300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Off Duty Officer Safety

I work and live in a very busy metropolitan area, and today while at work, I found out that I was the victim of a burglary. I got a call from my roommate and another officer that a burglary was committed at my house and that my roommates gun safe with 3 firearms and 10 watches were stolen. He also lost a brand new bulletproof vest. I later found out that my Nikon DSLR was stolen from my room.

I live in a pretty high end apartment in the safe part of town. I live on the third floor and always considered my apartment building to be crime free. I found out that it was very untrue today. We came home to the front door unlocked and our bedroom doors open. Coincidentally enough, the apartment building had hired window washers to clean the windows. Since my front door is always locked, I'm assuming they used their large ladders to come onto the balcony and enter through an unlocked rear sliding glass window. I always thought it was a far fetch to suspect that someone would come in through that way. I thought wrong. Hopefully some investigation will lead to some suspects and a conviction in the future.

My question to fellow officers is this...how do you prepare for an incident like this? do you feel safe at home? Without turning your home into a fortress (besides locking your doors), do you have additional safety measures? Any other recommendations?

I cut a deal with someone from ADT to install an alarm in my home on his own time. We did a swap of some items for the install. I live at the beach where there has been an ongoing trespassing issue with beachgoers, so the alarm system is complemented by a video security system from Costco that connects to the internet for instant access.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Not so much for me but for my wife- when we built our home I installed a keyed door knob/deadbolt on our bedroom door. Since I work nights this gives her a few extra seconds to access my off-duty firearms if needed. We live in a very nice area with a relatively low crime rate but it gives her some piece of mind. We have several keys hidden throughout the house and I always make sure she knows its me coming through the door!
      "We Train to Fight, We Fight to Win, We Win to Survive, We Survive to LIVE!"

The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Comment

My home IS a "fortress". I've got a gun safe that is reinforced AND secured in such a way that it WILL take a lot of time and effort to breach. Not only does the safe weigh a lot, it is also bolted down and reinforced. I have an alarm system as well as a surveillance system. If anyone who's not authorized to be on my property, I WILL know about it.

As for your place, you really should lock your patio door despite being on the 3rd floor. NEVER assume that your place is "inaccessible". Lock the door AND use a wooden dowel or some other type of secondary locking device.

All of your firearms and valuables (cameras, fishing equipment, etc.) that have serial numbers should be photographed, cataloged and accounted for, with copies of the records stored both on AND off property. If you own your home, you should have homeowner's insurance to cover losses. If you're renting, purchase adequate renter's insurance. Your landlord's policy most likely won't protect you.

Let me know if you need any more info.
        Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

If you don't lock your stuff up, then don't be surprised when someone takes you stuff.

Comment

Inside job. It was the roommate!
            For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

4 dogs...............the smallest one is 60 lbs.
              I really want to be home and watching when someone breaks in.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by HI629 View Post
                My home IS a "fortress". I've got a gun safe that is reinforced AND secured in such a way that it WILL take a lot of time and effort to breach. Not only does the safe weigh a lot, it is also bolted down and reinforced. I have an alarm system as well as a surveillance system. If anyone who's not authorized to be on my property, I WILL know about it.
                All of the above, plus trying to obtain a building permit for a crocodile stocked moat.

Comment

My front door and rear basement doors are coded, you must punch in the code to access my house. Inside, all of my firearms are secured on different floors in different areas (so my guns aren't in the same place), but I know where they are in the event I need quick access to them. I also have 3 dogs. They are not aggressive (not that any burglar would know), but they are as loud as all get-up! Plus, living where I work, my neighborhood is patrolled 24/7 by my fellow co-workers.
                  The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
                  that we are all that stands between
                  the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Renters insurance and a door devil for the front door. Other than that I record serial numbers and photograph all my important stuff as mentioned above. Apartments suck, if someone wants in they'll get in.
                    In Valor there is hope

Comment

When I lived in an apt, I made it clear to the management office that under no circumstances was anyone to enter the residence for maintenance issues or whatever. At all times they were to call if they needed to enter and I would then authorize whether it was ok or not. That way, I could track who was entering my residence or not, when I wasn't home. And alot of times the maintenance guys were terrified to do the knock and announce and enter unless they personally talked to me on the phone because I made it very very clear that if they entered my residence unannounced or startled me out my sleep, I couldn't guarantee their safety...

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4841 users online. 270 members and 4571 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                      Working...
                      X