Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Union Retirement Gifts

Greetings:

I'm looking for ideas from other Agencies on what your Union gives a person that is retiring. I recently learned that our Union does nothing. The Agency allows for a dinner and shadow box but I believe the Union should be doing something as well. I'm not an event planner so I don't want another party but some gift based on number of years would be nice. So my question is if anyone's Union does something like this? I had thoughts of gift cards towards a cruise or buying their duty weapon but I'd like more ideas.

Thanks.
    Robert
    Deus Caritas Est

A nice pat on the rear and an "atta-boy" would be nice... ha ha ha... j/k
    The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed.

I Am the Sheepdog.

"And maybe just remind the few, if ill of us they speak,
    that we are all that stands between
    the monsters and the weak." - Michael Marks

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by rob80ert View Post
      Greetings:

I'm looking for ideas from other Agencies on what your Union gives a person that is retiring. I recently learned that our Union does nothing. The Agency allows for a dinner and shadow box but I believe the Union should be doing something as well. I'm not an event planner so I don't want another party but some gift based on number of years would be nice. So my question is if anyone's Union does something like this? I had thoughts of gift cards towards a cruise or buying their duty weapon but I'd like more ideas.

Thanks.
      Robert
      They keep mailing you the Union newsletter?......they MIGHT give you a certificate/scroll ect.....that's about it
      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

At my first agency they use to give a real nice gold ring with the Sheriff's Seal...replica of the badge...

They now make a monetary donation to the retiree.

The agency I retired from (state agency) does nothing.
        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Plaque. No more dues, but still belong.
          Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

I didn't get a darn thing when I retired. LASD gives a nice retirement scroll signed by the sheriff and your co workers but in my case no one at my unit ever made the request to have it made. A year after retirement I finally got it only because I complained to another Sgt still working... I was awarded a dept medal, no one ever bothered to call me to come get it at my old unit,,, they shipped it UPS, I got it 10 months after retirement..

Once you retire that brotherhood is gone....You walk out the back door into retirement and a FNG walks in the front door to replace you... A old time LT. told me once,,, " All you are to the County of Los Angeles is a 6 digit employee number"
            Last edited by Retired96; 05-25-2013, 11:56 PM.
            Retired LASD

Comment

With my agency, the Association (union) gives you a plaque and the department gives you your badge and cap piece.

The station Public Affairs Officer traditionally arranges a retirement dinner or lunch for you unless the station commander doesn't like you (I kid you not). In that case, it's up to you, your family or friends to arrange and advertise the event. I know several people who had to throw their own retirement dinner or simply went without one because the station commander didn't like them.
              Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Just as a follow up to the OP’s inquiry, when any of my guys retired I always tried to make sure there were a ton of resolutions from politicians available to be presented at their retirement dinner or lunch. They are easy to obtain because it is good PR for the elected official, gets their name out there and gains them a few votes. Often, they or a member of their staff will come to the event to personally present the resolution. All it takes to obtain them is a letter on department or union stationary and a couple of phone calls. Here is what’s usually available.

City PD
                If the officer worked for a city PD, a resolution from the City Council (or whatever body runs the city) recognizing his years of service to the community is appropriate.

County
                A resolution from the Board of Supervisors (or whatever body runs the county the officer/deputy works in) is appropriate.

State
                The state Senator and Assembly persons serving the district the officer lives in will usually provide a framed, gold leaf joint Senate/Assembly resolution recognizing his years of service to the people of the state.

Federal
                The US Senator and Congress person serving the district the officer lives in will usually provide letters recognizing his years of service to the people of their districts.

Presidential
                A letter from the President can be obtained recognizing the officer upon his retirement. The letter is generated by the office of presidential correspondence and signed by a signature machine but is nonetheless impressive. If you seek the letter yourself, you have to write several months in advance. However, if you ask you US Senator’s officer to obtain it for you, it only takes a few weeks advance notice.

