300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• In-Car Gun Vaults

Folks, I am looking for a way to secure my firearm inside my patrol car and have been looking at the NanoVaults. Wally World has them on the cheap, about 30 bucks. There are times when I need to leave my Glock 21 in the car and I'd rather it be more secured than just lying in the trunk of my Crown Vic. I thought about mounting a NanoVault either under one of the seats, in the space behind the center console, or in the trunk.

Any ideas?
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

I bought this. It serves the purpose.

http://www.amazon.com/The-Club-LB200...0ZTY6C6VPFZA2Z
    Last edited by GoldBadge; 05-21-2014, 11:52 AM. Reason: Put in the wrong safe
    I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Looks like the first weak point is the cable. If a thief had the means to cut that, maybe a good pair of diagonal cutters, he can take the box home and open it at his leisure.

I found a video of someone busting one open in about three minutes, after the cable had been removed.

For about the same price, you can get a Bulldog car safe that slides and locks into a bolt-down metal bracket. It also has a cable. Looks a lot more secure.

I handled a case where we recovered a cop's gun, stolen from the trunk of his Crown Vic, parked in his driveway. $30 is cheap insurance against that.

Comment

I just use it as temporary storage area, like when I make a quick stop into a building that prohibits firearms.

When i was shopping these, I didn't go with Bulldog because I wanted something more mobile.
        I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

I was looking at ones that would fit my Glock 21, which is about 8.03in long.

In my SUV, I would store my firearm in the center console, which could not lock, and it wasn't big enough so that the handle of the Glock would bulge up and keep the console from closing.

Our new Tahoes have a vault built in for storage. When we go to the jail, we have to secure our firearms and I do not like just setting in the trunk, so this way I can at least, even if for cheap, I can somewhat secure it, and I doubt there are folks with boltcutters lurking around the jail.

Also looking for one to secure my off-duty Glock 36 in inside my personal truck.
          The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by jchughes05 View Post
            Our new Tahoes have a vault built in for storage. When we go to the jail, we have to secure our firearms and I do not like just setting in the trunk, so this way I can at least, even if for cheap, I can somewhat secure it, and I doubt there are folks with boltcutters lurking around the jail.
            Your jail doesn't have those little "mailboxes" for you to put your weapons into before entry? I know a lot of folks worry about forgetting their stuff when they leave jail, but if you put your car keys in there with your firearm, you won't get far without it.

Comment

They do, but I also have to dump my mags, taser, baton, knife.. and they don't fit in the lockboxes. I would rather keep them all in the same place (the car).

I Am the Sheepdog.

sigpic

Comment

Leave the other items in the car, lock the gun in the facility and take the Canoli.
                Hey Kidd, I've got more time On Meal than you have "On the Job"

Comment

I bought one of these 6 years ago when my Tacoma was just a baby. Custom designed to fit the entire center console space, thick gauge steel, easy to change 3-digt combo lock, and one very happy camper :-)
                  "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
                    I bought one of these 6 years ago when my Tacoma was just a baby. Custom designed to fit the entire center console space, thick gauge steel, easy to change 3-digt combo lock, and one very happy camper :-)
                    +1! I'm not very mechanically inclined, but these are easy to install and great addition if you ever take your vehicle to a car wash or utilize valet parking. Securing valuables (other than firearms) becomes an option with little effort involved.
                    "I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Comment

Where did you find that? it sounds way better and custom idea than my solution of bolting a standard safe in the back of my car.

Comment

Ok im a little lost. Other than booking a body at the jail what other reason would you need to disarm and lock up on the trunk? And isnt your jail area secured. Ours is the back behind the station. I dont think a guy is going to have time to break into my trunk get my gun before about 5 deputies are on him. The off duty of a car safe I get...... but if my gun doesnt go neither do.and if I know ahead of time that its a pain to take my gun I leave it locked at home.
                        Last edited by moparfan; 05-26-2014, 08:38 AM.
                        I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

Originally posted by Frank0060 View Post
                          Where did you find that? it sounds way better and custom idea than my solution of bolting a standard safe in the back of my car.
                          Console vault (one word) dot com
                          "It's a game of cat and mouse. It's a game of hide and seek. Albeit games with deadly consequences. Like most games-the better you know the rules, the more likely you are to win."

Comment

Console vault (one word) dot com
                            I once had one of those in my Tundra. It was very solid and worked well.

One caveat: a couple of years ago, some guys on a vehicle forum (of which I'm a member) contacted the company and asked if there would be any kind of discount for a "group buy" of these units. The company agreed to give a small discount (I forget exactly how much, but it was in the range of like 5%) for everyone interested. However, when a LOT of people signed up for it, they reneged and only granted the discount to something like the first 10 people who had signed up. Many thought it was kinda chicken^&IT to go back on your word like that. I only throw this out there because it may be important to some potential buyers.
                            "Sir, does this mean that Ann Margaret's not coming?"

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5633 users online. 319 members and 5314 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X