300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Opinions or advice.....

I am currently taking a break from law enforcement. I have been in law enforcement for 5 years until last September. One department for 4 years and another for 1 year.
    Recently I have been preparing to apply at agencies west of the Mississippi River. A few weeks ago, I returned to my home state and ran into a lot of people I used to work with at my original department. It hit me pretty hard and it has been on my mind ever since. I feel like I'm missing something by not being there working with them. My friends in law enforcement have become my family and I hate not being with them on the street. At this point I am still going to apply at other places, but am seriously considering returning home to my original agency. Has anyone had experiences like this? How did you deal with it?
    I'm not looking for sympathy. I know the overall decision is something only I can make. I'm just looking for a little guidance from someone who may have been in my shoes.

It's easier to get a job if you have a job.

Even if you eventually want to move out West, there's no harm in getting back into your old agency for a while. It may take you years to get hired by a completely new agency... if ever.

If getting back on with the old one is fairly quick, go for it.
    "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

You left for a reason

Comment

Only you know why you left and why you need to "take a break." Expect other agencies to view you with a critical eye.

Comment

I left an agency in 1983 after working there 5 yrs.......................I still to this day keep in contact with some of the people (several are still there ----like the guy who is Sheriff now) I even occasionally stop by for coffee when in town

I would have NEVER thought of going back THERE
          Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Yes, you left for a reason, but doesn't mean you can never go back. Good luck in whatever you decide!

And...holy crap, 1983? That's when I was born!!!
            The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
            that we are all that stands between
            the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Disregard .....
              I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Thank you to all who replied. I'm not sure what GoldBadge meant by "disregard"..... The agency I left was a great agency. I was involved in a UoF incident that left me very shaken afterwards. I saw another agency that was hiring and thought getting away for a while would help things out. It only made things worse because I left everything and everyone I knew behind. I want to get back to the career as soon as possible. My time away has confirmed that this what I am meant to do. The direction and path to take back to it is the hardest to decide.

Comment

Originally posted by Eleven Bravo View Post
                  I'm not sure what GoldBadge meant by "disregard"..... .
                  That usually means the person started to reply-------------then decided not to continue. Since the post was already formatted the box remains............and the poster "Disregards" his/her post

The bottom line really is..................................What do YOU want to do?

Follow your insides and do what you need to do.

I left one job to take the one that I had for 5 yrs............when I left there, I went back to the original job and retired from it.

As a supervisor...............
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
                    Disregard .....
                    No...go ahead and post your age....
                    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                      That usually means the person started to reply-------------then decided not to continue. Since the post was already formatted the box remains............and the poster "Disregards" his/her post
                      Yep. A senior moment.

Comment

Originally posted by So Fla Cop View Post
                        No...go ahead and post your age....
                        I was gonna say that I was also born in 1983.

Find someone to walk your dog yet? Hard for you to do it yourself with a walker?

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
                          I was gonna say that I was also born in 1983.

Find someone to walk your dog yet? Hard for you to do it yourself with a walker?

Maybe your first hemorrhoid was born in 1983.

No, actually I put roller skate wheels on the legs of the walker and attached an old office chair (with wheels, of course) to the inside of the walker......I just yell "Mush" and the dog takes off. We cover a lot of territory. Gotta love those ghetto inventions. Thanks for asking.
                          Last edited by So Fla Cop; 05-01-2014, 09:46 PM.
                          September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Comment

Originally posted by So Fla Cop View Post
                            Maybe your first hemorrhoid was born in 1983.

No, actually I put roller skate wheels on the legs of the walker and attached an old office chair (with wheels, of course) to the inside of the walker......I just yell "Mush" and the dog takes off. We cover a lot of territory. Gotta love those ghetto inventions. Thanks for asking.
                            A friend of mine received for his 50th birthday (he is a Chief of Police) from his officers-------
                            A wheelchair outfitted with lights and siren.

Comment

Originally posted by Eleven Bravo View Post
                              The agency I left was a great agency. I was involved in a UoF incident that left me very shaken afterwards.
                              How shaken? Remember at the beginning of "Top Gun" where the pilot turns in his wings? If you are working patrol it is hard to do what you have to do to get to retirement. My first police academy class graduated 35 in 1981. Only 3 made retirement as cops and two or three took voluntary demotions to non sworn positions. My next department we graduated 85 and maybe 20 was still in law enforcement 20 years later.

So I am saying law enforcement is not as easy as doing 20 years in the Army for example. Also when I was an FTO I fired people who turned out to really good in other jobs.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5056 users online. 307 members and 4749 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X