300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by retired View Post
    Your response to #2. Unless things have changed dramatically, all calls that were dispatched to field units were done so at the direction of a sworn officer. When I was working, civilians did not make that decision.
    I wish that we had a sarge working in the dispatch center sometimes, so they could decide to cancel us on all the B.S. non-police related runs we have to make.
    "Its not what you know, its what you can prove."-Training Day

"Game on, bitches. Whoop whoop, flash the lights, pull it over."

Comment

Originally posted by retired View Post
      Your response to #2. Unless things have changed dramatically, all calls that were dispatched to field units were done so at the direction of a sworn officer. When I was working, civilians did not make that decision.
      Well, there's always a Watch Deputy. It's just a civilian might be sending the call out. If that's what you mean. There's always a Watch Deputy nearby.

Comment

Originally posted by airforce81 View Post
        I want to get as much input from different departments as I can for the following questions to compare it to how things work at my agency. I have asked some friends who work in the area and they say our department is different than the rest in regards to the following:

1. Do you do reports for a verbal only domestic situation? Basically just an argument.

We write a full report on ANYTHING we start an ICR for. I mean literally anything. If you do an ATL and its UTL you write a report. You go to a domestic verbal and its unfounded or no one is there you write a report. FUN PAPERWORK LOL

2. Are you allowed to determine your own code response to a call, or does dispatch have to advise you of what code to run?

It is completely up to the officer if they run code and whether its lights and/or siren

3. Is it considered a use of force incident if you point your gun at somebody?

Again, only if it goes bang....however if we point a taser at someone we fill out a U of F even if it was never deployed or turned on

Thanks in advance for any feedback given. You can PM me if you wish to not say on here.

Comment

Originally posted by BayouCop View Post
          1. Yes, to CYA. Also, I think federal law in the US requires that you do a report on all domestic disturbance calls.
          unless dispatch put it out as a domestic, but in reality it was verbal altercation only, then we don't.

(I think I mentioned it but...) I had a domestic come out once. ended up the gf having a nightmare screaming... neighbor called. got there, everything was ok. no bruising, you can tell both were sleeping etc. I'm not gonna do a report on that. CAD notes only

"made contact with victim, was sleeping, woke up to nightmares"
          "not a domestic situation"

then I go back in service.

Comment

There is no federal law mandated that domestic complaints be documented. Unless an agency is receiving funding under the Violence Against Women Act or another federal statue, the USG does not have the ability to mandate reports be written.
            John from Maryland

Comment

Originally posted by BayouCop View Post

3. Technically, it is a use of force, but a Use of Force report would not be required. I would likely do an incident report just to CYA. It's better if you have it in writing when three years later you get served for a lawsuit claiming that you had no reason to draw down on your dirtbag and that the emotional stress you caused by doing so has rendered him impotent and incontinent.
              If you have no offense then why not make good notes in the call and been done with? You can CYA without creating extra work for you or your supervisor, especially if it's not required.
              Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

1. Do you do reports for a verbal only domestic situation? Basically just an argument.
                No, I write crime reports. If there's no crime, I don't usually write a report.

2. Are you allowed to determine your own code response to a call, or does dispatch have to advise you of what code to run?
                If it's a hot call, beeper goes out before the call. Typically that means go C3 to the scene. For all other calls, it's up to the deputy. Fire, medical, risk of injury or apprehension are the C3 factors.

Not really. If I point my gun at someone as a use of force, I better put in an FI on that person and document it in the FI narrative.

Comment

1. Yes
                  2. Yes we make the decision
                  3. Yes...point gun or taser and it's a use of force.

Comment

1. We had the job type of ‘domestic argument’ taken out of our report system so we can’t write it up like that. We are forced to treat every Domestic as a huge incident. The paperwork involved for each and every Domestic is crippling. There is no such thing as a simple ‘domestic argument’ (our DV related homicides and serious assaults are at a high rate).

2. At the end of the day we determine how we go to a job. It never used to be like that but the dept did that to cover themselves in case we crash on the way to something they told us to go to quickly.

3. If you had to draw and point your firearm at someone here it would be a huge incident. A butt load of paperwork follows. One of my mates had to draw on someone and it was the first time in seven years since it had happened in that town.
                    The sheep don't like the sheepdog, He has sharp teeth and looks just like a wolf. However when the wolves come an entire flock attempts to hide behind one lonely sheepdog.

