• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ultimate86
    replied
    Originally posted by ElDiabloJoe View Post
    Thank you.
    In reference to your above question, I would use 484f(a)PC or 484i(b)PC to make an arrest and investigate further at the station.
    Last edited by Ultimate86; 05-23-2014, 04:41 AM.

Leave a comment:

• ElDiabloJoe
    replied
    Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• NYCTNT
    replied
    You bin search the first 6.

Check other visual clues for signs of a fake card. Such as the signature area is not coarse and the first 4 numbers do not have a set of smaller first four of the c.c. Number printed under it.

If it's printed Bank of America and it shows up as bank of Hawaii, it is def more ammo to peg her with pointed questions and hook her up for further investigation.

If she lost the card, why did boa give her two cards?

Gives me a reason to hook her up, expand my investigation back at the precinct. If it all pans out, explain to the ADA of what you have and articulate how you came about with probable cause to make the arrest.

Let me elaborate a major key aspect of all this. I did also call the banks(whichever bank it was) and spoke with their l.e./security division. I faxed them over a copy of the card and they made a solid verification if it's their card or not. When I say hook them up, take them back to the station, do your investigation and proceed accordingly.

Here in nyc, we have "voided arrests". If it is learned they did not in fact commit a crime, we enter a voided arrest report and release them.

I'm not sure with your procedures out there but do whatever you feel comfortable. Since you have the card, call boa security division and verify with a retired cop who will gladly help you.

A bin search is not a one stop shop for arrests. It gives you a little more ammo to make the arrest, along with other signs of fraud. So please be mindful while you are out there making these stops and arrests.

It could very well be a prepaid style card?. It's still up in the air until you conclude your investigation. Some can take a quick glance of a second to make the arrest, others a couple of hours back at the station.
    Last edited by NYCTNT; 05-21-2014, 11:57 PM.

Leave a comment:

• ElDiabloJoe
    replied
    Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
    Your easiest and fastest way is doing a simple BIN search on your smartphone, if you have one. If you have not tried the website I told you to go to, then you are slacking. If you have no computer, you have to do it the basic way, or invest in a handheld machine,

If a fake card has a MC logo but it comes back VISA, you know it's a fraud. If nothing comes up, you have a fraud. Just about every banking institution is on the bin search.

I had perps have decent looking chase cards but a quick BIN search showed me a different banking institution. Gave me enough to hook him up.

Many of these frauds need to have visual aided clues to be spotted first that gives your PC to start swiping cards. Such as scratches on the face of the card, no rough signature area, mismatched numbers, report/call from store representative, perps going store to store to store with quick purchase, usually one is outside as a look out, or stays near the front. 99% of these cards give you visual clues right off the bat that it's a fraud. No holograms, and other hints I already pointed out.

You can't just go and start swiping cards at random, at least definantly not here in the state of NEW YORK.
    Okay, so- a question. I jammed up one of our 47 year old female lifetime local addicts. She had two Bank of America debit cards on her. Both said, "Preferred Customer." I bin based the cards and they came back to Bank of Hawaii. Is this PC to arrest? If so, what California Penal Code Section (484g?) would be appropriate?

Here are the cards, for your insight:

4815 8200 4653 4xxx
    4815 8200 4653 4xxx Numerically the last three numbers are different than above card from being exact by only 8 numbers. If the top card was 4444, the bottom one was 4438 (example)

Should the first 12 digits being identical be a clue to me? She said BofA gave them to her as temporaries since she lost hers. Valid explanation?

Leave a comment:

• Ultimate86
    replied
    Your easiest and fastest way is doing a simple BIN search on your smartphone, if you have one. If you have not tried the website I told you to go to, then you are slacking. If you have no computer, you have to do it the basic way, or invest in a handheld machine,

If a fake card has a MC logo but it comes back VISA, you know it's a fraud. If nothing comes up, you have a fraud. Just about every banking institution is on the bin search.

I had perps have decent looking chase cards but a quick BIN search showed me a different banking institution. Gave me enough to hook him up.

Many of these frauds need to have visual aided clues to be spotted first that gives your PC to start swiping cards. Such as scratches on the face of the card, no rough signature area, mismatched numbers, report/call from store representative, perps going store to store to store with quick purchase, usually one is outside as a look out, or stays near the front. 99% of these cards give you visual clues right off the bat that it's a fraud. No holograms, and other hints I already pointed out.

You can't just go and start swiping cards at random, at least definantly not here in the state of NEW YORK.
    I owe you beers bro.

I checked out the site and it looks like a great tool. I'm gonna make some stops today and try to put this stuff to work.

Leave a comment:

• mdrdep
    replied
    How to get there.

If you happen to be in a position to get your hands on someones cards. A lot of people tend to wrap their last receipt around their card. Take a quick glance at the receipt, last four of the card should be displayed on card. If they don't match the card, it's time to start digging.

Two types of cards out there. Legitimate card that has the magnetic strip recoded and straight forged cards. Good clues have been give to look for on both here.

Leave a comment:

• NYCTNT
    replied
    Originally posted by Ultimate86 View Post
    Sounds like a computer in the car would be needed for that setup. I lack that... Ugh.

Last edited by NYCTNT; 05-12-2014, 01:16 PM.

Leave a comment:

• DigitalFrenchie
    replied
    Basically what NYCTNT said.

My contact said any reader will work. He recommended a company named "MAGTEK", and that eBay is likely the cheapest route. No software necessary...plug into USB, open up a word document, and bam...all the details.

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...eader&_sacat=0

Handheld readers for use without a computer are obviously more $$, but they exist.

http://tyner.com/magnetic/msr600.htm

Edit: OP, shot you a PM.

