Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Crimestoppers Director eats tip

MIAMI -

The director of Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers was sentenced to 14 days in jail Friday on a contempt of court charge.

Richard Masten was sentenced after he refused to turn over all reports pertaining to an anonymous tip.

Masten appeared before Judge Victoria Brennan and said he was not willing to risk allowing a judge to determine whether any tip information should be disclosed.

"The issue is the court asking Crime Stoppers to go back on their promise," Masten told the judge.

Then Masten tore up the tip, stuffed the paper in his mouth and swallowed it.

"I think you're client's very passionate," Brennan told Masten's attorney. "But I think sometimes passion can cloud judgment."

Masten, a former police chief in Miami Shores, has been director of Miami-Dade Crime Stoppers since 2008.

"We promised the people that give us information to solve murders, serious violent crimes in this community, that they can call us with an assurance that they will remain anonymous," Masten told Local 10.

A judge stayed the sentence until next week, leaving Masten to digest his fate for a few more days.

"I was afraid that I was going to be taken into custody and (the paper) would be part of the property and there it goes, so I had a little lunch," Masten said, adding that it tasted "pretty dry."

http://www.local10.com/news/miamidad...court/24979232

Dick Masten is a very passionate guy. Some judges have no common sense. The whole system is upside down.

This is a perfect example of why you NEVER, EVER, reference Crimestoppers in any investigative paperwork.
    September 11, 2001 - All gave some, some gave all. Never forget -- Never forgive.......... RIP Brothers and Sisters.

Wow. Have to admit, at least he sticks to his beliefs.

Comment

14 days for infinite credibility.
      This.

Flip side: Prosecutor F'ed up by building a case where the anonymous tip was of any probative value.
      "I am a Soldier. I fight where I'm told and I win where I fight." -- GEN George S. Patton, Jr.

"With a brother on my left and a sister on my right, we face…. We face what no one should face. We face, so no one else would face. We are in the face of Death." -- Holli Peet

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4607 users online. 292 members and 4315 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
      Working...
      X