Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Uniform Re-design

Hello All!
    With Bratton being our new PC, we are in the midst of possibly changing things about our department, and uniforms might be one of them. No we aren't going to switch to green pants and white shirts (no offense to you Floridians!), but we will be tweaking what we wear and when we wear it. It can be as simple as changing when we are allowed to wear short sleeves, or as complex as changing coat styles, of going to a ball cap instead of an 8 point. I'm looking for ideas, and contacts in large city agencies to see how other places dress, and what regulations you use.

Do a quick search for NYPD uniforms, and then let me hear your feedback. And Be Kind.

Stay safe.

To quote someone I heard on the news recently " at this point what difference does it make?" Your department has so many different allowances for religious/ethnic beliefs in regards to appearance that I don't think things will change. Cops in turbins, dreadlocks, and beards? Oh my! As far as I'm concerned if you want to take a law enforcement job you conform to the job requirements or you don't get the job.
    I like having a beard, couldn't due to the rules and the gas mask wouldn't seal with facial hair. My choice, work without a beard. Does it really matter if it's an eight point or a ball cap on top of a turbin or dreads?
    I guess I went off on a tangent there, we all went to short sleeves in the middle of May as directed by Albany and the same in fall to long sleeves in October. Everyone was the same in regards to uniform and hygiene, and I think that's a good thing. Look professional when doing your job. The day I see a trooper in a turbin, my retirement shield goes in the sewer

Comment

I'm in a pretty big police force (12000) that changed colour and style of uniforms. One of the reasons was so we look more professional. Once upon a time we had a strictly defined summer and winter uniform. The appropriate head dress had to be worn the second you were outside the car or office. Members in the same patrol unit had to wear the same uniform. If one had his jacket on, the other one had to as well.

Now everyone just wears whatever they want. Ironing shirts seems to be unfashionable, boots are worn from the box until they are replaced in a few years without ever seeing a tin of polish. Changing the colour and style of the uniform didn't make much of a difference. I think we still look a bit lackluster. The standard uniform now is a wicking shirt underneath an equipment vest with fluorescent cover.

Comment

A pipe dream.

Get rid of the 8 point cap. Use it for ceremonies only.

Redesign the cargos, which are outdated ems pants, to 5.11 tax pants.

The list is endless.
        Captain Square Badge, reporting for duty!.

Comment

I think uniforms are the least of the worries of the NYPD.
          (\__/)
          (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
          (")_(")
          Copy and paste Bunny into your
          signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

External armor carriers, the ones with pouches to get all that stuff off the duty belt.
            Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Originally posted by NYCTNT View Post
              A pipe dream.

Get rid of the 8 point cap. Use it for ceremonies only.

Redesign the cargos, which are outdated ems pants, to 5.11 tax pants.

The list is endless.
              I've seen lots of UMOS wearing the formalish 8 point cap and the sloppyish cargos (over stuffed in the pockets) and it just looks weird.

I don't think NYPD will ever do away with the 8 point. It's been used forever. Maybe the 5.11 pants will give off a neater look than what they are wearing now.

Tradition in the NYPD is a double edge sword; great for history, bad for change.
              I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

Back in 2009 my agency switched from Stetson hats to 8 points, and I like them better. I only wear it for special events, though.

We have long sleeve shirt and tie (or mock turtleneck) for winter, short sleeves for summer, cargo shorts and polos for 4th of July, and bike uniforms for bicycle officers. We also have BDUs for inclement weather and training.
                The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                that we are all that stands between
                the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by GoldBadge View Post
                  I've seen lots of UMOS wearing the formalish 8 point cap and the sloppyish cargos (over stuffed in the pockets) and it just looks weird.

I don't think NYPD will ever do away with the 8 point. It's been used forever. Maybe the 5.11 pants will give off a neater look than what they are wearing now.

Tradition in the NYPD is a double edge sword; great for history, bad for change.
                  Exactly.

The nypd never changes. They add more roadblocks for MOS but never adapts to modern times. Especially under Kelly's legacy. I hope Bratton changes things.

Comment

Bratton is changing things, and that's why I'm asking. I agree that the 8 point should only be for dress uniform, same with the tie. I used to love cargos while I was on patrol, and now I can't stand them, they look so sloppy. I think cargo pants should be reserved for ESU, and for inclement weather. We are also looking at changing the jacket, possibly getting rid of the 3/4 length and going to a standard ike length.
                    We will never go to an external tac-style vest carrier, too liberal of a city. But what could be done is the uniform shirt style carrier (Blauer, elbeco) that just goes over a regular shirt. I hear they are a lot more comfortable.
                    Thank you everyone for your responses, feel free to keep them coming!

Comment

Cargos look sloppy because it's a sloppy design made by dozens of "approved" manufacturers.

Keep it ONE BRAND. 5.11 brand cargos are awesome.

I tend to wear them daily at work and they are not only extremely durable and for the most part stain resistant, they fit very well. One brand, one style, simple.

I have been hawking at this for years with outdated medic pants(current cargos).

Comment

My agency allows Blauer cargo pants. If you have them dry cleaned and properly creased, and wear the correct size, they look fine. And there are plenty of tubs wearing Class A who look like soup sandwiches.
                        Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

Current cargos are on the chopping block...looking at replacing with hidden cargos like the flying cross style, and quite possibly the 5.11 style.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3428 users online. 212 members and 3216 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                          Working...
                          X