Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Texas DPS suspends use of S&W M&P handgun for now...

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Texas DPS suspends use of S&W M&P handgun for now...

http://www.themonitor.com/news/local...7a43b2370.html

The Texas Department of Public Safety confirmed Wednesday that it has stopped using its newest service firearm after “concerns” were reported by state trooper recruits who were the first to use the new Smith & Wesson M&P 9 mm handgun.

“The Department is currently doing additional testing and evaluation on the Smith & Wesson M&P handgun,” DPS spokesman Tom Vinger told The Texas Tribune in an emailed statement. “The DPS suspended plans to train with and issue the handgun to the current trooper trainee class, after minor concerns were raised when firearms training began during trooper training.”

A spokeswoman for Smith & Wesson had no immediate comment on the gun’s performance at the DPS training academy in Austin.

DPS announced last year that it was switching to the lighter 9 mm handgun with this year’s 114-member recruit class, which started training on Jan. 16. The 9 mm handgun replaced the .357-caliber SIG Sauer P226 pistol at the agency’s training facility in Austin.

Vinger said no money was paid for the guns. Instead, the agency traded 120 SIG Sauers for 120 of Smith & Wesson’s newer guns. They will use, for now, the SIG Sauer P226 pistol. The agency says that it will not cost any additional money to outfit the recruits with the older gun.

The agency decided to halt the use of the new handguns after a couple of the weapons experienced slight movement of less than 10 microns after repeated firing of about 3,000 rounds, Vinger said. A micron is one-millionth of a meter. Movement in a gun could affect accuracy. There were also bullet “feeding and ejection” issues. None of the performance issues resulted in any injuries. And so far, DPS has not been able to replicate these issues in subsequent testing, Vinger said.

These “concerns” were first reported as “malfunctions” last Friday by the gun news site TheTruthAboutGuns.com.

“We have been experiencing malfunctions during Recruit School firearms training, which is unacceptable and I have suspended the transition to the Smith and Wesson M&P 9mm,” an unidentified DPS source told the website.

The older SIG requires a harder pull on the trigger when fired for the first time, compared to the amount of pressure needed to fire the newer Smith & Wesson, Nick Leghorn, the website’s testing and reviews editor, told the Tribune. Leghorn said there could be many reasons why recruits could have issues with the newer gun. It could be an ammunition problem or merely unfamiliarity with the new weapon.

“It could be a training issue,” Leghorn said, adding that both guns are popular among several law enforcement agencies around the country.

We had ours for around 5 years now. Love them! No idea what movement they are talking about, but we have not had any feeding or ejection issues. Not sure why a new recruit would be affected by the trigger pull compared to the old guns since they never shot the old guns. Not familiar with the weapon???, its a semi automatic pistol pull the trigger it goes boom.

Comment

Originally posted by Yankee_1 View Post
      We had ours for around 5 years now. Love them! No idea what movement they are talking about, but we have not had any feeding or ejection issues. Not sure why a new recruit would be affected by the trigger pull compared to the old guns since they never shot the old guns. Not familiar with the weapon???, its a semi automatic pistol pull the trigger it goes boom.
      As much as I dislike the M&P I'm thinking that "politics" had more to do with the switch than anything else.
      Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
        As much as I dislike the M&P I'm thinking that "politics" had more to do with the switch than anything else.
        I agree with you!
        Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

Maybe it didn't have the desired ability to shoot out tires of fleeing vehicles. :P
          I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

I have carried the full size 40 for about 6 years now and the compact for over 3 and never had any issues. LUV both of them. If the Texans need instruction I am available to help train.

You can always tell a Texan, you just can't tell them much.

Sorry Rudy
            Stupid has no color or race, everyone can participate.

Comment

It's cool. Technically, Colorado does still belong to Texas. If we ever chose, you would become a part of Texas again. It would happen so fast it would make Putin's head spin.

I yell "PIKACHU" before I tase someone.

Comment

Only thing tho we would want to keep once we retook it would be the deer.

Most of the DPS i know dont want to stop using the 357 Sigs anyway,Im thinking its politics alright,but had nothing to do with recruits not wanting them.

Comment

...after a couple of the weapons experienced slight movement of less than 10 microns after repeated firing of about 3,000 rounds,
                  Slight movement of what?
                  I miss you, Dave.
                  http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
                    No kidding. I had several classmates in the Academy that used the M&P. They didn't have misfeed or "movement" issues. Are they referring to the weapon being broken in maybe, lol

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                      Slight movement of what?
                      My thought exactly. What moved and if it was movement that small, how did they even notice? Reeks...
                      "Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
                      Watch your words, for they become actions.
                      Watch your actions, for they become habits.
                      Watch your habits, for they become character.
                      Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Comment

After all of the posts I've read about this issue here and in other forums, I'm wondering if it really isn't just the old guard not wanting to go to a round which was commonly thought of as inferior to larger and more powerful calibers in the not too distant past. All of the Troopers I run into tell me they don't want to give up their Sigs, especially giving up the .357 Sig round. Some told me they were told they get to continue carrying the Sig, but believe there will eventually be a mandated transition at some point.

Comment

Originally posted by ftttu View Post
                          After all of the posts I've read about this issue here and in other forums, I'm wondering if it really isn't just the old guard not wanting to go to a round which was commonly thought of as inferior to larger and more powerful calibers in the not too distant past. All of the Troopers I run into tell me they don't want to give up their Sigs, especially giving up the .357 Sig round. Some told me they were told they get to continue carrying the Sig, but believe there will eventually be a mandated transition at some point.
                          Probably. Sounds like BS when you don't say what moves...and HTF did the police measure 10 microns? That's 0.000393700787402 Inches. My calipers that I use for firearms and reloading sure don't go that precise.
                          I miss you, Dave.
                          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by CruiserClass View Post
                            Probably. Sounds like BS when you don't say what moves...and HTF did the police measure 10 microns? That's 0.000393700787402 Inches. My calipers that I use for firearms and reloading sure don't go that precise.
                            Especially since agencies like LASD have and LAPD are planning on gong to the M&P 9

The M&P 40 is in use in hundreds of agencies and have no problems
                            Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I have shot thousands of M&P .40 rounds without incident.
                              I’ll die with blue in my veins.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5846 users online. 323 members and 5523 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X