300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Defensive tactics with external carriers

The department I work for just switched over to External Carriers for our vests with Molle webbing. Most officers have moved the majority of their equipment from their duty belt to the external carrier. During recent conversations with one of the defensive tactics instructors we have realized this has put an entire different spin on how you need to train and strategies that have always been used without an issue. I am curious what other agencies who use these vest have done to change their tactics and what has worked best.

Don't expect any replies. There are some things that we do not discuss in an open forum, and anything that could impact officer safetytops the list.
    In God We Trust
    Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Our vest carriers are vest carriers--they are not festooned with pockets or equipment.

Comment

Not going to discuss the differences... but there ARE differences and users need to practice DTAC with the vest ON to find out how things are different.
        "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

One of our officers was bounced around the Intoximeter room like a tetherball when a suspect grabbed his outer carrier. After examining the issue, we decided that awareness was probably the solution to the issue. Suspects can certainly grab for a Taser or a microphone cord. Likewise, they can grab for an exterior carrier. I would be interested to know if anyone has developed specific tactics, but recognize the need for discretion on a publicly viewed forum.
          John from Maryland

Comment

I'll say this, just make sure to have everyone spend some time in the mat room to make sure the placement of their gear works in practice as opposed to merely looking good in a given location. Many folks find it necessary to move stuff around.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6340 users online. 340 members and 6000 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X