowest bracket (they are in 5 mph groups, so 19 over is the same fine as 15 over) and try to get them down to 14 over if I can, meaning they weren't driving too crazy or fast and they have a good attitude. 14 is the magic number since it and lower speeds aren't reported to DDS, so no points or insurance bump, plus the fine is about $20 less than the 15-19 bracket.

I also VERY rarely write more than one ticket to a person and am very proud of the fact that I often have twice as many warnings as I do tickets. I feel it is our job to not only enforce the law but to educate people. If a "no turn on red" sign is obscured or hard to see at night, I will stop them and have a word about looking out for signs, but if no one was put in danger and they are clean, that's as far as it goes. Same for brake lights since it's very hard to inspect them yourself. I also try to not cite out of state driver's who are just here for a few days since they are pretty much forced to pay and don't have the chance to come to court a month later and defend themselves.

If someone comes to court on a ticket I reduced or issued several warnings with, the judge will usually charge them the fine of the original ticket and/or the warnings had they been tickets as a punishment for not being grateful for the break they got.
            Originally posted by Ceridwen
            Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

I lower every speeding ticket if you have a good attitude, I am a traffic car and write 15 tickets a day and have been to court once in the last 6 months. The city gets their ticket, the driver learns something and in Don't go to court.

Comment

Each circumstance is different. I typically don't try to write a driver more than one ticket if they are being respectful to me.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4697 users online. 280 members and 4417 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X