300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pitbull defense ?

OK, so my wife presented this question to me and I really didn't have an answer. She does not carry by the way.

What do you folks recommend for your spouse, if attacked (say while at the park, jogging, etc) by a pitbull ? What action drill/response ?

Also, I am thinking of purchasing a knife, such as this one, http://www.gerbergear.com/Essentials...Knife_22-41525 , for my wife to carry while outside.

Not being paranoid but the wifey brought it up.

Thanks
    Last edited by satpak77; 04-28-2014, 09:08 PM.

Injection of lead to the head would usually do the trick!
    Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

Why specifically a pit bull? I've never been charged or bitten by one, but have been charged/bitten by many other breeds of dogs.

Most of the pit bulls I meet are very friendly and mild mannered. It's dogs that are owned by dirtbags and are not trained that are a problem.

Comment

OC spray has always worked great. Every dog I have put it near never came back for seconds. But I don't disagree with Rush's idea just remember some dogs have hard heads so repeat as needed.
        Where'd you learn that, Cheech? Drug school?

Comment

OK roger that, I will look at OC Spray for her

Comment

.45 ACP works wonders

Comment

.12ga or land mines.
              The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
              that we are all that stands between
              the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

OC does not always work. Dogs don't have the same anatomy as we do, fur, no sweat glands, etc.

You know what dogs do have? Really good hearing.

http://www.walmart.com/ip/Attwood-1....rhorn/16351012

Requires no aiming, causes no safety issues or legal/ethical concerns about deadly force, and dogs REMEMBER YOU once you blast them once or twice with it. The next time you run by their area, they'll come out barking, realize who you are, and retreat without you even having to blast them again.
                I miss you, Dave.
                http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by satpak77 View Post
                  OK roger that, I will look at OC Spray for her
                  I would recommend looking into BEAR SPRAY rather than OC.

PERSONALLY I have never had problems with using OC on a dog............but others have. Of course I have had problems using OC on PEOPLE .................

Never been bit by a Pit Bull

Labardor YES
                  Bichon Friese YES
                  Pit Bull NO

That SHOULD work too
                  Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Full charge of 00 Buck to the chest usually slows them down a bit....
                    The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra259 View Post
                      Why specifically a pit bull? I've never been charged or bitten by one, but have been charged/bitten by many other breeds of dogs.

Most of the pit bulls I meet are very friendly and mild mannered. It's dogs that are owned by dirtbags and are not trained that are a problem.
                      Seriously youre asking this question? Because Pitt Bulls are EVIL creature just waiting to kill!!!!!!

Comment

I've never known anyone to use OC that was within date, and it not work. I've seen people that *thought* they had OC, and it not work. Turns out it would be either Mace or a hybrid with a 70/30 CS/OC mix. Not saying it wouldn't happen - but I personally used freeze +P on a charging dobby and it stopped in its tracks. Dobermans (imho) are 100 times more kill-focused that a pit. So it forever has my vote, even though it's a 50/50 mix of CS/OC.

Comment

First, don't assume that pits are the only danger. Any breed of dog can attack.

Second, the spouse of any LEO should be armed. Four legged critters aren't the only danger.
                          "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

Yea, most Poodles and Pomeranian's are pulling at the leash to attack. Use your head. Look at statistics. Pit Bulls are a problem.
                            Retired 02/01/13

Comment

Ahhhh... the old pit bull debate. I guess we were about due for another pit bull thread.

Therefore, I will ignore the pit bull aspect. Dog attacks are not that common. People are far more likely to attack you than a dog is. If your wife is open to the idea and concealed carry is an option in your state, I'd recommend a pistol. It works well against dogs and people. Otherwise, run and scream for help and fight like hell (same advice for both human and canine attackers).

For the record, the only dog I've been bitten by on patrol was some kind of very small breed. I gave it a boot to the ribs, but it still managed to tear a hole in my pants cuff. Replaced uniform pants the next week. End of report.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3909 users online. 210 members and 3699 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X