300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ankle holster

Just started carrying backup weapon on ankle holster but it is irritating the hell outta my skin around my ankle. No problems when I'm wearing it but when I get home and take boot/sock off, it's driving me nuts. Anyone have any remedies for this?

What holster are you using? Some models are attaching to the lace of your boots to avoid having to tighten too much the upper part, some other have a good padding that is minimizing hot spots.

Comment

It's a Galco gun holster. Decent holster bc like I said it doesn't hurt when I'm wearing it. Just seems like my skin is irritated from having it strapped to my ankle all shift. Just looking if anyone had similiar issues at first and then skins "toughen up" or if I'm just going to have to deal with the skin rash and itchyness.

Comment

It almost sounds like there's some rocking movement of the holster while the BUG is in it, resulting in skin abrasion.

I've worn my S&W 3913 in a Desantis Apache a few times, and while it wasn't an ideal setup (I was glad to take it off at the end of the day), I didn't notice any abrasion/irritation from it. I wore it just above my boot (Rocky 6167, 6"), and the bottom of the holster band probably came in contact with the top of the boot as I walked, but I don't think it wobbled much, if at all.
        The long thick socks I always wear might have helped.
        --
        Capital Punishment means never having to say "you again?"

Comment

I have a galco ankle holster and 8inch zippered 5.11 boots. My holster is VERY obvious when I wear it, and it won't even fit when I wear my 5.11 uniform pants.

Are there any other options for carrying a G27? I can't do vest carry, since I wear an external plate carrier.

Comment

Originally posted by Sierra259 View Post

Are there any other options for carrying a G27? I can't do vest carry, since I wear an external plate carrier.
            If you want to send me a PM, I can show you how I carry my G26 with on outer vest. It's not perfect, but it works.
            “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
            ― Edmund Burke

Comment

I carried a .380 in an ankle holster. It gets beat up and debris from running after people, muddy puddles, etc, etc. On duty a pocket carry is better IMHO. YMMV.

Best presentation from a ankle holster was a Compton PD off duty inside a bank when the robber went psycho.

Worst presentation was my partner and I carpooling off duty going home. Kidnapping/rape in progress. We made contact, my Browning 9mm already out and behind my hip, suspect bluffed that he was going for a gun in a shoulder holster. My partner started to hop around trying to draw a .38 from his ankle holster.

Moral of the story: Practice, practice, practice with your equipment.

Comment

Alessi is a relatively small holster maker in NY. I have carried a 3" 1911 in their ankle rig for, believe it or not, over 30 years. Other than some black dye touch up to the leather, it is in new condition. Most comfortable ankle holster ever made. A little pricy, but worth it. Even stays secure in a foot pursuit. Try Alessi.
                T.K.
                http://tonykoester.blogspot.com/

"Nothing can destroy a government more quickly than its failure to observe its own laws, or worse, its disregard of the charter of its own existence" (Mr. Justice Stewart, Elkins v. United States 364 U.S. 206 (1960)

sigpic

Comment

Big *** 4" piece of spandex material the wife sewed to fit snug. Put another spandex piece on that for the gun pocket. Stretch fit. Snug and tight. $1.00 worth of spandex.
                  The All New
                  BBQ and Goldfish Pond Club
                  Sully - IAM Rand - JasperST - L1 - The Tick - EmmaPeel - Columbus - LA Dep - SgtSlaughter - OneAdam12 - Retired96 - Iowa #1603
                  - M1Garand

(any BBQ and Goldfish Pond member may nominate another user for membership but just remember ..... this ain't no weenie roast!)

Comment

I'm just not a sissy and after 6 months the ankle rub stopped.

Comment

How are you wearing it, above the boot?
                      I miss you, Dave.
                      http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by LawyerCop View Post
                        I have carried a 3" 1911 in their ankle rig for, believe it or not, over 30 years.
                        Tony which 3" 1911 is it?

Comment

I wear it over my boot. It probably is just something my skin needs to get used to. I'm assuming it's just from the added friction and weight that's irritating it and was just looking for some help with the skin irritation aspect of wearing it. Think it's just something I need to get used to.

Comment

Try something like Body Glide.

Comment

It is a Detonics
                              Originally posted by Che View Post
                              Tony which 3" 1911 is it?
                              T.K.
                              http://tonykoester.blogspot.com/

"Nothing can destroy a government more quickly than its failure to observe its own laws, or worse, its disregard of the charter of its own existence" (Mr. Justice Stewart, Elkins v. United States 364 U.S. 206 (1960)

sigpic

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4463 users online. 261 members and 4202 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X