300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ARIDE vs DRE

Just took my ARIDE course last week and still have a question. I know with ARIDE I can now say I have the "training and experience" to detect DUI Drug cases and successfully arrest them. My question then is, why have a DRE?

If I hook someone up for DUI Drugs and I think they are under the influence of cannabis, and they take a urine test and it tests positive for cannabis, why the need for DRE? Am I missing something here?

It all depends on you're policy for such things, as well as your district attorneys office willingness to prosecute cases based on your non-expert testimony, and a urine test. Remember marihuana usage can be detected through urinalysis days after the suspect smoked, in some cases weeks after. Its also impossible to determine impairment through urinalysis, which is why you need a DRE evaluation to determine impairment. ARIDE certification is an advanced course, but it does not qualify you as an "expert".

If your going to make an arrest for drug impaired driving, based on your initial observations and ARIDE investigation, I would suggest you take the suspect for a blood draw.
    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

also answered here

http://forums.officer.com/t187263/
      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Originally posted by wildlife97 View Post
        Just took my ARIDE course last week and still have a question. I know with ARIDE I can now say I have the "training and experience" to detect DUI Drug cases and successfully arrest them. My question then is, why have a DRE?

If I hook someone up for DUI Drugs and I think they are under the influence of cannabis, and they take a urine test and it tests positive for cannabis, why the need for DRE? Am I missing something here?

I meant to mention that ARIDE is only 2 days, while DRE PRe-school, Lecture, and Field work is around 120 hours

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
          It all depends on you're policy for such things, as well as your district attorneys office willingness to prosecute cases based on your non-expert testimony, and a urine test. Remember marihuana usage can be detected through urinalysis days after the suspect smoked, in some cases weeks after. Its also impossible to determine impairment through urinalysis, which is why you need a DRE evaluation to determine impairment. ARIDE certification is an advanced course, but it does not qualify you as an "expert".

If your going to make an arrest for drug impaired driving, based on your initial observations and ARIDE investigation, I would suggest you take the suspect for a blood draw.
          Got it. The reason I said urine is because the ARIDE Instructor/DRE said he usually gets urine since it's cheaper and quicker, according to him. But I know cannabis only stays in blood for a short time, so blood does sound better.

So another question. I am a federal officer and we have one DRE in the county who is a Sgt with the SO. The Sheriff allows him to work with all agencies in the county and even cross into neighboring counties. If he is unavailable (vacation, sick, etc) to assist in the investigation how likely is it the case will have a successful prosecution? Being a federal officer my cases will be prosecuted by the US Attorney's Office and they haven't really experienced these type of cases.

Comment

Got it. The reason I said urine is because the ARIDE Instructor/DRE said he usually gets urine since it's cheaper and quicker, according to him. But I know cannabis only stays in blood for a short time, so blood does sound better.

So another question. I am a federal officer and we have one DRE in the county who is a Sgt with the SO. The Sheriff allows him to work with all agencies in the county and even cross into neighboring counties. If he is unavailable (vacation, sick, etc) to assist in the investigation how likely is it the case will have a successful prosecution? Being a federal officer my cases will be prosecuted by the US Attorney's Office and they haven't really experienced these type of cases.
            THC metabolites, which is commonly what is tested for, can be found in blood for weeks or months. Our feds, such as Wildlife, will most often charge a DUI or other petty offense in state court. The local UAGs would pitch a fit if they had to prosecute a DUI

Comment

I wish there was another step between ARIDE and DRE. I'm ARIDE and loved the course, and would love even more to take DRE. One of the instructors offered me a spot in one of the next classes since I did so well in ARIDE, but few agencies around here will send you to a course that takes 6-9 months to complete. Without looking at the DRE curriculum, it would be hard for me to say that intermediary class would have in it, but a 1-2 week course would be a lot easier to sale to most admins.
              Originally posted by Ceridwen
              Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

My question then is, why have a DRE?
                The ARIDE curriculum is a bridge between SFST training and DRE training and is now a part of many Office of Traffic Safety (OTS) grants. It is a lesser level of expertise and training than a DRE.

Many agencies are required to train personnel to fulfill OTS grant objectives, and ARIDE training is often a quick and easy way to complete this portion of a department’s grant objectives.

I have been retired for many years now so the rules may have changed. DRE's used to be employed for more than traffic enforcement. Some counties DA's required a DRE evaluation before they would file on certain non-traffic under the influence drug charges. In addition, one of the counties I worked in required a DRE to perform a minimum number of evals within a certain period, otherwise their training and expertise was not considered fresh and was no longer recognized. I assume the same thing applies to ARIDE personnel.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by TJx2 View Post
                  Our feds, such as Wildlife, will most often charge a DUI or other petty offense in state court. The local UAGs would pitch a fit if they had to prosecute a DUI
                  Unfortunately the jurisdiction of the federal lands I work on are exclusive, meaning only federal officers and courts have authority. Anything from a parking ticket to murder must be prosecuted by the local US Attorney's Office, and quite honestly they have no problem prosecuting minor offenses, we had several DUI cases get adjudicated within the past month. The federal land management agencies (NPS, BLM, USFS) and tribe/BIA essentially set the caseload for this US Attorney's Office. Our US Marshals in this area even go after people with parking warrants.

If we weren't exclusive we could pursue state/county authority and use local courts, but we can't do that until state law is changed and we are no longer exclusive.

Comment

I didn't know what ARIDE was before I looked it up. Based upon what I read, L-1 is right. ARIDE is the bridge between SFST and DRE. I'm in the process of becoming certified as a DRE for LAPD. My experience has been that DRE encompasses not only DUI Drugs but also when you aren't driving. For LAPD, it's a 2 week classroom course then 6 months of certification. We have a course that you have to take in order to be eligible for DRE, which is IDAP or Impaired Driver Apprehension Program. Probably very similar to ARIDE.

Comment

Originally posted by dontknowwhy View Post
                      I wish there was another step between ARIDE and DRE. I'm ARIDE and loved the course, and would love even more to take DRE. One of the instructors offered me a spot in one of the next classes since I did so well in ARIDE, but few agencies around here will send you to a course that takes 6-9 months to complete. Without looking at the DRE curriculum, it would be hard for me to say that intermediary class would have in it, but a 1-2 week course would be a lot easier to sale to most admins.
                      I'm a DRE; what are you guys doing that takes 6-9 months? I had 2 weeks in class and 1 week of field cert.

Comment

It's not 9 months solid, but a week of pre-DRE school, 2-3 of class, then one field session a month for 6-7 months, and a 'check off ride' where a DRE rides with you until you do a certain number of evals. After that, you can sit for the test.
                        Originally posted by Ceridwen
                        Just one would be stingy of me, I'd have to get two. For the children.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 8715 users online. 273 members and 8442 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...
                        X