Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've got a benchmade assisted opening one clipped onto my left cargo pocket, a pain to try and get out in a tussle but easy enough if not fighting someone. It has a locking mechanism on it to keep it closed. Next to it in my cargo pocket is a Benchmade Soc-p fixed blade. That's the one that's going to be used if things are going sideways and upside down.

Comment

I keep a folder in my pocket and a TDI on my belt, support side. I carry it between my inner belt and duty belt so only a small portion of it is visible/accessible. I don't see this as a safety issue. It's like anything else, train with it and just be mindful that its there.

Comment

A horizontal unsecured 8 inch knife, what could possibly go wrong? I'd say something or at least ask him non-chalantly about how that works for him and whatnot. I personally have a knife in each pocket (left and right) and I had a kershaw Ripcord on my duty belt for a time. I like the kershaw, but I'm a skinny guy so when I re-organized my belt to get more to the front and off of my back I had to do away with it unfortunately.

Comment

Here is just a thought coming from both a lawyer and a three decade cop. We all know very well the outcome of a deadly force use incident. Investigations, interviews, etc. Then comes the city attorney or county counsel who, in responding to a governmental records demand by the next of kin's lawyer, is asked to produce training records for the involved officer. If the knife comes into play in the incident in any way , they will want the knife training records also. If there isn't any, well...you know how the story ends. Bottom line, I believe administrators need to provide knife retention and use training, and be very careful about what knives are allowed to be carried on duty and how they are carried. It is a tool, just like a handgun or a baton....we need to train in their use.
          Last edited by LawyerCop; 07-05-2014, 09:10 PM.
          T.K.
          http://tonykoester.blogspot.com/

"Nothing can destroy a government more quickly than its failure to observe its own laws, or worse, its disregard of the charter of its own existence" (Mr. Justice Stewart, Elkins v. United States 364 U.S. 206 (1960)

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by LawyerCop View Post
            Here is just a thought coming from both a lawyer and a three decade cop. We all know very well the outcome of a deadly force use incident. Investigations, interviews, etc. Then comes the city attorney or county counsel who, in responding to a governmental records demand by the next of kin's lawyer, is asked to produce training records for the involved officer. If the knife comes into play in the incident in any way , they will want the knife training records also. If there isn't any, well...you know how the story ends. Bottom line, I believe administrators need to provide knife retention and use training, and be very careful about what knives are allowed to be carried on duty and how they are carried. It is a tool, just like a handgun or a baton....we need to train in their use.
            I agree their should be specific training on the above, but if the use of the knife was necessary to defend your life or another, it should not be a problem. For example, if a POS is trying to disarm you, you use the GUN (grab, undo, neutralize) technique of weapon retention, but that doesn't work, an officer would be justified in using a knife to stop the threat. Even if that means killing the POS with the knife.

From our DAAT manual.

"Use of Force Category

The Defensive and Arrest Tactics Training Guide states when an officer uses force as part of his or her law enforcement duties, the use of force must fit into one of these categories to be justifiable:

1. A trained technique.
            2. A dynamic application of a trained technique
            (i.e., not quite the classroom model,but as close to it as possible under the circumstances).
            3. A technique not trained, but justifiable under the circumstances.
            Last edited by AI_guy; 07-06-2014, 09:53 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by AI_guy View Post
              3. A technique not trained, but justifiable under the circumstances.
              Ok, it was fine by policy....................BUT---Lawyercop IS correct that the action WILL come up in litigation later down the road and anything NOT TRAINED will cause a JURY to look twice or more at the situation.....

Truly-------------in a fight for my life I am going to use anything available whether I am trained in the object or not,
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                Ok, it was fine by policy....................BUT---Lawyercop IS correct that the action WILL come up in litigation later down the road and anything NOT TRAINED will cause a JURY to look twice or more at the situation.....

Truly-------------in a fight for my life I am going to use anything available whether I am trained in the object or not,

Agreed, anything-and-everything will be litigated in civil court, its a sham... But really that is not something WE as LEO's should worry about. That's the city/county/state's problem.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5091 users online. 283 members and 4808 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                Working...
                X