300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Superstitions

One of our unwritten rules is that if the radio is quiet we dont say "hey the radio has been real quiet." because the next thing you know the emergency tone is sounded and we are on a code-3. The new guys never believe it and then it happens it never fails. Any similar tales of the unknown.

The full moon brings out the aluminum foil brigade.

Comment

We have the same rule here. Just got reassigned to the jail recently, and had a rookie say "sure it quiet tonight". We about killed him! couldn't though because suddenly everything went awry.

Aluminum Foil Brigade, nice terms for loons! HATE full moons.
      "A pint of sweat will save a gallon of blood." Lt. Gen. George S. Patton

Comment

I agree with the good Captain. Anytime we say "Geez, it's always quiet these days..." All hell usually breaks loose.

An a similar subject, does anyone have superstiotions regarding religios medalions or similar objects? i.e.: I cannot leave the house for work w/o my St. Michael medal, and one St. Michael parayer card (God-Squad Trauma Plates) in each shirt pocket.

Stay safe,

T.J.

Comment

Around here its the Kiss of Death to say what a quiet night it is, last time a new guy said it we were on our way to a knife fight at our local bar two minutes later.. So that the lesson would sink in about saying bad things I made him do all of the paperwork.
          never forget: www.odmp.org

"In peace time our best still don battledress and lay their lives on the line"

Comment

I have a "lucky" pair of handcuffs i have to have in my pouch. I have had them since the academy and there isn't anything special about them. I have two more pair that are in the vehicle but this particular set has to be in my belt. Kind of crazy, I know, but they make me happy.
            admit nothing, deny everything, and demand proof!

Comment

I don't buy into any superstitions. For years as an EMT I heard about how so many more babies were born during full moons. Then I read about a study where somebody actually compared birth rates to phases of the moon. They found no increase in birth rates during full moons.

Do you really think there's a causal relationship between uttering something like "the radio sure is quiet" and what happens during a shift? Come on.
              Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

It's good to see that superstitions transcend distance....we here in Australia also believe that great evil will befall anyone who mutters those feared words...

Also, over here we call the foil brigade "Spoons"...

Comment

To me superstitions mean nothing! It doesn't matter what I say or what my partner says, it isn't going to change anything that we have no control over.
                  Retired

Comment

Gotta admit saying how quiet it is is the kiss of death.. Full moons? I'm a believer. Hot days bring out all the savages too. I also believe that the more you "gotta go" the more calls you get..
                    surly?? screw you....

Comment

I tell you what brothers and sisters, believe it or not its out there. Anyhow, sunday mornings are usually pertty quiet around our city but if you go 41 at 6am and the the first call you get is a rowdy domestic call believe me its going to be one of those days.

Comment

Someone please explain to me how uttering a phrase somehow causes the Cosmos to stand up and take notice and send more **** your way. Not anecdotal evidence -- hard facts.

You know what? I noticed that every time I take a crap before 9 AM, things flare up in the Middle East. Holy Cow! My bowels control whether people live or die! I must eat more fiber!!!

Caution and worry never accomplished anything.

Comment

Yup, we never used the "Q" word this side of the Pond either. I also find pulling onto the forecourt of a garage to pick up some scoff is a guaranteed way of ensuring that the proverbial hits the fan.
                          I won't be wronged, I won't be insulted, and I won't be laid a hand on. I don't do these things to other people, and I require the same from them.

Comment

How about when someone makes a stupid report and you know nothing is going to be done about it... but you know that if you don't write the report... it bites you in the ***

NEVER FAILS
                            Oh... Oh... I know you di-int!

Comment

That's why it is called "SUPERSTITIONS"
                              .....hum dee dum.

By the way yes there is a great relationship. Casual has nothing to do with it.

Daver

Originally posted by kirch
                              I don't buy into any superstitions. For years as an EMT I heard about how so many more babies were born during full moons. Then I read about a study where somebody actually compared birth rates to phases of the moon. They found no increase in birth rates during full moons.

Do you really think there's a causal relationship between uttering something like "the radio sure is quiet" and what happens during a shift? Come on.
                              We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence on those who would do us harm.
                              George Orwell (1903 - 1950)
                              ~Esse Quam Vidiri~

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4101 users online. 281 members and 3820 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 05:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X