300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nepotism

Has anyone had any experience with this? And if so, how did you handle it? Some friends of mine we discussing it the other night and I realized I hadn't read anything on this forum about it yet.

I know of a kid straight out of college that got hired as an 1811 (federal special agent). Nothing unusual about that in itself, but it was a hard agency to get into even for experienced applicants; plus the kid's father was the special agent in charge of another field office for the same agency. Pure nepotism at its best.
    I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Some departments have a nepotism policy, which prohibits family from working together. But there also is a large amount that don't. The PD my dad (and uncle) retired from does not, but during the application process they tell you that if you are related to someone on the department do not have them contact recruiting, otherwise your application will be trashed. But this PD also has about 1500 officers and I bet at least 100 are children of active officers and probably another 100 are children of retired officers. But in the long run, nepotism is alive and if it works for you great, but I wanted to do my own thing.
      "To hell with a supervisor, men follow a leader" -Texas Ranger Captain Allee

"Regard your soldiers as your children, and they will follow you into the deepest valleys; look on them as your own beloved sons, and they will stand by you even unto death."
      -Sun Tzu

Comment

At my department family members are prohibited from having supervisory roles, so three siblings can all be police officers together, but none of them will ever be promoted as long as they have family members on the dept.
        Last edited by just joe; 07-31-2014, 03:17 PM.

Comment

I like that policy. The only experience I've had with nepotism is a kid that graduated in the same academy as myself got put on road patrol at the Sheriff's dept instead of putting in any time the jail. That has been their policy for years. Deputies have to work at least 2 years in the jail before being able to put in to go on the road. Kind of struck me as odd. Then we found out that his dad is a Sgt. at the main PD in the county. Doesn't affect me, just thought it was strange.

Comment

The policy in most larger departments is that a family member can not DIRECTLY supervise another family member.

As such a brother(father, sister, mother, son) can be promoted but would never be in the chain of command of a relative.

Right now we have a chief deputy who's bother is a dispatcher.....................The chief dispatcher is between the dispatcher and the Chief.....The Attorney General ruled that is ok.

Originally posted by Billdozer79 View Post
            I like that policy. The only experience I've had with nepotism is a kid that graduated in the same academy as myself got put on road patrol at the Sheriff's dept instead of putting in any time the jail. That has been their policy for years. Deputies have to work at least 2 years in the jail before being able to put in to go on the road. Kind of struck me as odd. Then we found out that his dad is a Sgt. at the main PD in the county. Doesn't affect me, just thought it was strange.
            Sorry

That does NOT fit the definition of nepotism.

It might fit the definition of "old boys network" but you are talking totally different agency.

No nepotism involvved
            Last edited by Iowa #1603; 07-31-2014, 03:52 PM.
            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I think there are different types of nepotism. One type is also known as networking, and that's the only way many people got a job. You know someone within an organization, they vouch for you, you get hired. I think this kind is a little less frowned upon. I'm biased because that's how I got the job I had before being a police officer. So the first kind is just knowing someone who can get your foot in the door. The other kind is receiving preferential treatment once you're already in the company/organization/dept. I think that's the kind of nepotism that frustrates most people.

Comment

nep·o·tism [nep-uh-tiz-uhm]

noun

patronage bestowed or favoritism shown on the basis of family relationship, as in business and politics: She was accused of nepotism when she made her nephew an officer of the firm.
                I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Originally posted by allen_gamble View Post
                  I think there are different types of nepotism. One type is also known as networking, and that's the only way many people got a job. You know someone within an organization, they vouch for you, you get hired. I think this kind is a little less frowned upon. I'm biased because that's how I got the job I had before being a police officer. So the first kind is just knowing someone who can get your foot in the door. The other kind is receiving preferential treatment once you're already in the company/organization/dept. I think that's the kind of nepotism that frustrates most people.
                  NOPE

That has absolutely NOTHING to do with nepotism. Read GoldBadge's definition..

Networking is completely different.
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Pure nepotism is something I never really dealt with in a bad way. I did work for an SO where the jail administrator (Lt) had his son working directly for him as a detention officer with only a sergeant between the two in the CoC. There was no favoritism and the department was relatively small (16 detention staff) and the kids hiring did not appear to be done at the detriment of any other applicant. I never really saw any issues at any departments where the issue of nepotism was a problem. Parents and kids, sibling, extended family, spouses, etc are all common to work closely in LE.

Where I saw REAL problems with favoritism was where a supervisor started screwing someone in the organization or a close one (i.e. dispatch etc). I've watched that kind of favoritism destroy agencies, crews, shifts, freindships, and careers......true nepotism, not so much. I believe the same can be said of the civilian, military, and political worlds
                    Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
                    “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
                    “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
                    "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
                    ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

Originally posted by Langford PR View Post
                      P

Where I saw REAL problems with favoritism was where a supervisor started screwing someone in the organization or a close one (i.e. dispatch etc). I've watched that kind of favoritism destroy agencies, crews, shifts, freindships, and careers......true nepotism, not so much. I believe the same can be said of the civilian, military, and political worlds

oh yes...............................................

Comment

If it wasn't for nepotism, we would be out of business.

Now on the other hand, Expertism, Prostatism, Autoerotism, and Quixotism, especially from somebody suffering from Egotism, can pose serious problems in any agency.
                        September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

My father is a cobbler. I want to follow his footsteps. ( Bad Pun).

Seriously , Depts. that forbid father and son from working in same dept are working against themselves. I can see not working the same shift or being a supervisor, but anything else is just hurting some one.

I am sorry but due to the fact your father is a LT . here you cannot be an officer here. BTW Your father has NO intention of retiring. Nothing personal. It's just our policy.

Comment

Coming from a LE family I may have benefited a little from who my dad and grandfather are. I started my career a few hundred miles away from where my dad worked but there is no doubt in my mind that when I lateraled into the agency he retired from, my last name made it easier. The name helped but it also gave me a lot to live up to as well.
                            In God We Trust
                            Everyone else we run local and NCIC

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                              NOPE

That has absolutely NOTHING to do with nepotism. Read GoldBadge's definition..

Networking is completely different.
                              There are broader definitions of nepotism.

nep·o·tism
                              ˈnepəˌtizəm
                              noun
                              the practice among those with power or influence of favoring relatives or friends, especially by giving them jobs.
                              For instance, when I was growing up we had a family friend who was a judge. He lived next door until I was about 13 or so and after that I had very little contact with him. Fast forward about 14 years, and he gave me a job clerking for him. It was not particularly based on merit that I got the job. It was all about who I knew or who my parents knew.
                              The same kind of thing goes for fraternities/sororities.. you get hired because daddy was in the same frat as the boss. Or if some guy you went to high school with becomes a manager at Best Buy and "hooks you up" with a job.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6112 users online. 323 members and 5789 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X