Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ford Utility Interceptor real-world MPGs?

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ford Utility Interceptor real-world MPGs?

Greetings,

Like any department, mine is always looking to improve efficiency. Right now we use 4x4 Tahoe special service as well as other squads, but I am curious about the new(ish) Ford Utility Interceptor. Ive read the articles and EPA estimates, but can anyone give me a decent real-world report on MPGs?

On a related note, it does not appear that Ford offers a tow/hitch package for the Utility Interceptor. Does anyone know if this is true or has your department added a hitch?

Thanks,
    J

We took delivery of 2 Ford Explorers this year. I will answer the easy question first, NO on the tow package. Putting a hitch on the Explorer eliminates it as an Interceptor. Second the gas mileage is reasonable (I really haven't tracked the true MPG) the issue we have been running into is the size of the tank. We are an agency that covers a very rural area with the gas station open after 10pm and as it stands now we have to be at the pumps at 9:45 to make sure we have what we need for the night. Performance as a whole is excellent.

Comment

We run 4 of them at the moment....................I haven't heard of mileage concerns so they must not be any worse than our CVPI's or Chargers.
      My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

We run about 50/50 Tahoe 4x4 SSV and Interceptor Utilities. I have to say the consensus within our agency is the the only thing the Interceptor has over the Tahoe SSV, is top end speed.

MPG the Tahoe kicks the Interceptor's butt. 12 hour shifts our guys are filling up 2-3 times on a busy night with the Interceptor. They consistently average about 13-14 MPG. Verses the Tahoe at about 15-16 (or better) MPG.

The Interceptors are much smaller inside and our bigger deputies HATE driving them. Thankfully I still have a Tahoe (for now) and I'll keep my low end speed to ensure I have the room and power of the Tahoe.

The reality is the 6 banger Interceptor has to work much harder then the V8 Tahoe to do the same thing. Add in all the equipment and the Interceptor's V6 engine struggles to keep up with the Tahoes. Even just cruising around the Interceptors suck down the gas. I don't care what the EPA estimates are, the Tahoe gets better MPG any day.

One last note, AWD is NOT 4x4. There is a difference. We are finding out this winter that the two are night and day different in their handling in snow.

My opinion, stay with the SSV. Put a chip in them to remove the governor and buy some nice speed rated tires.
        cjs-luke
        Forum Member
        Last edited by cjs-luke; 01-27-2014, 07:27 PM.
        Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

Comment

Originally posted by cjs-luke View Post
          One last note, AWD is NOT 4x4. There is a difference. We are finding out this winter that the two are night and day different in their handling in snow.

My opinion, stay with the SSV. Put a chip in them to remove the governor and buy some nice speed rated tires.
          Chevy is also coming out with a 4WD version of the pursuit rated Tahoe in the 2nd half of 2014. A bit late to the party, but glad to see them!
          The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

California Highway Patrol just switched over to them, I contact someone with them and see if you cant get a copy of their test report. IMO it must be good if they are going to them. As far as a hitch don't have a clue.
            I'd rather be judged by 12 rather carried by 6.

It should be noted that any and all post that are made are based on my own thought and opinions. And are not related or implied to represent the department I work for.

Comment

They were purchased by the CHP because they were the only ones that fit the weight requirements for all of the equipment we carry in our trunk. Not anything related to performance. I drove one for the last 4 months before I transferred to a new area and I liked them better than the crown vics in most areas, the fuel capacity was annoying. We generally averaged the same mpg as in the crown Vic's, however the fuel tank is much smaller in the explorers causing us to fuel up more.

The all wheel drive was nice in the desert. We took one out to glamis and drove around in the sand with no problems stopping starting etc. problems you would have with the CVs.

Comment

I've only driven one on a shift a few times but seem to recall averaging 12-13MPG, per the trip computer.

Comment

I currently have a 2013 Durango AWD for patrol but we are switching to the new Explorer Interceptors when these run down. I too, am curious as to how the MPG, but more importantly, the comfort for us taller people is. We have some mid 2000's Explorers and they are horrible for driving comfort, compared to the Durango.

Comment

…bump… any one else have 2 cents to share?

Comment

We are in the process of switching over to the Utility's, here is my experience so far:

Gas Mileage:
                      My city is about 38 square miles. I typically clock between 60-100 miles in a shift and I fill up the tank at the end of my shift. With the Crown Vic, I would regularly put in between 9-11 gallons of fuel. With the Interceptor Utility, I have put in (on average) between 5 and 6 gallons consistently.

Comfort:
                      All of our squads have cages. I am 6'03" and about 230# with my gear on. In the CV, my back gets stiff and I have to get out and walk around a few times / shift. In the Utility, I am able to stretch out a little better, except that there is a foot rest on the left side of the pedals, which makes it tough to stretch my legs out. The cage in the CV was a tight fit for prisoners, and we would call for a transport wagon if we had an obese or a prisoner with a medical problem, but we have always made due. In the Utility, there is a TON of room for prisoners no matter what shape or size.... Don't even get me started about the crappy little taurus'

All-in-all, I really like the utility. So much so that I'd consider buying an explorer when the wife's car dies...
                      AI_guy
                      Forum Member
                      Last edited by AI_guy; 02-13-2014, 11:47 AM.

Comment

Problem Chicago is having with them, is that we are almost all 2 man units. During the crap winter we've had, water pools up on the floor on the passenger side, leaks down and shorts the vehicles computer, which is under the pass side floor. If the computer doesn't short and stall the vehicle, it does something that makes the heater/air cond fan motor not work. Not an isolated incident as one District had something like 10-15 of them down for this problem.

I've never drove one and up until retirement a couple months ago, used either a CV or Impala.

Comment

Anecdotally, CHP guys are reporting around 10 MPG freeway driving. A few are reporting 13 - 14.
                          Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

The squad I've been in has been recording 11.9-12.1 mpg

Only city driving.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4668 users online. 314 members and 4354 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                            Working...
                            X