Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Embarrassed to ask this as a 5 yr officer

But what can happen if anything in this scenario:

You arrest a young adult and their parents inquire about what happened..

I rarely discuss details but we dealt with a concerned parent last night and we told her what her 19 year old was in jail for. Does anyone know of any legal ramifications for that? Could someone possibly have a civil suit? After all, probable cause affidavits are subject to public record.

I just tell them what jail he is going to and to call them for the charges.

Comment

It's public records so not much. Our PD jail has a internal policy against giving the info out over the phone. But in person we can tell anyone.
      1*

Comment

Originally posted by Tmg View Post
        I just tell them what jail he is going to and to call them for the charges.
        Same here, cause you know that the first phone call is to momma. They're gonna know everything anyways, because in between the bad mouthing parents can get the partial story.
        Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God

Matthew 5:9

Comment

If anyone asked if a person was in jail, we always told them yes or no. We would even tell them the charge. It wasn't a secret.
          Retired

Comment

I would usually tell a parent what their adult child was charged with because that was public information. I would avoid telling them any other details of the event because parents often want to hold court on the spot and debate the matter, or will sometimes later misrepresent what you said and initiate a complaint or attempt to attack your credibility.

If they pressed for more, my out was to tell them because their child is an adult, disclosing additional information would violate their child’s privacy rights and that I couldn’t violate their child’s rights.
            Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
              I would usually tell a parent what their adult child was charged with because that was public information. I would avoid telling them any other details of the event because parents often want to hold court on the spot and debate the matter, or will sometimes later misrepresent what you said and initiate a complaint or attempt to attack your credibility.

If they pressed for more, my out was to tell them because their child is an adult, disclosing additional information would violate their child’s privacy rights and that I couldn’t violate their child’s rights.
              True.
              Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Remember 18 and up, they're adults. Treat a 19 year old like you would a 49 year old. No need to discuss anything about the circumstances of the arrest. Tell them the charges and when the little darling will see a judge.

Comment

They might be public record but your PD might have policies against releasing that sort of information. Our county has booking information online, I just tell people to look there. They get what they need and keeps me out of a trick bag if someone wants to gripe about their "privacy"

Comment

Originally posted by Dingo990 View Post
                    They might be public record but your PD might have policies against releasing that sort of information. Our county has booking information online, I just tell people to look there. They get what they need and keeps me out of a trick bag if someone wants to gripe about their "privacy"
                    Exactly. I saw that Randy Travis is suing TX DPS for releasing his info. and it got me to thinking. Like I said, PCs are public record so I don't know what his lawsuit could be for. I always take the side of caution in these matters when asked questions that will only be available in a police report.

Comment

As long as your agency does not have a poilicy about releasing certain information, public record is public record. I can understand the concern from parents, but hate it when they try to debate the arrest or think they can change what happened. I will tell them what the charges are and suggest they speak with their child about the incident.

Comment

Originally posted by LawFowl View Post
                        Exactly. I saw that Randy Travis is suing TX DPS for releasing his info. ..............................so I don't know what his lawsuit could be for. .
                        Just remember that ANYONE can sue ANYONE for ANY REASON.

Doesn't mean the suit will go anywhere.
                        Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

Why take the chance? I don't tell anyone anything about adult arrests, not even spouses. If they want to know, they can ask the arrestee.

Comment

Originally posted by Chomp View Post
                            Why take the chance? I don't tell anyone anything about adult arrests, not even spouses. If they want to know, they can ask the arrestee.
                            That's my stance %95 of the time. Depending of the attitudes of the parties involved, or if the parent has a genuine concern, I may tell them a little more than normal. In this case the other night BOTH parents were Houston PD officers and the stolen property we were about to recover was in their home. I was polite with them because a search warrant would have taken 2-3 hours.

Comment

Originally posted by LawFowl View Post
                              But what can happen if anything in this scenario:

You arrest a young adult and their parents inquire about what happened..

I rarely discuss details but we dealt with a concerned parent last night and we told her what her 19 year old was in jail for. Does anyone know of any legal ramifications for that? Could someone possibly have a civil suit? After all, probable cause affidavits are subject to public record.
                              It's absolutely nothing wrong with telling someone WHAT someone was arrested for. It's public information anyway unless they are a juvenile.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 10525 users online. 326 members and 10199 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X