Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• CNT Training

Hey all,
    Has anyone here completed Crisis Negotiation training and/or joined a Negotiation Team? My agency is a part of the County's Joint Crisis Negotiation Team (CNT) and myself and another SRO are going to the training.

Afterwards we have the option to hook up with the Sheriff's Office SWAT unit as a member of the Negotiation Team. My agency also started its own municipal SWAT unit with 3 other municipalities and they are trying to start a municipal Negotiation Team within SWAT so we don't have to answer to the County.

Anywho, if anyone else has done this, what did you think of the training, and do you enjoy being an Negotiator?
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

I know several hostage negotiators----------------

Everyone who WANTED to go to the courses have enjoyed it and enjoy the work when it happens.
    Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I volunteered because my department had 2 open slots. We had around 8 Negotiators but are now down to just 1 on the County team.

A few left or retired, some resigned, and others were promoted and moved to other units, so they can not meet the requirements.

I wanted to do it, so I'm excited and hoping to enjoy it!!
      The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

I'm a technician for our Negotiation Unit. I don't do the negotiating. My job (and the rest of the techs) is to keep up with/maintain/deploy all of the equipment. We are also responsible for our Negotiation Vehicle. I've really enjoyed it. The other techs I work with are solid and our negotiators are top notch. I've been doing it for almost a year and have really enjoyed it.
        Anything worth shooting is worth shooting 3 or 4 times.

M-11

Comment

Our County team seems to rotate out from call to call. Team Leads and Asst Leads are permanent, but sometimes the Lead Coach might be the Lead Negotiator OR the tech, or the intel officer, depending on the call.

I have 3 more days of training... tomorrow is Hearing Voices and the exercise where they put a headset on you and have you do tasks around town with voices in your head.

Mon and Tue is all team scenarios.

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

Just FYI, I passed the CNT school!

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

Early on, I had some very good examples of CNT work laid out in front of me. Beginning in 1977, my rookie year, when a sergeant of mine (one of the first, ever LAPD SWAT members) talked a crazy woman with a gun into surrendering. Seven years later, one of my Hollywood sergeants was Mike Hillmann, a pioneer in CNT work - I listened and absorbed his lessons in how to do it.

I decided when I had the opportunity, I had the obligation to NOT be one of the 25+ guns pointing at a location, but to "drop a dime" and try and talk the guy/girl(s) out. It worked.

My best incidents had me talking an armed woman who actually fired on the police out, and another crazy woman to release her hostage and give up one of her two guns. I finally went to LAPD's CNT school in 2007, right before I retired. In Colorado I attended the FBI school. Rather than chose one agency as being better, I wish everyone might attend BOTH schools as they are different in some respects.
              "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

That's awesome! I would like to do the FBI's school, but I don't think my higher-ups would front the bill for it.

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

I don't recall the school as being all that expensive, ($75 - $150, maybe????). They hold these school regionally, through local FBI offices hosting. Of course, if you have to travel and stay in a hotel for five days, yes the costs going to climb.
                  Last edited by Kieth M.; 09-22-2014, 10:26 AM.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

Is there a website I can check to see if any schools are coming up?

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

I think you should start with these guys: http://delvalnegotiators.org/

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5194 users online. 301 members and 4893 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X