Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Credit card reader

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Credit card reader

    Hey all,

    Skimming is a pretty big problem in my area so I'm looking to buy a device where I can swipe access cards to verify that the number encoded on the strip match the numbers on the card. Do any of your agencies have this sort of device?

    I'd appreciate any links you can give me for places online to buy.

  • #2
    Get one from one of your local merchants. The big stores will help you out.
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

    Comment


    • #3
      Ehh..

      Swipe access cards or credit cards?
      Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
        Ehh..

        Swipe access cards or credit cards?
        Access card is a general term for credit cards, debit cards, prepaid cards, or anything with a magnetic stripe on the back.

        Comment


        • #5
          Yeah? News to me.

          Access cards in my neck of the woods allow you into a restricted area. Credit/debit cards allow access to your money.

          Learn something new everyday.

          Anyhow you do not need one of this. Go to BINBASE.COM

          you type in the first six numbers and it tells you what bank, etc it goes back to.
          Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
            Yeah? News to me.

            Access cards in my neck of the woods allow you into a restricted area. Credit/debit cards allow access to your money.

            Learn something new everyday.

            Anyhow you do not need one of this. Go to BINBASE.COM

            you type in the first six numbers and it tells you what bank, etc it goes back to.
            Fraudsters commonly encode stolen credit card information on the card's magnetic strip but will emboss a different name and credit card number on the card itself. My intention here is to be able to swipe suspicious cards through this device to determine the number on the stripe matches the number on the card.

            No one has one of these??

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Ultimate86 View Post
              Fraudsters commonly encode stolen credit card information on the card's magnetic strip but will emboss a different name and credit card number on the card itself. My intention here is to be able to swipe suspicious cards through this device to determine the number on the stripe matches the number on the card.

              No one has one of these??
              I have a friend in financial crimes over here, I'll call tomorrow and find out the best way to get one. I know CBP has them along the northern border as well. Huge problem with a lot of the perps coming from Canada to do the deed since we don't have the chip.
              sigpic
              __________________

              "I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

              -Thee Rant (surprisingly)
              __________________

              Originally posted by NYCTNT
              DF,

              Why do you bother?

              Comment


              • #8
                I know the game very well. I just never heard of them called "access cards".

                I was assigned to financial crimes for a brief stint. As well as grand larceny task force.

                Doing a BIN search as it is the easiest way to do it from the field via smartphone/tablet.

                They love using gold dot cards and the stamping is typically off and certain identifiers are not as they should be. Such as numbers mismatching from front to rear.

                Go to the website I already posted and try it.
                Just type in the first 6 numbers, then type in the "captcha security" code. Copy and past the code given and press enter.

                It will give you the type of card, either Visa/MC/Amex, etc. and the banking institution it belongs to.

                Before I left the assignment, the perps were getting more lucrative and matching the numbers they had to the numbers on the card, as well as their own name. Their mistake is the hologram which looks good at first glance, but upon examination is terrible.

                Last 4 numbers hardly matched the signature strip numbers and were never engraved as real cards, nor do the first 4 match the small numbers under the first four on the front of the card.

                Signature panel never had a coarse finish for ink to stay permanent as real cards have it. They were typically just made to look like a signature area but was still just as smooth and slick as the card.

                There were numerous tell tale signs of a fraudulent card that had to be conveyed to the ADA to convince them we knew what we had.

                Our biggest fraudsters were guys walking around with a wallet full of vanilla gift cards. We knew they were loaded but very hard to make a summary arrest on them.

                We would usually have a cop identify themselves right after the perp made he transaction and get a copy of the receipt. Once we had enough r/s to stop them, we check the receipts last 4 numbers with the gift card numbers and if it was a mismatch, off they go the jail.

                We skimmed the cards through a generic credit card reader and it printed out the full number encoded on the card. I can't tell you which make reader it was exactly.

                I remember I had a small swiper that was hit of miss that I bought off of ebay. Small black box, maybe 2 inches big with a USB cable to the computer.

                Hard to articulate that but we never had a charge dropped.

