300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• P/O to FBI?

Does anyone have any experience transitioning from local law enforcement to Federal, specifically FBI? I know having a background in law enforcement is listed as one of the potential qualifiers on their website, but how favorably is that looked upon? For example, how competitive would a current Philly PD Detective be as an applicant vs someone that speaks Russian or a CPA? Any insight would be appreciated.

LOTS of FBI agents are ex-city cops. A big city detective would be just as competitive as a CPA who speaks Russian or Mandarin, etc.
    I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

deleted, edited post is below
      Last edited by satpak77; 06-10-2014, 10:39 PM.

Comment

ideally you have "something special" such as a language, Spanish, Chinese, Russian, Arabic are always good. BUT ! LOTS of feds are ex-city cops

you DO need a 4 year degree. it can be underwater basket weaving but Accounting, Computer Related, etc get more points.

Try to invite the feds on some of your cases with possible joint interest, aka fraud, violent crimes, etc and do some networking.

go talk to your task force guys and try to get lunch with one of the federal guys at your desired agency. I strongly recommend that you do this (lunch/networking).

Comment

They recruit some street cops and sometimes a kid right of college with no experience. Depends on who they are looking to recruit. Most of the better agents I worked with have been former street cops. They usually look for things like degrees in computers, law degree or foreign language.

Comment

Being in a big city I work with the FBI frequently. Most have been nerds. One time I worked with an Agent who was exceptional so I asked and he was former Cleveland PD and had a 4 year degree.

Now the USMS tends to have more former cops. Because if you are great at catching fugitives locally they would like to move you up to the 'varasity'.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4202 users online. 229 members and 3973 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
            Working...
            X