• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • djs105
    Forum Member
    • Apr 2011

In custody: yes or no.

Bond: yes or no (if known).

That's it's! Every dept and state have different rules. Go by them and you will never go wrong.
    “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.”
    ― Edmund Burke

Comment

• Rush817
      Forum Member
      • Apr 2008

We post the names, charges and bond amount of all arrests on our PD website, so I'll provide that info but I won't go into the details of their arrest.
      Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

• sgt jon
        Tinfoil Hat Engineer
        • Jun 2009

Originally posted by LawFowl
        But what can happen if anything in this scenario:

You arrest a young adult and their parents inquire about what happened..

I rarely discuss details but we dealt with a concerned parent last night and we told her what her 19 year old was in jail for. Does anyone know of any legal ramifications for that? Could someone possibly have a civil suit? After all, probable cause affidavits are subject to public record.
        As already noted it depends. Your states laws and department policies will drive your actions.

Even in cases where I could disclose every salacious detail I rarely did. At most I would say is that the person in question was arrested and was being booked into jail. I would then provide the information desk number where they could call for details such as bond, court date and charges.
        Originally posted by SSD
        It has long been the tradition on this forum and as well as professionally not to second guess or Monday morning QB the officer's who were actually on-scene and had to make the decision. That being said, I don't think that your discussion will go very far on this board.
        Originally posted by Iowa #1603
        And now you are arguing about not arguing..................

Comment

• satpak77
          Forum Member
          • Dec 2003

But what can happen if anything in this scenario:

You arrest a young adult and their parents inquire about what happened..

I rarely discuss details but we dealt with a concerned parent last night and we told her what her 19 year old was in jail for. Does anyone know of any legal ramifications for that? Could someone possibly have a civil suit? After all, probable cause affidavits are subject to public record.

That's my stance %95 of the time. Depending of the attitudes of the parties involved, or if the parent has a genuine concern, I may tell them a little more than normal. In this case the other night BOTH parents were Houston PD officers and the stolen property we were about to recover was in their home. I was polite with them because a search warrant would have taken 2-3 hours.
          If I read/understand this correctly, the person arrested (an adult by the way), is the son of LE officers. In addition, you got consent to search/recover evidence and contraband in their house. I am sure they said "what for" when they answered the knock at the door.

In light of the situation and circumstances, I don't see any issues with you telling them the reason their son got arrested. It could be argued that the two parents, LE members, are not "Joe Public Civilian" and thus telling them to pound sand and call the jail might not be the way to go.

Just my two cents. Nothing more

Comment

• Koala45
            Forum Member
            • Aug 2010

We have a website that you can type a name into a see their charges. I refer them there.

Comment

• 11B250
              Forum Member
              • Sep 2012

florida.arrests.org

everything is on there, you can't hide from it.

great investigate tool as well. it links you to their fb page if they have one, and you will surprised when you see they post publicly 'drunk and driving 100 on the mother effin highway! YOLO!'

great evidence LOL

Comment

• PeteBroccolo
                Retired
                • Apr 2001

Against privacy legislation up here to inform ANYONE of what ANYONE ELSE has been charged with or investigated for, UNLESS the "client" is < 18 years old, THEN the parents MUST BE informed.
                #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                "Smile" - no!

Comment

• 11B250
                  Forum Member
                  • Sep 2012

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo
                  Against privacy legislation up here to inform ANYONE of what ANYONE ELSE has been charged with or investigated for, UNLESS the "client" is < 18 years old, THEN the parents MUST BE informed.
                  same here, if it's juvenile. WE must get a hold of some family member, or a legal guardian. Must make every attempt. also we have to release them to their parents on a misdemeanor arrest. if we can't get a hold of ANYONE, they go to JAC (Juvenile Assessment Center) which is like a jail for the kiddies. lol

Comment

• creolecop
                    Forum Member
                    • Aug 2007

Exactly. I saw that Randy Travis is suing TX DPS for releasing his info. and it got me to thinking. Like I said, PCs are public record so I don't know what his lawsuit could be for. I always take the side of caution in these matters when asked questions that will only be available in a police report.
                    Randy travis is not suing THEM per say he's suing to block the release of the video. He won't win because video is all apart of public record and subject to the FOI act. He may get a temporary block while his case goes through the judicial process as to not contaminate a potential jury pool but as soon as its over the video will be released. Law enforcement don't have much lead way in denying the release of video when requested by the media as in Randy's case. The media did a FOI request is why the video is on the verge of being released.
                    Ignored: Towncop, Pulicords, TacoMac, Ten08

Comment

• swat_op506
                      Aggresively Unfancy
                      • Jan 2010

Our department policy is to tweet the arrest info immediately. We then post the info on facebook.
                      Finally, we put their book-in property on ebay.

Settle down- it's a joke, however, #'s 1 & 2 would be legal if done.

Comment

• Bill321
                        Forum Member
                        • Aug 2009

I learned the hard way not to talk to parents. Years ago while working in the drug unit my partner arrests a college kid for Delivery (idiot sold him a lb. of Hydro and we were working our way up). I'm the idiot elected to interview the 19 year old w/m. During the interview one of the unit officers comes knocking on the door. Says the dude's mama's on the phone.(Student's live in girl friend called mama after the knock and talk at her apartment). I won't talk to her until after the interview is completed. So stupid me calls her back and she starts telling me I "can't talk to him". I asked her if he was "mentally disabled or something"? Mama says "NO". So I explained to her he was read his rights and chose to make a statement and it was "not of her concern" at this time. And by the way he "Confessed" in a digitally taped interview. She filed a "Courtesy and Civility" complaint the next day. It didn't go anywhere but it taught me the valuable lesson they can talk to there own mother. Only time I talk to a parent is for required parental notification.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 23666 users online. 66 members and 23600 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                        Working...