300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It's ok, I'm in Criminal Justice.

Between warm weather and school winding down during finals, I feel like I've met way more goofy criminal justice students recently. In the past week a few have stuck out.

#1 was while I was handcuffing a kid with a bunch of weed a paraphernalia in his car. "Is this going to hurt my chances of being like you? I'm in criminal justice." When I told him getting arrested for drugs probably won't help his chances, he explained that he doesn't actually want to be like me, he just wants to be a homicide detective...

#2 was driving with a revoked license and about 100lbs overweight. He wanted to know how much my department paid, and if he applied when he could start. I reminded him that I drive a car for a living, and have to fit in the car. He told me he'd just work for a crooked department that would sneak him on, because he has a lot to offer...because he took criminal justice classes.

#3 during a stop in a gas station lot with two young productive members of society practicing the splits and hanging onto the car trunk a kid started to walk between me and scab #1 to ask how he could "get on." After a brief reminder to stay out of the way and the stop was finished, we had a talk about common sense. He told me his professor told him to ask cops he met how to apply, and if I had an application in my car.

#4 had some failure to appear warrants.....

I don't blame these dopes for wanting to be cops like they see on T.V., I just wonder what sort of schools and professors are encouraging (or not discouraging) them to act this way. I never took criminal justice, so I don't know what goes on in there.

Don't worry. I know what I'm doing. I took Criminal Justice.
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

And that is why I don't teach at the college (just the academy). I proctored one test and was appaled at the disinterested, rude students who were only there so they could live at home rent-free. I could not pick out a single one who looked to be truly interested in LE.

I know of and have worked with terrible officers who later retired & taught CJ at the college. I could see one of them telling the student to ask a cop they see how to apply.

Comment

Had a law student that I had stopped for speeding and suspicion of DUI tell me that he "knows my job". After requesting him to exit the car multiple times with a refusal, he learned the statute of "obstructing or resisting" that night. So much for law school...
        F.O.G. Holsters - The Last Holster You'll Ever Need

Comment

I arrested a law students for DUI, Reckless Driving, Minor in Possession of Alcohol, Too Fast for Conditions, and Improper Passing. When I stopped him I asked if he would step out and "take a few tests to make sure you're safe to drive". He refused but let me check him for HGN as he sat in the car... 6 out of 6 clues later he was under arrest. Found a half empty bottle of whiskey under the seat during the impound inventory.
          Originally posted by Ceridwen
          Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

In Adult Learning Theory we learn that everyone learns differently. Obviously the law student thought he was a book learner but he was was a "tactical" learner. He excelled in Scenario based training.

Comment

I'm break'in this "closed" tready up'z.....

O.K. Peep's..

As A professional, certified, bona fide post and grad educator in da' following prerequisites. Like Electrical engineering, Physics, Mathematics, Psychology, Bio-medicine, Gun smith'in + ballistics, (internal and external), tha' war of Chess.

Now,,,Now'z..iz' gunna' start ta' blab...

Originally posted by eagleI View Post
              In Adult Learning Theory we learn that everyone learns differently. Obviously the law student thought he was a book learner but he was was a "tactical" learner. He excelled in Scenario based training.

Sire Det. eagleI tiz' right...

some peeps learn by "hands-on"
              "visual cues"
              "lecture"
              "Movement" in classroom
              "Tonal" inflections
              " Lab" exercises
              accepting my F-up'z..
              rewarding (to my students) my F-up's..
              "calling out" my students on B.S.

The end..A understanding, but potential volatile "parent"...Me.

But'z I never slapped them 'round. ('sept one on one)

And above all, I never, ever bluffed.....I always accepted my students as themselves...A "mind at large"...Respect...A two way street, just like capitalism...

I'll be Damned..

I cud' go on and on...

I found personal 'sperience ta' be the best..My personal stories..

I had professors and students reserve and "lay a patch" to attend my courses 6 months and longer prior..

I was da' bane of PC education..I was thrown out on ma' ears many times, from colleges and universities..

In the end, I knew I introduced tha' laws, Da' laws O' nature, Gods laws..

Then Da' Trig and I flew away.......................

Carry on....

Tha' Professor of stuffy..

Originally posted by mookster
              Sully, usually I hafta glance over your posts cuz my brain would have issues with the imagery you portray, however with that one I get it. I agree one hundred percent with ya.
              Originally posted by CityCopDC
              I swear to god you are not human. I know a rogue VI when I see one.
              Originally posted by OfficerDotCom
              I think no one is probably happier than Sully and I that we ARE NOT the same person.(seriously thanking God for that one).
              -Frank

Old Physicists neva' die, they just hop on a horsey and fly away inta' an infinitely massive black ho ...

Comment

Originally posted by eagleI View Post
                A man who carries a carries a cat home by the tail learns more in 30 seconds than one who spent years reading books on the subject. He's never likely to be dim or dull on the matter.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by Item9 View Post

I don't blame these dopes for wanting to be cops like they see on T.V., I just wonder what sort of schools and professors are encouraging (or not discouraging) them to act this way. I never took criminal justice, so I don't know what goes on in there.
                  Do you read any of the AAC submissions?

They come on HERE and argue with us about the process. They don't listen to what is told them because they know everything and "everything can be forgiven" because they want it bad enough.

If they want it bad enough they DESERVE IT. and no one can stop them.
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I used to read and answer the Ask a Cop, but I got sick of "do I qualify" questions. Now I just sort of browse and laugh at people's hurt butts after they get the answers they didn't want to hear.

Comment

I stopped a kid for speed the other day. He asked me to show him my Miranda warning card. I asked him why and he said that his criminal justice teacher told him to ask random cops if they would show him.

I informed him of this wonderful invention called google.

Comment

When I told him getting arrested for drugs probably won't help his chances, he explained that he doesn't actually want to be like me, he just wants to be a homicide detective...
                        That's how we'd wind down after a hard, hot, summer night of handling murders....That, or drink in the parking lot until 5 am.

Comment

Originally posted by Item9 View Post
                          Between warm weather and school winding down during finals, I feel like I've met way more goofy criminal justice students recently. In the past week a few have stuck out.

#1 was while I was handcuffing a kid with a bunch of weed a paraphernalia in his car. "Is this going to hurt my chances of being like you? I'm in criminal justice." When I told him getting arrested for drugs probably won't help his chances, he explained that he doesn't actually want to be like me, he just wants to be a homicide detective...

#2 was driving with a revoked license and about 100lbs overweight. He wanted to know how much my department paid, and if he applied when he could start. I reminded him that I drive a car for a living, and have to fit in the car. He told me he'd just work for a crooked department that would sneak him on, because he has a lot to offer...because he took criminal justice classes.

#3 during a stop in a gas station lot with two young productive members of society practicing the splits and hanging onto the car trunk a kid started to walk between me and scab #1 to ask how he could "get on." After a brief reminder to stay out of the way and the stop was finished, we had a talk about common sense. He told me his professor told him to ask cops he met how to apply, and if I had an application in my car.

#4 had some failure to appear warrants.....

This comes to mind…..

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                            They come on HERE and argue with us about the process. They don't listen to what is told them because they know everything and "everything can be forgiven" because they want it bad enough.

If they want it bad enough they DESERVE IT. and no one can stop them.
                            I will liken them unto AmWay cultists. They create their own reality and live in a self-contained pseudo environment.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Originally posted by ChiTownDet View Post
                              That, or drink in the parking lot until 5 am.
                              I remember the days of Choir Practice quite well......................................
                              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5598 users online. 323 members and 5275 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X