Second Edit: I updated the second link. That's the one Secret Service uses in the task force my contact works in.
    Last edited by DigitalFrenchie; 05-12-2014, 12:04 PM.

Leave a comment:

• Ultimate86
    replied
    Yeah bro. Sometimes you have to invest to get these idiots off the streets.

Try ebay for a generic skimmer. Mine was just a small black box. As noted above I open windows word and a series of codes and 16 digits appear. It might look like gibberish but it makes sense once you do it a few times.
    Sounds like a computer in the car would be needed for that setup. I lack that... Ugh.

Leave a comment:

• NYCTNT
    replied
    Yeah bro. Sometimes you have to invest to get these idiots off the streets.

Try ebay for a generic skimmer. Mine was just a small black box. As noted above I open windows word and a series of codes and 16 digits appear. It might look like gibberish but it makes sense once you do it a few times.

Leave a comment:

• Ultimate86
    replied
    Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
    Our card readers (same that swipe license info) will also export the information encoded on a magnetic strip. We open a Word document, swipe the card, and it puts it in the document. Compare it to what's actually prited/embosed on the card. If they don't match it's a quick trip to jail.
    Our technology is in the dark ages. I wish I had a scanner in the car.

Leave a comment:

• Ultimate86
    replied
    I know the game very well. I just never heard of them called "access cards".

I was assigned to financial crimes for a brief stint. As well as grand larceny task force.

Doing a BIN search as it is the easiest way to do it from the field via smartphone/tablet.

They love using gold dot cards and the stamping is typically off and certain identifiers are not as they should be. Such as numbers mismatching from front to rear.

Go to the website I already posted and try it.
    Just type in the first 6 numbers, then type in the "captcha security" code. Copy and past the code given and press enter.

It will give you the type of card, either Visa/MC/Amex, etc. and the banking institution it belongs to.

Before I left the assignment, the perps were getting more lucrative and matching the numbers they had to the numbers on the card, as well as their own name. Their mistake is the hologram which looks good at first glance, but upon examination is terrible.

Last 4 numbers hardly matched the signature strip numbers and were never engraved as real cards, nor do the first 4 match the small numbers under the first four on the front of the card.

Signature panel never had a coarse finish for ink to stay permanent as real cards have it. They were typically just made to look like a signature area but was still just as smooth and slick as the card.

There were numerous tell tale signs of a fraudulent card that had to be conveyed to the ADA to convince them we knew what we had.

Our biggest fraudsters were guys walking around with a wallet full of vanilla gift cards. We knew they were loaded but very hard to make a summary arrest on them.

We would usually have a cop identify themselves right after the perp made he transaction and get a copy of the receipt. Once we had enough r/s to stop them, we check the receipts last 4 numbers with the gift card numbers and if it was a mismatch, off they go the jail.

We skimmed the cards through a generic credit card reader and it printed out the full number encoded on the card. I can't tell you which make reader it was exactly.

I remember I had a small swiper that was hit of miss that I bought off of ebay. Small black box, maybe 2 inches big with a USB cable to the computer.

Hard to articulate that but we never had a charge dropped.

In the field a quick bin search gave us enough to hook them up. I say them because it's usually more than 2 and they drive in rental cards. At least that was my clue around here. Criminal profiling at its best.

Fantastic post. Thank you.

Leave a comment:

• Monty Ealerman
    replied
    edited to remove
    Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 05-11-2014, 08:25 PM.

Leave a comment:

• mdrdep
    replied
    Our card readers (same that swipe license info) will also export the information encoded on a magnetic strip. We open a Word document, swipe the card, and it puts it in the document. Compare it to what's actually prited/embosed on the card. If they don't match it's a quick trip to jail.

Leave a comment:

• NYCTNT
    replied
    I know the game very well. I just never heard of them called "access cards".

I was assigned to financial crimes for a brief stint. As well as grand larceny task force.

Doing a BIN search as it is the easiest way to do it from the field via smartphone/tablet.

They love using gold dot cards and the stamping is typically off and certain identifiers are not as they should be. Such as numbers mismatching from front to rear.

Go to the website I already posted and try it.
    Just type in the first 6 numbers, then type in the "captcha security" code. Copy and past the code given and press enter.

It will give you the type of card, either Visa/MC/Amex, etc. and the banking institution it belongs to.

Before I left the assignment, the perps were getting more lucrative and matching the numbers they had to the numbers on the card, as well as their own name. Their mistake is the hologram which looks good at first glance, but upon examination is terrible.

Last 4 numbers hardly matched the signature strip numbers and were never engraved as real cards, nor do the first 4 match the small numbers under the first four on the front of the card.

Signature panel never had a coarse finish for ink to stay permanent as real cards have it. They were typically just made to look like a signature area but was still just as smooth and slick as the card.

There were numerous tell tale signs of a fraudulent card that had to be conveyed to the ADA to convince them we knew what we had.

Our biggest fraudsters were guys walking around with a wallet full of vanilla gift cards. We knew they were loaded but very hard to make a summary arrest on them.

We would usually have a cop identify themselves right after the perp made he transaction and get a copy of the receipt. Once we had enough r/s to stop them, we check the receipts last 4 numbers with the gift card numbers and if it was a mismatch, off they go the jail.

We skimmed the cards through a generic credit card reader and it printed out the full number encoded on the card. I can't tell you which make reader it was exactly.

I remember I had a small swiper that was hit of miss that I bought off of ebay. Small black box, maybe 2 inches big with a USB cable to the computer.

Hard to articulate that but we never had a charge dropped.

In the field a quick bin search gave us enough to hook them up. I say them because it's usually more than 2 and they drive in rental cards. At least that was my clue around here. Criminal profiling at its best.
    Last edited by NYCTNT; 05-11-2014, 02:09 PM.

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4481 users online. 278 members and 4203 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X