300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "I Love Me" book

I've never been in the armed forces, but a fellow officer (ex-army) showed me this ingenious way of keeping up with important documents. An "I Love Me" book. I have taken the past month to create my own "I Love Me" book for my law enforcement career. It is a 3 ring binder with protective sheets. With that being said, here is the basic set-up I have created:

1) BLET certificate
    2) General Certification
    3) Year 19XX or 20XX (Whenever you started) forward
    (Certifications/Awards in chronological order, divided by year-page)
    4) Merit awards/certificates
    5) Birth Cert (copy)
    6) SSN (copy)
    7) Marriage License (copy)
    8) Driver's License (copy)
    9) Education Info
    etc etc etc.

I used to stick my certificates in a folder and just let it go at that. Now this book goes with me where ever I go. With this set up, is there anything else you, my fellow LEOs, would recommend?
    Ask them, Tell them, Make them.

WTF would I carry my SSN, birth certificate, and marriage license with me where ever I go?

If you feel the need to keep such a book, I'd strip out all the non-LEO related stuff and store that somewhere else. My personal papers stay in a fireproof box on the top shelf of my fireproof gun safe.
    I miss you, Dave.
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I have a similar book I use as my professional portfolio when going through job application porcesses. I have this order:
      Resume
      Transcrips
      HS
      College
      College
      Emergency Management certs
      Fire Certs
      Police Certs
      Emergency Management writing samples
      General Public safety writing samples
      letters of rec.
      Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
        WTF would I carry my SSN, birth certificate, and marriage license with me where ever I go?

If you feel the need to keep such a book, I'd strip out all the non-LEO related stuff and store that somewhere else. My personal papers stay in a fireproof box on the top shelf of my fireproof gun safe.
        CruiserClass, the purpose is to keep copies, not originals, for the purpose of having them on hand for job applications and other times you would need a copy. We all know how aggrivating it is to dig in the fire safe and find a certain document. (I keep the originals in a fire proof safe in order)
        Ask them, Tell them, Make them.

Comment

Originally posted by FiVo3 View Post
          CruiserClass, the purpose is to keep copies, not originals, for the purpose of having them on hand for job applications and other times you would need a copy. We all know how aggrivating it is to dig in the fire safe and find a certain document. (I keep the originals in a fire proof safe in order)
          Meh, I haven't applied for a job since I got hired with my current department and don't plan to ever again. If I did, I think I could have all of my papers that I need out in about 5 minutes or so.

I guess where you threw me is the "Now this book goes with me where ever I go." If that's the case, I wouldn't want all of that personal information in there.
          I miss you, Dave.
          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I keep all that crap scanned and uploaded to Dropbox and a couple other sites. I have folders set up for personal stuff, professional stuff, etc. I can pull up info on my phone anytime, or print off a packet to accompany a job application.

Not that I See myself leaving my current gig anytime soon. But I keep my paperwork organized regardless.
            Last edited by Resq14; 07-21-2014, 07:17 AM.
            All Gave Some - Some Gave All

{"data-align":"none","data-size":"custom","data-tempid":"temp_14312_1475388990098_890","height":"65","title":"flower.gif","width":"72"}

Comment

For education info, I suggest ordering some copies of official college transcripts and keeping them sealed (do not open them). This way, when you apply somewhere that wants official transcripts... you don't have to wait for snail mail.

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                Meh, I haven't applied for a job since I got hired with my current department and don't plan to ever again. If I did, I think I could have all of my papers that I need out in about 5 minutes or so.
                This.
                Anything worth shooting is worth shooting 3 or 4 times.

M-11

Comment

I used to keep all of my certificates in a nice folder, but after accumulating so many of them I generally find them laying in multiple places somewhere in my office, I've found a few in the trunk of my POV, and recently I found one under some stuff on my coffee table at home. I haven't kept an accurate record of my certificates for the last ten or fifteen years.

Comment

Originally posted by just joe View Post
                    I used to keep all of my certificates in a nice folder, but after accumulating so many of them I generally find them laying in multiple places somewhere in my office, I've found a few in the trunk of my POV, and recently I found one under some stuff on my coffee table at home. I haven't kept an accurate record of my certificates for the last ten or fifteen years.
                    Same here. After multiple moves at home, and transfers at work, it'd take me forever to find everything.
                    “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Comment

My I love me book contains any school related certificates and FDLE certificates. that's it. nothing else.

I have a sep folder with all the documents I would need if I need to re-apply somewhere (word document with all my past addreses, all court documents, copies of things etc)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2392 users online. 133 members and 2259 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 08:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X