Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

14 years in and 11 more to go.....

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
 
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 14 years in and 11 more to go.....

    Until retirement, but lately I have been so burned out with law enforcement, any of you feel this way? Hope there are other Leo's who feel this way.

  • #2
    Originally posted by Copper8675309 View Post
    Until retirement, but lately I have been so burned out with law enforcement, any of you feel this way? Hope there are other Leo's who feel this way.
    Yep, it's not unusual.............................

    You might get a "second wind" , or not


    Only you know if it is time to go, 14 yrs of hating your job is a LONG time.


    I would look around for a new direction......a transfer or some way of changing up what you are presently doing
    My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

    Comment


    • #3
      copper what dept you in?

      Comment


      • #4
        I am that way with the military right now, 12 in/8 to go. I kind of hope they do another drawdown and force me out, that way I can just go LE full time.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by kermit315 View Post
          I am that way with the military right now, 12 in/8 to go. I kind of hope they do another drawdown and force me out, that way I can just go LE full time.
          You could always go reserve and still claim your retirement...and go full time LE. Two pensions!

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by polizei1 View Post
            You could always go reserve and still claim your retirement...and go full time LE. Two pensions!
            I have 5 years left on this contract, that will put me at about 17.....so the only way out for the forseeable future is a force out because of a downsize. Unfortunately, the Navy has recently said that they need more in my rate, so I dont see that happening any time soon, but stranger things have happened.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Copper8675309 View Post
              Until retirement, but lately I have been so burned out with law enforcement, any of you feel this way? Hope there are other Leo's who feel this way.
              Hey Brother, you might want to changes positions, go to CID, SWAT, K-9 or just something else that you would like. Hopefully you're in a big enough dept to do that in. Also when you're off work find other things other than job to occupy your time. The guys that I see get burned out are the ones that are hard chargers 24/7 trying to save the world then bottom out when they realize they can't.
              Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Copper8675309 View Post
                Until retirement, but lately I have been so burned out with law enforcement, any of you feel this way? Hope there are other Leo's who feel this way.
                It is a call you have to make. I know guys who was more than halfway to retirement gave their two week notice and left. How do you feel? Wife and family, etc? When I sat back and really looked at the situation. My now ex-wife was 90% of the problem.

                Besides us talk to your Chaplain or clergy. Stay strong and be safe.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by kermit315 View Post
                  I am that way with the military right now, 12 in/8 to go. I kind of hope they do another drawdown and force me out, that way I can just go LE full time.
                  You are talking apples and oranges.

                  You think being military you can go LE and knock out 30 years? LE is a big world from Mayberry RFD to NYPD ERT. Lots of hard chargers think after the military this will be easy. IT IS NOT. I have been doing this since 1981 and in a big department it is very different from what you think happens on TV and in the movies. YMMV

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by polizei1 View Post
                    You could always go reserve and still claim your retirement...and go full time LE. Two pensions!
                    That's exactly what I did. Now I'm up to 19 years of military service and I only have 2 years to go before I'm "vested" in my LE pension.
                    MAC

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I felt the same way you did at 14 years, but now I have about 3 left. We can also use our vacation and sick time towards retirement which is why I am getting to check out a year early. Just keep plugging away and you will reach it. We have a ton of guys that "don't know I can make it" attitude with the same time left that you have. I encourage them to stick with because the check at the end of 25 is well worth it.

                      I feel for our new guys, they have to do 30 years to retire. It is killing our recruiting. 30 years in Mississippi at 60% or 30 years in Louisiana at 100%. Easy choice for the young guys.
                      Geaux Tigers

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by GC Tiger View Post
                        I felt the same way you did at 14 years, but now I have about 3 left. We can also use our vacation and sick time towards retirement which is why I am getting to check out a year early. Just keep plugging away and you will reach it. We have a ton of guys that "don't know I can make it" attitude with the same time left that you have. I encourage them to stick with because the check at the end of 25 is well worth it.

                        I feel for our new guys, they have to do 30 years to retire. It is killing our recruiting. 30 years in Mississippi at 60% or 30 years in Louisiana at 100%. Easy choice for the young guys.
                        Yea, that does make it easy.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Che View Post
                          You are talking apples and oranges.

                          You think being military you can go LE and knock out 30 years? LE is a big world from Mayberry RFD to NYPD ERT. Lots of hard chargers think after the military this will be easy. IT IS NOT. I have been doing this since 1981 and in a big department it is very different from what you think happens on TV and in the movies. YMMV
                          I am a reserve deputy now....its not like I am an outsider looking in.....

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by Copper8675309 View Post
                            Until retirement, but lately I have been so burned out with law enforcement, any of you feel this way? Hope there are other Leo's who feel this way.
                            Don't count, bad medicine, you get 'endex syndrome', take each day as it comes
                            Spare them but a rearwards glance,
                            These gentle heroes which we leave behind us,
                            And as the years pass,
                            When men behind desks feel safe to call
                            Their action's madness,
                            Be not ashamed to say,
                            You loved them

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Been on patrol for 14 years, longer than anyone in my department, maybe it's time for a change, I do not know. I just can't sit behind a desk, have to be out in the street, will tuff it out. With my sick and vacation time, I should be able to leave a little early.

                              Comment

                              MR300x250 Tablet

                              Collapse

                              What's Going On

                              Collapse

                              There are currently 3022 users online. 209 members and 2813 guests.

                              Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

                              Welcome Ad

                              Collapse
                              Working...
                              X