As a side note, if a politician does not come to present the resolutions in person and you obtained the resolutions using department stationary, carefully select high ranking members of the brass to make presentations, leaving the presidential letter for the highest ranking member at the dinner. I used to do that and had the brass believing I had political connections all the way from in the White House, to the state house to the mayor.
                Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Greetings:

Thanks.
                  Robert
                  <--- Sh***y retired shield, the cheapest plaque a trophy company has in stock, and a wallet. NICE !! Oh yeah.... a calender book.

Comment

Royal Canadian Mounted Police (NOT unionized) Regular Member (LEO / PO) retirees (20+ years - SOME go as long as 40 to 45!) get:
                    - presented with our badge encased in acrylic;
                    - to wear our Review Order (see most Canadian post cards with us on horse back) or Walking Out Order (kind-of like military dress for grad / weddings) uniform for state and formal occasions (Remembrance Day / Canada Day parades, police / military formal dinners);
                    - 2 framed certificates of our length of service from our Division Commanding Officer and the Prime Minister;
                    - a laminated ID card.

USUALLY your Detachment / Unit will hold a farewell party, where the attendees' cost for supper pays for your meal plus a gift (framed picture, shadow box or plaque with mementos of your service / career / postings / failings).

I received all of the above, plus a pay-out of unused leave (accumulated annual from past years, balance of final year, plus severance) that was rolled-over into a tax-shelter retirement fund (severance leave has since been scrapped as a Federal Government cost-saving move).

I survive on a 70%-of-the-average-of-my-best-5-years-of-pay pension with cost-of-living indexing (which meant I have received 2 raises just to stay home) plus the boss and I both holding full-time jobs.

I also am growing my hair out long enough to tie back (and cover my grey!)

I truly appreciate all the well-wishes and sympathy that you all must be expressing on my behalf right now!
                    #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                    Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                    RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                    Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                    "Smile" - no!

Comment

I had to argue with the Warden about my retirement reception.

He told me I had to attend and I told him that since I was on terminal vacation during that time frame that I would not be attending.

He ordered me to attend the reception --- I am still waiting on the "sanction" for not attending

------I have been retired 2 1/2 yrs and haven't been sanctioned yet
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

Comment

Originally posted by Iowa #1603 View Post
                        I had to argue with the Warden about my retirement reception.

He told me I had to attend and I told him that since I was on terminal vacation during that time frame that I would not be attending.

He ordered me to attend the reception --- I am still waiting on the "sanction" for not attending

------I have been retired 2 1/2 yrs and haven't been sanctioned yet
                        I think you should have attended and made the bastitches buy you drinks all night!
                        #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                        Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                        RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                        Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                        "Smile" - no!

Comment

... shadow box ...
                          My previous Union provides one. I passed on it. I am still in my prime

Comment

Originally posted by Retired96 View Post
                            I didn't get a darn thing when I retired. LASD gives a nice retirement scroll signed by the sheriff and your co workers but in my case no one at my unit ever made the request to have it made. A year after retirement I finally got it only because I complained to another Sgt still working... I was awarded a dept medal, no one ever bothered to call me to come get it at my old unit,,, they shipped it UPS, I got it 10 months after retirement..

Once you retire that brotherhood is gone....You walk out the back door into retirement and a FNG walks in the front door to replace you... A old time LT. told me once,,, " All you are to the County of Los Angeles is a 6 digit employee number"
                            That is so true regardless of how big your department is.

Comment

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo View Post
                              I think you should have attended and made the bastitches buy you drinks all night!
                              Not a good idea

#1. The reception was to be held INSIDE the prison.........Only coffee allowed
                              #2 I had (and still don't ) no desire to hobnob with those idiots.

6 months ago I had to enter the prison for the first time since I retired.....(it is right across the street from my current employer) to pick up an inmate for court proceedings.

The assistant warden (we never got along when he was the security director---ie my direct boss) came up and tried to glad hand me..

I told him to back off -----I reminded him that I no longer worked for him and wasn't required to be nice to him or pretend that I liked him anymore.
                              Last edited by Iowa #1603; 05-30-2013, 07:28 AM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7594 users online. 441 members and 7153 guests.

Most users ever online was 26,947 at 07:36 PM on 12-29-2019.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X