300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The ridiculous isn't so ridiculous anymore

Ever realize you’re used to doing crazy ****? Seriously, this stuff use to be story worthy now it’s just another day. Granted I don’t know what kind of department you guys work for, you guys out in Mayberry might not understand what I’m talking about (relax I started in Mayberry I can justify to comparison).

Granted I didn’t just have an epiphany driving home today I’ve long realized my overwhelming comfort with the “Oh my god are you serious” but coming home today was just another file to add to the folder and the folder is getting thick. I should really be writing this stuff down, someone somewhere would pay at least a dollar to read them.

Ok yea, yea the story I got it.

Riding home doing the usual, changing Pandora, drinking my ceremonial end of shift Full Throttle and checking in online for my flight tomorrow. Now having the state as your playground is good stuff 99.9% of the time but right now I’m just trying to make it the last 9 miles to the house. Unless you pile your **** up right in front of me or do something that flips my switch to kill I won’t even look twice at you. Now was it partly my fault because I didn’t turn my radar off? Maybe, but when it lite up 91 it was game time regardless.

I drop into the median wide *** open, check that the oncoming lane is clear and reduce some tire life getting turned around. When I get eyes on him he has slammed on his brakes and crossed into the turning lane, he’s running. I make it a habit to not take wet 90 degree turns at 100 so I get my mighty steed whoa’d up, Oh yea I forgot to mention it’s raining. I just catch a glimpse of him passing a car on a double yellow and crossing over a hill. I get around said car and now it’s a straight shot, I let that bitch eat to 130 like a champ.

I get over the hill and there might has well been tumble weeds blowing around, homeslice straight vanished. I get stopped at a four way intersection where I look right, look left and nothing up ahead. I just turn everything off and turn around and head my now 10 miles to the house. I finish checking in for my flight, polish off my Full Throttle and pick a different station on my iPod like nothing happened.

47 seconds....

That’s it, it took 47 seconds to go from riding the right lane to drifting sideways into oncoming traffic to triple the speed limit in the rain to “Eh next time” and back to business as usual. I doubt my heart rate even increased anything significant.

I really hope 20 more years of this doesn’t make me totally numb.
    Originally posted by Rudy8116
    The only reason I have one in the chamber at all times is because it is impossible to have two in.

Originally posted by CruiserClass
    OC is my last option. I've never met anyone immune to electricity or physics.

It will. Paul

Comment

But you must ask yourself: Isn't this why I get out of bed, put on a gun and go to work?

It is for me. I wouldn't do well in a cubicle.
      I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Oh hell yes, when I throw on the batsuit and look in the mirror before heading out the door I still don't get how I am paid to do this. Even more so now being a trooper, it took everything that was amazing before and put it in superamazeballs overload.
        Originally posted by Rudy8116
        The only reason I have one in the chamber at all times is because it is impossible to have two in.

Originally posted by CruiserClass
        OC is my last option. I've never met anyone immune to electricity or physics.

Comment

Was gonna write "cool story, bro" but decide not to.

SUPPORT COP RUN BUSINESSES!!
          SUPPORT LEO BUSINESSES!

In 2017, the sales of my LEO related decals allowed me to donate over $350. to LE/ Military related charities... THANK YOU!!! Check them out HERE...

Comment

Our FTOs were on vacation the other night, so I took one of the rookies. We were just leaving the jail after an arrest, and we had a pretty good shot at getting off on time. But as we round the corner on foot, I come face to face with a guy urinating on the intercom box outside the sallyport. The rookie cuffed him, searched him, etc and we walked him right back inside the jail. The lady at the booking desk said "didn't you just leave?" And all I said was "yeah, but we caught this guy peeing on the jail." The rookie commented that he couldn't believe I could say that with a straight face. I told him to give it just 6 months and that type of thing would not seem strange to him.

That stuff doesn't worry me. What worries me is that I can carry on a 10 minute conversation with a schizophrenic off his meds about how long he's been a 4th degree ninja black belt and what degree belt you need to be able to legally carry throwing stars and a samurai sword.

Comment

Ahhhh, reminds of my last tour of midnights. Car passes me in the opposite lane going balls to the wall. Get behind him a breakneck speeds and light em up. Takes off like a bat out of hell. Dispatch advises that vehicle was involved in a shooting. So like hell yea here we go, but supervisor states that it was not a contact shooting so break it off. Turn off the lights and immediately pull into the 711 for my coffee.

Gotta love it, get paid to sit on my ***** and do nothing.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
                But you must ask yourself: Isn't this why I get out of bed, put on a gun and go to work?

Well said, sir.

Comment

I assume I'm in the minority but as a boss we'd be having a real conversation about doing 130 MPH in the rain to catch up with a speeder.

The most line of duty retirement we get is about 66% of your salary. I'd sit the guy down with his yearly salary and a calculator and have him do the math. Can he live off of that? Does he want to be in a wheel chair for the rest of his life and deal with chronic pain? We have a dangerous enough job without us putting ourselves in bad spots not thinking big picture at times. And with those speeds in those conditions he'd be lucky to get anything as the department is going to argue he was grossly negligent in his actions. Let's not even consider the possibility of you hitting and killing another person even if it isn't your fault you need to sleep at night.

Seen to many banged up cars and officers to think I or any of my co-workers are invincible in their police car.

I get heat of the moment and the "see bad guy get bad guy" but 130 in the rain to not even catch him for speeding as the only violation....just can't get on board with that at this point in my career.

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post

This is a second career for me; I spent about 10 years in cubicles and on airplanes, and my worst day as a cop is still about 1000x better than my best day in an office ever was.

You never worked in a cubicle? Brother, you ain't missing ****.

Comment

----------
                      Last edited by dgtx42; 02-22-2015, 11:49 PM.

Comment

A friend once told me, "Never do police work when your supposed to be doing something else because when you wake up in the hospital wearing a colostomy bag you'll say to yourself WTF was I thinking" He had a point.

Comment

Originally posted by 02paul09 View Post
                          Riding home doing the usual, changing Pandora, drinking my ceremonial end of shift Full Throttle and checking in online for my flight tomorrow.
                          I know I'm gonna come off as a whiner or something like that. Oh well.

The line I quoted above is the part of the story I have a problem with (if you choose to drive 130 in the rain, it's your ***, not mine). I see more and more of this in law enforcement. I'm seeing it more and more at my agency. Why were you checking stuff on the internet (I'm assuming on your phone, although it could have been on an in-car computer)? We hammer citizens all the time about distracted driving. The said thing is that cops have to be some of the worst offenders out there.

I've broken myself of the habit of screwing with MDC while driving. Now, I either pull over to mess with it, or I mess with it only while I'm sitting at a red light.

Not trying to be a complainer, but this story perfectly illustrates what has become, in my opinion, a VERY big problem within the LE community.
                          Anything worth shooting is worth shooting 3 or 4 times.

M-11

Comment

The "riding home" part would, at first glance anyway, suggest "while in motion." Then again, "riding home" could be taken as being on the motosickle, which would be even scarier. On horseback would be okay, as long as the horse knows the way to carry the sleigh. Or some dang thang.

Yeah, I'm bored. But it bears repeating: don't MDT and drive. And don't get engrossed in the terminal and let someone sneak up on you, either. Let's be careful out there.
                            --
                            Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

You bunch of puzzies, you should have caught them. I would drive 200 mph in the rain for a turn signal violation. I didn't get to where I am today by sluffing off my responsibilities....

and then I woke up....f them...go home safe.
                              September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3686 users online. 184 members and 3502 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X