Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Man "protesting 2nd Amendment rights" creeps around Oregon school

http://www.katu.com/news/local/Polic...?tab=video&c=y

Screw that noise. Idiots like this do nothing but give vocal 2nd Amendment enthusiasts a bad name. I'm glad I live in a state where open carry is illegal (for the most part). If I'm dropping my kid off at school, and I see some dude carrying a shotgun walking towards us, you better believe I'm drawing down on him.

Police say they don't know who the man is because he's refused to give them his name. And police can't require him to provide his name or identification, because he hasn't broken any laws.
    C'mon man. You can't even get an ID on the guy?

163.190: Menacing. (1) A person commits the crime of menacing if by word or conduct the person intentionally attempts to place another person in fear of imminent serious physical injury.

Sir, we received multiple calls that you were walking up to the property line of an elementary school with a shotgun. I see you are in fact armed with a shotgun, and standing outside of an elementary school. I am now detaining you for investigatory purposes, now grab some wall.

Maybe you won't have enough to end up charging him, but damn, I'm at least knocking out an FIR.

Originally posted by elchorizo View Post
    Sir, we received multiple calls that you were walking up to the property line of an elementary school with a shotgun. I see you are in fact armed with a shotgun, and standing outside of an elementary school. I am now detaining you for investigatory purposes, now grab some wall.

Maybe you won't have enough to end up charging him, but damn, I'm at least knocking out an FIR.
    The sad part is, he would have brought it on himself. These guys live to have contact with law enforcement, think they are up on the law and then find themselves on the wrong end of it.

“Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

With as many unsolved crimes as there are on the books, I would think there is at least one unsolved felony where this guy’s physical description and weapon fit that of an outstanding suspect. This would at least warrant him being taken into custody for a day or so while detectives go do a photo lineup with the victim of the cold crime.

If he is the right guy, then a cold case is solved. OTOH if he is not the right guy then dust him off and send him on his way. Not our fault if he and his weapon fit the description of a wanted felon.
      Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

While I do not advocate open carry, I am usually on the side of hte guys who choose to do so where it is legal. But in this case, di the responding officers not hear of the Federal Gun Free School Zone act? Unless the guy is a LEO or had a CCW, then he was absolutely breaking the law if he was within 1000 feet of the school.

Comment

Originally posted by JustAJ View Post
          While I do not advocate open carry, I am usually on the side of hte guys who choose to do so where it is legal. But in this case, di the responding officers not hear of the Federal Gun Free School Zone act? Unless the guy is a LEO or had a CCW, then he was absolutely breaking the law if he was within 1000 feet of the school.
          Yep, from what 18 U.S.C. 921 & 922 state this should be a pretty simple solution for Hillsboro PD to take away from the school area and send a message to other dimwits. There is no stronger 2nd Amendment advocate than I but this in totally boneheaded and counter productive action.

Or maybe the guy is a county trustee's nephew?!
          Harry S. Truman, (1884-1972)
          “Never kick a fresh turd on a hot day.”

Capt. E.J. Land USMC,
          “Just remember – life is hard. But it’s one hell of a lot harder if you’re stupid.

George Washington, (1732-1799)
          "I hope I shall possess firmness and virtue enough to maintain what I consider the most enviable of all titles, the character of an honest man."

Originally posted by Country_Jim
          ... Thus far, I am rooting for the zombies.

Comment

So the officer's involved never heard of Hiibel v Humbolt County?
            GOD IS A NINJA WITH A SNIPER RIFLE, WAITING TO TAKE YOU OUT.

"For weapons training they told me to play DOOM"

Comment

Originally posted by GIOSTORMUSNRET View Post
              What does that have to do with this case? They apparently had no reasonable suspicion that he was committing, or about to commit a crime.
              For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Originally posted by jeffIL View Post
                They apparently had no reasonable suspicion that he was committing, or about to commit a crime.
                Something's hinky here, although I would never expect the media to provide all the facts (or even ANY of the facts), I find it difficult to believe that an active LEO is not aware of the GFSZ act.

The Gun-Free School Zones Act (GFSZA, codified at 18 U.S.C. § 922(q)) prohibits any individual from knowingly possessing a firearm at a place that the individual knows, or has reasonable cause to believe, is a "school zone" as defined by 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(25).

Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(25) the term "school zone" means—

(A) in, or on the grounds of, a public, parochial or private school; or

(B) within a distance of 1,000 feet from the grounds of a public, parochial or private school.

Pursuant to 18 U.S.C. § 921(a)(26) the term "school" means a school which provides elementary or secondary education, as determined under State law.
                I'm pretty sure that the guy was within 1000 feet.

Comment

Originally posted by JustAJ View Post
                  Something's hinky here, although I would never expect the media to provide all the facts (or even ANY of the facts), I find it difficult to believe that an active LEO is not aware of the GFSZ act.

I'm pretty sure that the guy was within 1000 feet.
                  Im a local guy and wouldn't consider it. I go on state laws for the most part.
                  For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Originally posted by GIOSTORMUSNRET View Post
                    Hibel is only applicable if the state has a statute requiring an individual to identify their self. If Oregon has no such statute, it doesn't apply.
                    Retired

Comment

If this happened in my town, I would detain him (I have enough to detain him for having a firearm near a school. I believe it's 1000 or 1500 feet of a school. I'd look it up) and grab the measuring wheel and measure the closest point I saw him to the school grounds.

from there I'd either charge him or let him go.

surely we don't have open carry, so he better be able to explain why he's open carrying. (fishing/gun range etc, but he'd have to prove it. or he can explain it to the judge)

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5922 users online. 424 members and 5498 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X