                In the field a quick bin search gave us enough to hook them up. I say them because it's usually more than 2 and they drive in rental cards. At least that was my clue around here. Criminal profiling at its best.
                Last edited by NYCTNT; 05-11-2014, 02:09 PM.
                Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Our card readers (same that swipe license info) will also export the information encoded on a magnetic strip. We open a Word document, swipe the card, and it puts it in the document. Compare it to what's actually prited/embosed on the card. If they don't match it's a quick trip to jail.
                  Today's Quote:

                  "The difference between stupidity and genius is that genius has its limits."
                  Albert Einstein

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    edited to remove
                    Last edited by Monty Ealerman; 05-11-2014, 08:25 PM.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                      I know the game very well. I just never heard of them called "access cards".

                      I was assigned to financial crimes for a brief stint. As well as grand larceny task force.

                      Doing a BIN search as it is the easiest way to do it from the field via smartphone/tablet.

                      They love using gold dot cards and the stamping is typically off and certain identifiers are not as they should be. Such as numbers mismatching from front to rear.

                      Go to the website I already posted and try it.
                      Just type in the first 6 numbers, then type in the "captcha security" code. Copy and past the code given and press enter.

                      It will give you the type of card, either Visa/MC/Amex, etc. and the banking institution it belongs to.

                      Before I left the assignment, the perps were getting more lucrative and matching the numbers they had to the numbers on the card, as well as their own name. Their mistake is the hologram which looks good at first glance, but upon examination is terrible.

                      Last 4 numbers hardly matched the signature strip numbers and were never engraved as real cards, nor do the first 4 match the small numbers under the first four on the front of the card.

                      Signature panel never had a coarse finish for ink to stay permanent as real cards have it. They were typically just made to look like a signature area but was still just as smooth and slick as the card.

                      There were numerous tell tale signs of a fraudulent card that had to be conveyed to the ADA to convince them we knew what we had.

                      Our biggest fraudsters were guys walking around with a wallet full of vanilla gift cards. We knew they were loaded but very hard to make a summary arrest on them.

                      We would usually have a cop identify themselves right after the perp made he transaction and get a copy of the receipt. Once we had enough r/s to stop them, we check the receipts last 4 numbers with the gift card numbers and if it was a mismatch, off they go the jail.

                      We skimmed the cards through a generic credit card reader and it printed out the full number encoded on the card. I can't tell you which make reader it was exactly.

                      I remember I had a small swiper that was hit of miss that I bought off of ebay. Small black box, maybe 2 inches big with a USB cable to the computer.

                      Hard to articulate that but we never had a charge dropped.

                      In the field a quick bin search gave us enough to hook them up. I say them because it's usually more than 2 and they drive in rental cards. At least that was my clue around here. Criminal profiling at its best.

                      Fantastic post. Thank you.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by mdrdep View Post
                        Our card readers (same that swipe license info) will also export the information encoded on a magnetic strip. We open a Word document, swipe the card, and it puts it in the document. Compare it to what's actually prited/embosed on the card. If they don't match it's a quick trip to jail.
                        Our technology is in the dark ages. I wish I had a scanner in the car.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Yeah bro. Sometimes you have to invest to get these idiots off the streets.

                          Try ebay for a generic skimmer. Mine was just a small black box. As noted above I open windows word and a series of codes and 16 digits appear. It might look like gibberish but it makes sense once you do it a few times.
                          Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
                            Yeah bro. Sometimes you have to invest to get these idiots off the streets.

                            Try ebay for a generic skimmer. Mine was just a small black box. As noted above I open windows word and a series of codes and 16 digits appear. It might look like gibberish but it makes sense once you do it a few times.
                            Sounds like a computer in the car would be needed for that setup. I lack that... Ugh.

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Basically what NYCTNT said.

                              My contact said any reader will work. He recommended a company named "MAGTEK", and that eBay is likely the cheapest route. No software necessary...plug into USB, open up a word document, and bam...all the details.

                              http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_odkw...eader&_sacat=0

                              Handheld readers for use without a computer are obviously more $$, but they exist.

                              http://tyner.com/magnetic/msr600.htm

                              Edit: OP, shot you a PM.

                              Second Edit: I updated the second link. That's the one Secret Service uses in the task force my contact works in.
                              Last edited by DigitalFrenchie; 05-12-2014, 12:04 PM.
                              sigpic
                              __________________

                              "I pity guys like you, I truly do. Everything you own and have you can thank the job for and still you despise it. I don't understand how any man can choose a career, hate it from the beginning, not have the balls to leave, and then complain about it once he's retired."

                              -Thee Rant (surprisingly)
                              __________________

                              Originally posted by NYCTNT
                              DF,

                              Why do you bother?

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 4355 users online. 275 members and 4080 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X