300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coffee, Soda, or Energy drinks

With overtime shifts or those long nights was curious as to what everyone prefers. I for one cannot drink coffee unless there is a rest room instantly nearby plus the taste is terrible to me. Soda ehhh I started out downing a couple Mt. Dews when I'd get tired but have since stopped drinking soda/pop ( whole other conversation on what to call it soda or pop or simply just a coke) and went to water. Energy drinks make me jittery as all hell and the continued consumption just can't be healthy. 5 hour energy usually is ok but doesn't really do anything for me ... So I guess if I had to choose it would be a Dr. Pepper or a Coke. I prefer a good power nap before shift but that doesn't always happen ... So let's hear it what do you fine ladies and gents drink to get ya through those long lonesome boring nights haha

None of the above. I try and set my sleep pattern so I don't need that stuff.

Comment

I try too but unfortunately that doesn't always happen

Comment

I do not get much sleep working the 1900-0700 shift. It is very difficult to sleep in the daytime, so I have a thermos of coffee with me every night. It is a life saver!!

Comment

I do not like coffee. I prefer to not drink soda. I will absolutely not drink energy drinks. That can NOT be good for you. I usually do caffeinated tea. Same problem as the coffee though...bathroom break required.
          "Respect is earned. Honesty is appreciated. Trust is gained. Loyalty is returned."

Comment

I drink plentiful amounts of coffee and I love Rockstar and Monster energy drinks (the taste and the caffeine).

Comment

1 coffee at the start of shift. On occasion a monster rehab or rip it sugar free. Rarely soda, but tons of brewed iced tea.
              Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

I'm a new dad working a night shift. My family obligations cause me to get horrible sleep. I am absolutely addicted to Diet Coke (I don't like coffee). And yes, I've read many of the studies (or the articles about the studies) about Diet Coke. It's been shown to still cause weight gain, diabetes, and all kinds of other horrible stuff. I still go through about 1-2 Super Big Gulps per shift, especially when I'm working my off-duty gig.

I don't see anything changing until we get the little one into daycare (hopefully this Fall). For the time being though, I hope I don't develop any irreversible health problems.

Comment

Redline...
                  Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Originally posted by allen_gamble View Post
                    I'm a new dad working a night shift. My family obligations cause me to get horrible sleep. I am absolutely addicted to Diet Coke (I don't like coffee). And yes, I've read many of the studies (or the articles about the studies) about Diet Coke. It's been shown to still cause weight gain, diabetes, and all kinds of other horrible stuff. I still go through about 1-2 Super Big Gulps per shift, especially when I'm working my off-duty gig.

I don't see anything changing until we get the little one into daycare (hopefully this Fall). For the time being though, I hope I don't develop any irreversible health problems.
                    Allen I was in the same boat, DC was my go to. Everyone said its so bad etc etc, but I like the 0 calories, since I hate drinking empty calories. However, I'm trying to move away from dark soda in general, and have moved to sprite and ginger ale (yes I know they are full calorie) but the caramel coloring is what was starting to bother me.

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Originally posted by BikeCop501 View Post
                      Redline...
                      Now THAT is good stuff.

Comment

I've started drinking the propel stuff you put in water nice change up I think from just water but Stormz I too have been drinking a lot more brewed green tea and vitamin water. I try not to load the tea too much with sugar but I need some in it for taste. When I was younger all I drank was Monster, Red Bull, Mt.Dew, 5 hour energy's, but once I started nightshift I've stopped. It would do its job at night but I'd stay awake until late afternoon and my sleep habit was all kinds of messed up. I'd wake up groggy and lethargic. So I did away with the sodas and energy drinks and picked up water and tea and started getting better sleep. But on those odd occasions I'll go for a Coke but one of those smaller bottles.

Comment

Originally posted by Nathan571 View Post
                          Now THAT is good stuff.
                          First time I drank it, I had heart palpitations and didn't sleep for 3 days. No lie.

Comment

I used to drink a ton of soda when i was trying to get used to nights. FTO broke me of that. About 3 hours into a shift in week 2, I'd drank a huge soda from the Circle K. We had a non-emergency call that we took, and I said "I really need to pee before we head over there..." - So my FTO gets on the radio...

"Dispatch, preempt us on the 76, my date has to tinkle..."

Yeah, that was it for me. DONE.

Comment

Try sugar free energy drinks, 5 hour energy, or V8 Fusion energy.
                              I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3156 users online. 178 members and 2978 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X