300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to fly with a gun

Hey guys, I know this has been discussed before, but laws concerning this sort of thing can change... I was hoping to get current advice on the proper procedure for flying with a gun. Any advice on what type of container the gun should be locked in? The ammo? Can they be placed in the same bag but sealed in different boxes? Any other advice to avoid an issue at check-in?

You can find what you need to know here.

http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...and-ammunition
    "Yes sir, I know you have rights."
    "In fact, I know your rights better than you do!"

Comment

And if you are an LEO flying armed, look kere.

http://www.tsa.gov/about-tsa/law-enf...s-flying-armed
      Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

not much else to say that isn't already covered in the above posted links. When I flew (not on duty) I had my sidearm locked in a small pelican box (obviously box has to be in the checked baggage).

I have not needed nor attempted to fly on duty. I recall reading that you have to prove that you need to be on duty as soon as you step off the plane or something like that (I can not recall the exact verbage).
        Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

I recall reading that you have to prove that you need to be on duty as soon as you step off the plane or something like that (I can not recall the exact verbage)
          Your agency has to certify it when they put in the paperwork. I've heard of agencies certifying officers to carry on personal travel, justifying it as a dry-run for when they have to perform an extradition or something.
          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

declare at check-in (has to be in checked baggage) --> has to be in a locked, hard sided case (unloaded obviously) --> ammo packaged separately from firearm, OUTSIDE of the locked, hard sided case.

that is everything in a nutshell, but I would review the official TSA guidelines that #2 posted, prior to flying. checking firearms doesn't differ if you're LEO or not, as far as i know. i flew this summer and brought a gun and was never once asked for any id/creds. if you're trying to fly armed you have to go through your agency/TSA program.

Comment

Originally posted by kaju View Post
              declare at check-in (has to be in checked baggage) --> has to be in a locked, hard sided case (unloaded obviously) --> ammo packaged separately from firearm, OUTSIDE of the locked, hard sided case.
              I checked 2 firearms on a flight yesterday. Everything is correct, except the ammo CAN be inside the same box as the guns.
              http://www.tsa.gov/traveler-informat...and-ammunitionSmall arms ammunition, including ammunition not exceeding .75 caliber for a rifle or pistol and shotgun shells of any gauge, may be carried in the same hard-sided case as the firearm, as long as it follows the packing guidelines described above.
              What this means is put your ammo in an original ammo box. Unless you're going to a shooting match, I can't imagine you would bring more than a 50 rd box. Put the full ammo box inside the locked case along with your gun. Gun and magazines should be empty, slide locked to rear.

I didn't drop a lot of cash on a case. It was this one:
              http://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/plan...ck&N=838464443

When you go to check your bag, just tell them you have a firearm to declare. They'll have you fill out a little card that they put on the gun case. After they're done weighing the bag and slap some destination stickers on it, they'll direct you to a different area where a TSA agent will take you to a room. They'll ask you to open your luggage and unlock the gun case. They will scan your bag for explosives and maybe inspect the contents of the gun case. Then you leave your luggage with them and get on your plane. When you arrive at your destination just pick up your bag like any other.

It takes an extra 5 to 10 minutes, and it's actually a much smoother process than security screening itself. I have to give the TSA credit for making checking firearms relatively easy. I've never had a problem. Compare that to last year when my wife was pregnant and didn't want to walk through the millimeter wave scanner. We had to wait about 20 minutes for someone to give her a pat down while the TSA agents chided her for inconveniencing them by not go along with their program.

Comment

Perfect. Thanks for the links and the clarifications. Just one question, with regards to the "ammo box", that's just referring to the run of the mill cardboard box that ammo generally comes in when you purchase it, correct?

Comment

Yes. It is...
                  Now go home and get your shine box!

Comment

First step: Start flapping your arms really, really fast...
                    "I assume you all have guns and crack."

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2906 users online. 157 members and 2749 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                    Working...
                    X