300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• .357 SIG Cartridge

I am a firearms trainer in a mid-sized department in the Midwest. We currently use Glock Models 22/23 in .40S&W. We are currently looking at Glocks chambered in .357Sig as replacements for our aging pistols. I would appreciate any information and insights that could be provided regarding this cartridge, specificaly regarding street performance, reliability, etc. Thanks.

I am a deputy in the southwest (~500 cops) our entire SWAT team (30 cops) are all issued the Glock in .357 sig. Also road deputies can carry one if they buy it on their own. Everyone that has one loves it. I will try to get one of my buddies who carries one to post you on this.

Comment

Check with Texas DPS. They have had a lot of documented shootings with the .357Sig. The only bad thing I have heard about them is they tear up weapons a lot faster than conventional cartridges due to the extreme pressure the round generates.
      If you stare into the abyss long enough,sometimes it stares back.

Comment

I've use the 357Sig for the last 4-5 years. Everyone on our department loves the round and is happy with it. We carry the Sig 226/229. IMO if you are looking to use that round in the Glock pistols, I would carry the G31. I have a G32 for off-duty and the muzzle flip is a little more than in the Sig pistols because of the weight difference in the guns.

We did ballistic testing in gelatin and were quite happy with the results the Gold Dot round demonstrated. The Remington Golden Sabre Bonded round can a close second.

Comment

You're pretty much getting new Glocks and not much else. The difference between the .357Sig and .40 S&W when using Gold Dots or Golden Sabers is a wash. Shot placement, the best ammo and they will both do the job.
          Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

A decent round, but it's a bit pricey compared to other calibers.
            All Units Code Zero on one, Code Zero on one...all non-emergency traffic go to TAC-2

Comment

Isn't it just about like a 9mm +p+? I mean, look at the bullet weights and velocities...
              Live your Tactics, Hope is NOT a method!

Comment

Excellent observation Fed, the only difference is you do not get the 9mm's proven record of functional reliability. The .357Sig has not been around long enough to have earned the same reputation for smooth functioning. The Winchester 9mm 127gr. Ranger +P+ will do anything the best .357Sig rounds will do and for that matter anything that the best .40 S&W rounds will do.
                Trooperden, akman75, & azmichelle ignored

Comment

My duty weapon is a Sig P226 in .357 Sig. Reliability is no sweat and because of the neck design it feeds as well or better than anything on the market. Get this, I was at the DPS range two weeks ago for a Qual session and struck up a conversation with the range master about a unusual casing I found while policing up brass. He smiled and said the day before a group of troopers were in a Qual and one had a malfunction after about ten rounds. The rangemaster looked down and saw the trooper was firing 9mm rounds in his .357 Sig and they were fire-forming to the larger chamber! I asked about the accuracy and he said all rounds were center mass at the 7yd. line. The trooper blamed his SGT. of course for handing him a box of 9mm instead of .357 Sig but this should say something about the P226.
                  Trust me I'm with the government.

Comment

i used to carry a sig 229 .40 as a duty gun and loved the .40 round (well i was kind of fond of the sig too), when i switched departments i started carrying a H&K USP .45 compact as a duty, and bought a g-32 in .357 sig as a backup. i really like the .357 sig round thus far though it does have a bit more oomph than the .40

i have had no problems with reliability, as a matter of fact VA state police switched to the .357 sig a few years ago and have had no problems. the only thing that i have encountered is reloads are trickier, and occasionally the slugs on the gold dots will retract a bit so i check my mags often.

-web
                    "there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

Comment

I've carried both the Sig P226 and Glock 31 in .357 Sig for the past four years.

I have yet to have a feeding problem or reliability problem with either weapon.

Personally, I like the round well enough that I purchased a Glock 31, even though I'm issued one.

My only complaint is the cost of ammo. Practice ammo runs anywhere from $10 to $15 per box of 50, and duty ammo is $25 or so per box of 50 around here.

As was stated above by JDixon, Tx DPS should have quite a bit of info, if you contact them. I know that almost all the DPS involved shootings in this area have resulted in fatalities for the suspects.
                      Optimistic pessimist: Hope for the best, but expect the worst.

Jack

[email protected]

Comment

I don't know much about the different grain of bullets and what not but my friend does and he told me the bullet might be fast enough to go through a vest. Anyone know?

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4785 users online. 260 members and 4525 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X