Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Office Safety and fixed bladed knifes on duty belt

Hey Everyone,

I have what I believe is an Officer Safety issue but before I go to far I want to hear what other people have to say.

I work in a fast growing city with a great group of guys. The issue is not with the dept. I work in, but with a Deptuy Sheriff in our county. I have heard about this guy, but wasnt until earlier this week that he assisted me on a call and as soon as he walked up, the Officer Safety alarm went off as loud as it could. It wasnt the person that set off my concern but what and where a tool was on his duty belt.

As this D.S. walked up to me for the first time (having never meet him before), I observed a fixed bladed knife approximately 8-10 inches long (including the handle) in a plastic sheath mounted horizontially to the front of his duty belt where the magazine pouch should be. To make things worse, upon further examination after dealing with the call, the knife did not have a way to secure it. So it could be easily pulled out by the officer (or a POS). To make matters worse, his mag pouch was on his left hip at about the 8 O'Clock Position.

So here is my question: Am I wrong with thinking this is a HUGE OFFICER SAFETY ISSUE? Has anyone else seen officers do this???

Originally posted by Shpdog2013 View Post
    Hey Everyone,

I have what I believe is an Officer Safety issue but before I go to far I want to hear what other people have to say.

I work in a fast growing city with a great group of guys. The issue is not with the dept. I work in, but with a Deptuy Sheriff in our county. I have heard about this guy, but wasnt until earlier this week that he assisted me on a call and as soon as he walked up, the Officer Safety alarm went off as loud as it could. It wasnt the person that set off my concern but what and where a tool was on his duty belt.

As this D.S. walked up to me for the first time (having never meet him before), I observed a fixed bladed knife approximately 8-10 inches long (including the handle) in a plastic sheath mounted horizontially to the front of his duty belt where the magazine pouch should be. To make things worse, upon further examination after dealing with the call, the knife did not have a way to secure it. So it could be easily pulled out by the officer (or a POS). To make matters worse, his mag pouch was on his left hip at about the 8 O'Clock Position.

So here is my question: Am I wrong with thinking this is a HUGE OFFICER SAFETY ISSUE? Has anyone else seen officers do this???
    Have you thought about asking him about it?

Comment

He may have equipped himself to be in line with his training; it wouldn't work for me at all. IMHO, handcuffs in the rear is a huge officer safety issue. There are those on this forum who debate me on this but if they trained that way, who am I to say it won't work for them.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

I also see a huge knife (unsecured) as a safety issue, if an officer walk up to me while I have a suspect in custody, I would ask him to stay away from my suspect, I don't wanna get stabbed or cut. where you put the mag pouch or cuffs doesn't much matter as it isn't much of a safety issue, but the keys YES and knifes YES

Comment

I have seen the horizontal knife and consider it a safety issue as well.

Comment

I know where I am , the deputies on shift at any given time have varying advanced skill sets. They know how to do all aspects of their job, they are just better at one thing than the rest. There is one deputy who is like the accident guru. He can do traffic, but he just excels at accidents. Another has the nose of a blood hound, and the personality of a mop. You put the whole group together, and no 2 are equipped exactly the same.

I am not defending this guy you are talking about because I don't know him. But I have found that officers/deputies who seek out more training in first aide or emergency response - tend to have sharp pointy slicey things where I definitely wouldn't. Our "accident guy" looks like Edward Scissorhands when he arrives at an accident scene with entrapment.

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
              Have you thought about asking him about it?
              Ditto. I've never seen what you're describing and if I did it would certainly make me concerned & curious. Talk to the guy and find out that 1) it is a knife and 2) why he carries in such a way. If it still concerns you after that make sure he understands your concerns and where he needs to be with that knife on YOUR calls.

Btw, I've known several LEO who carry fixed blades under clothing as a back up weapon but never displayed on a belt.
              Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
              “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
              “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
              "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
              ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

I have this knife described like you said so, behind my magazine pouch, which is vertical and in the 11ish oclock position. It is a last chance knife, and I have been trained how to use it and how to retain it. It is also weakhand draw. Is this the one you are talking about?

BTW its measurements are Blade length 2-5/16"; Overall length 5-5/8"
                Last edited by BikeCop501; 05-08-2014, 03:37 PM. Reason: wrong code
                Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

Wow, you got to go on a call with Chuck Norris?

All kidding aside, have a chat with the man. You might learn something from him, you may school him, or you may school each other.

Some of the goofiest things I've seen on the road have turned out to be tactics that I later adopted for myself.
                  Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by Richard1971 View Post
                    I also see a huge knife (unsecured) as a safety issue, if an officer walk up to me while I have a suspect in custody, I would ask him to stay away from my suspect, I don't wanna get stabbed or cut. where you put the mag pouch or cuffs doesn't much matter as it isn't much of a safety issue, but the keys YES and knifes YES
                    The keys?
                    For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Originally posted by jeffIL View Post
                      The keys?
                      Think about the purpose of the keys and what you wouldn't be able to do without them.
                      Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Unlock my car to get a cup of coffee?
                        For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

You guys carry knives on your belts?

Comment

Originally posted by Mulgrave600 View Post
                            You guys carry knives on your belts?
                            Most people in my area carry them in pockets..................clipped to the pocket for easy access

Many years ago I carried a "boot knife" which was a straight dagger type knife.

As far as the OP--------------------if the Deputy is anything but a rookie boot, I would trust that he has the training commensurate with the tools he carries. Most guys I know don't want to be carrying something they aren't fairly proficient with......ESPECIALLY if it is a "non standard issue" item.

Ask him and you might learn something
                            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by TheTick
                              ........................It takes balls to tell someone that what they are doing is ****ed up instead of just giggling about him with other cops while awaiting the arrival of his impending stabbing.
                              Spot on.
                              Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
                              “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
                              “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
                              "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
                              ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 6189 users online. 339 members and 5850 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X