Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ID Cards

Hey,
    In a few months my agency will need to issue new ID cards due to an election. Anyway, I'd like to recommend a change to cards for the law enforcement side of the Sheriff's Office pertaining to HR-218 and our right to carry. In other states around us a deputy is just a jail or court guy and I'm worried if I'm stopped and carrying they may not understand. Anyway, does anybody have such verbiage on their ID and if so, would you share how it's worded?

thanks.
    Deus Caritas Est

The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act- 18 USC 926B and 926C is how you should refer to the law. While folks still hang onto the original House Resolution as a way to identify with the law, the best practice is to stick with the enacted and current statute.

As for updating your active officers ID cards to ensure you are 'covered' keep it simple with something along the lines of

The Deputy Sheriff depicted is a sworn law enforcement officer for the county of Mayberry.
    You could add something like

In accordance with the provisions of the Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act (18 USC 926B)
    But you start to get into complicated areas and could eventually fill up the card with citations, references, etc. Just keep it simple-

LEOSA requires photographic identification from the employing agency that identifies you as a Law Enforcement Officer. Nothing more, nothing less.
    Originally posted by SSD
    It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
    Originally posted by Iowa #1603
    And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

Our ID cards were just changed to add "CCW Approved Nationwide HR-218".

Comment

Originally posted by HatTrick5oh View Post
        HR-218 was merely a resolution. sgt jon clarifies it here:
        Originally posted by sgt jon View Post
        The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act- 18 USC 926B and 926C is how you should refer to the law. While folks still hang onto the original House Resolution as a way to identify with the law, the best practice is to stick with the enacted and current statute.
        Law enforcement officers in every part of the country are smart enough to figure out that a Deputy Sheriff falls under law enforcement, surely that won't confuse anyone.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Originally posted by HatTrick5oh View Post
          As already noted- HR-218 referred to the original House Resolution number when the Bill was introduced. While lots of folks "know" LEOSA as this, you will never go wrong with an accurate citation of the actual law/statute; which in this case is 18 USC 926B (The Law Enforcement Officers Safety Act).

Just a sticking point with me.
          Originally posted by SSD
          It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.

Comment

Ours say "The authorized bearer of this card is a certified law enforcement officer empowered by the laws of the state of Texas. The holder qualifies for the right to carry a firearm under federal law, 18 USC 926B."

Comment

Originally posted by slamdunc View Post
              HR-218 was merely a resolution.
              Maybe so, but in the NYC area, cops refer to LEOSA as HR-218. When I mention LEOSA to cops, they look at me like I have 2 heads.
              I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
                Maybe so, but in the NYC area, cops refer to LEOSA as HR-218. When I mention LEOSA to cops, they look at me like I have 2 heads.
                I agree, that is the case here as well, but we can also figure out by looking at a commission or deputy card that the person is law enforcement. Otherwise, a call to the agency would clear up any question the officer has.

If the agency had to add a caveat to their i.d. cards, the proper wording would be something like:
                Originally posted by dc140 View Post
                "The authorized bearer of this card is a certified law enforcement officer empowered by the laws of the state of Texas. The holder qualifies for the right to carry a firearm under federal law, 18 USC 926B."
                “Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

Comment

My departmental ID just says Police Officer, my rank (PFC), Commission #, and my agency, THAT is enough for me to carry my firearm. I also keep my badge on me if I am carrying, as well.
                  The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                  that we are all that stands between
                  the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

It's our job to set them straight.
                    Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

Originally posted by 1911user View Post
                      35,000 NYPD and several thousand cops from surrounding areas. They call it HR-218 and that's the way it'll be. But, they do understand the law even though it's called something else by others.
                      I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

35,000 NYPD and several thousand cops from surrounding areas. They call it HR-218 and that's the way it'll be. But, they do understand the law even though it's called something else by others.
                        Indeed and a Google search will likely end up at LEOSA, but none the less it is always best to refer to the law by the correct statutory reference. Point being there are times when HR-218 could come up at a top level Google Search return as something like an agriculture bill.

As cops we cite under a statute, not the House or Senate Bill/Resolution number.

As I said- keep it simple:

The bearer is a sworn Law Enforcement Officer
                        it satisfied the statutory provisions of 18 USC 926B and dispels any potential confusion.
                        Originally posted by SSD

Comment

But, they do understand the law even though it's called something else by others.
                          ^^^This is all that really matters in the end.^^^
                          Originally posted by 1911user View Post
                          I have a hard enough time trying to explain The Bill of Rights to some of the veteran officers I work with. We tend to believe what we want to believe, no matter what is proper.

Miyamoto Musashi

Comment

When I researched this for my agency a few years ago I found the State of Texas had enacted standards for police ID cards. Substitute your state's name for "Texas" and they'll work anywhere. The only thing I'd add is the agency ORI number.

Sec. 614.122. PEACE OFFICERS. (a) The law enforcement agency or other governmental entity that appoints or employs a peace officer shall issue an identification card to its full-time or part-time peace officers.
                            (b) The identification card must include:
                            (1) the full name of the peace officer;
                            (2) a photograph of the peace officer consistent with the peace officer's appearance;
                            (3) the name of the law enforcement agency or other governmental entity that appointed or employs the peace officer or that the peace officer was elected to serve;
                            (4) if applicable, the signature of the person appointing or employing the person as a peace officer on behalf of the law enforcement agency or other governmental entity;
                            (5) a brief description of the peace officer, including the peace officer's height, weight, and eye color;
                            (6) the thumbprint of the peace officer or a bar code with a unique identification label for the peace officer;
                            (7) the date the law enforcement agency or other governmental entity appointed or employed the peace officer;
                            (8) the date the law enforcement agency or other governmental entity issued the card to the peace officer; and
                            (9) a phone number operational 24 hours a day, seven days a week that a person may call to verify the validity of the identification card.
                            (c) On the identification card, the law enforcement agency or other governmental entity that issues the card shall print:
                            (1) "State of Texas" and the state seal; and
                            (2) "This identification card certifies that (insert name of peace officer) is commissioned by (insert name of law enforcement agency or other governmental entity that appoints or employs the peace officer) as a (insert "full-time peace officer" or "part-time peace officer")."
                            (d) The head of a law enforcement agency or other governmental entity that appoints or employs a peace officer shall recover the identification card at the time of the peace officer's resignation or termination.

Comment

The carry is valid without the verbiage.

Our cards have it but if the other officer is going to be a dick he can be a dick with or without verbiage.

NYPD announced when LEOSA passed that they would arrest/ detain anyone carrying on creds in their city until the creds were verified. Don't know if it's still policy or ever became policy, but the point is you can be an *** no matter what the creds say.
                              "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4509 users online. 224 members and 4285 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X