Comment

I want to get as much input from different departments as I can for the following questions to compare it to how things work at my agency. I have asked some friends who work in the area and they say our department is different than the rest in regards to the following:

Thanks in advance for any feedback given. You can PM me if you wish to not say on here.
                      1. No, and I'm not going to. Dispatch produces a call for service file in which I may radio back any disposition. When the dispatch generates the CFS all radio traffic afterward is logged into that form. I've been using this approach with different systems and different agencies since 2005. It works.

2. Code response has always been dictated by policy. Some agencies are more lenient on officer interpretation. People sitting in chairs behind radios have never and will never dictate the speed and/or equipment used when I respond to a call. I say this having spent some time in dispatch.

3. Pointing or aiming a weapon is a show of force, but I've never had it included within a use of force policy. Using your position to make someone do something they wouldn't otherwise be doing is using force. If I had to write something up for every occasion I've pointed or aimed my weapon at someone my report history would more than quadruple in number. I am aware of a university PD nearby that has to write something up for that, but then if they raise their voice they have to write something up.

To add, if you're on a committee to reshape your deparment's policies, get rid of the use of force continuum, pyramid, or whatever buzz word your agency names it. Use a statutory use of force policy by which the officer chooses the force given the totality of the circumstane, i.e. what is immediately reasonable rather than having to bounce through different options.

Comment

1. every domestic incident gets a state "domestic incident report". Even if somebody calls in and says a guy is beating his girl and by the time we get there they're gone... still have to do the report.

2. we decide on our own. We almost always have 5 jobs holding, we also decide which ones we go to first.

3. Yes it is considered 'use of force' but we don't have any use of force paperwork or anything that is done different.

Comment

1. maybe
                          2. yes we determine if we run code. only time we are required is when we are enroute to an accident with injuries or if we are disregarding traffic control devices.
                          3. only if you point it directly at a person.
                          "The best of the best of the best, sir! With honors." - Jay, MIB

Comment

1. No
                            2. Calls are classified as priority E 1, 2, or 3, by dispatch but it is a guideline, the actual response is determined by the officer.
                            3. No use of force so long as the weapon was drawn to gain a tactical advantage.
                            Errare humanum est, sed perseverare diabolicum
                            To err is human, but to persist is diabolical

Comment

No. If it is determined that no violence or criminal offense occurred, then we enter in call notes via MDC. The call notes will suffice as documentation of the incident and can be done in less than 2 minutes vs the 15+ minutes of being out of service to do an incident report.

Kinda. By policy, if it is determined that there is a threat to life, a serious threat of bodily injury to anyone involved, if it is a Priority One call (Accident with Injuries, Jaws Call, Robbery IP, Robbery Just Occurred, Residential/Commercial Burglary In Progress, etc.) or a call where the perp is fleeing the scene to a serious incident, we can run lights and siren. That said, I am not running hot to a call for an accident with injuries where the complaint is of neck pain or something minimal. I will run hot to a call where someone is fighting with or running from our officers. Dispatch doesn't make my decisions for me. I am responsible for my response priority and anything that results from it.

Not anymore. Up until about 3 years ago, if we pointed our firearms, red-dotted someone with our Tasers, or handcuffed someone without it resulting in arrest, we had to do a use of force report at the very least. Now, if we do so, we just have to document on our call notes and/or our report if the call results in one being written. Needless to say, our officer safety is quite a bit better because lots of our guys didn't do those three things when they should have for fear they would have to do some paperwork.
                              Last edited by S.O.444; 03-23-2013, 12:20 AM.

Comment

1. Do you do reports for a verbal only domestic situation? Basically just an argument. Yes, Alabama state law requires a report on all domestic incidents.

2. Are you allowed to determine your own code response to a call, or does dispatch have to advise you of what code to run? Yes

3. Is it considered a use of force incident if you point your gun at somebody? Gun doesn't require UoF report, but Taser display or deployment does. Per the force continuum, our mere presence is use of force, so definitely a gun.

Last edited by Tackleberry209; 03-23-2013, 08:05 PM.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 2921 users online. 193 members and 2728 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X