300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Tic Tac View Post
    Can someone please discuss why a dispatcher would ever decide how i drive to a call. I have never heard of this before.
    Because there are predetermined dispatch protocols which based upon the call criteria determine how the agency will respond to the call. Here in Washington DC, where communications advises you of the code for the call, it is determined in the Call Taking Phase of the call based upon what the call is classified as.

So it isn't really the dispatcher who is "deciding" how you will respond to the call. It is that the police bosses and the communications bosses have sat down and determined what types of calls will be responded to using lights and sirens and what types of calls will be responded to in a routine manner before hand. The dispatcher is then dispatching within those guidelines.

Of course, the dispatchers and police supervisors have the authority to upgrade and downgrade calls based upon the individual circumstances of the call. And as CityCopDC stated in his response, officers also have a good bit of discretion as our dispatch channels are often very busy and it is sometimes impossible to even get on the air.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Distric...ice_Department

Comment

Originally posted by airforce81 View Post
      I want to get as much input from different departments as I can for the following questions to compare it to how things work at my agency. I have asked some friends who work in the area and they say our department is different than the rest in regards to the following:

1. Do you do reports for a verbal only domestic situation? Basically just an argument.

Yes, titled Domestic Incident.

2. Are you allowed to determine your own code response to a call, or does dispatch have to advise you of what code to run?

You can determine code response yourself; however, being a Sergeant, we do pay attention and address those that need a little guidance.

3. Is it considered a use of force incident if you point your gun at somebody?

No.

Thanks in advance for any feedback given. You can PM me if you wish to not say on here.

Comment

1. Yes, to CYA. Also, I think federal law in the US requires that you do a report on all domestic disturbance calls.

2. I decide. Supervisor can tell me to step up, slow down, or not respond.

3. Technically, it is a use of force, but a Use of Force report would not be required. I would likely do an incident report just to CYA. It's better if you have it in writing when three years later you get served for a lawsuit claiming that you had no reason to draw down on your dirtbag and that the emotional stress you caused by doing so has rendered him impotent and incontinent.

Comment

Originally posted by LA DEP View Post
          1. Depends on the exact nature of the 'verbal'.....but they are usually documented in a written report...for the same reasons that others have posted

2. Dispatch tells us when we are allowed to roll with lights and sirens....we can request to bump up the response, but our watch commander (via dispatch) has the final say

3. No
          Your response to #2. Unless things have changed dramatically, all calls that were dispatched to field units were done so at the direction of a sworn officer. When I was working, civilians did not make that decision.
          Retired

Comment

1. No, unless there is a threat made or some other type of crime. All calls are documented in CAD so if you need to add notes you can.

2. The dispatch priority of the call determines the response. This can be altered by a supervisor.

3. Yes. Pointing the gun at someone is a use of force and documented as such.

Comment

Originally posted by airforce81 View Post
              I want to get as much input from different departments as I can for the following questions to compare it to how things work at my agency. I have asked some friends who work in the area and they say our department is different than the rest in regards to the following:

1. Do you do reports for a verbal only domestic situation? Basically just an argument.

2. Are you allowed to determine your own code response to a call, or does dispatch have to advise you of what code to run?

3. Is it considered a use of force incident if you point your gun at somebody?

Thanks in advance for any feedback given. You can PM me if you wish to not say on here.
              1. No. Dispatch logs the call for us, but I don't do a report unless I take some sort of official action (i.e. arrest/use of force, DC warning, etc).

2. Yep. I choose whatever combination of lights/sirens I want to run with, if any. I can see how large cities might need to regulate, but I would hate being told that I don't have discretion when I'm the one actually responding.

3. Yes, but no report necessary on that action alone, just a phone call to my Chief.

Comment

1. Up to the officer, but generally I'll do a few sentences in the call notes.

2. We have a list of every single call you are allowed to go code 3 to. If a police sergeant working in the dispatch center wants to allow you to go code 3 to something not on the list they will give you permission to do so. So basically no we can't decide what to run code to.

3. As of recently in my dept anything other than compliant handcuffing must be documented. So pointing your weapon at someone must be documented in an online report.

Comment

1. We do not document domestic arguments. When we started the Pro-Prosecution Domestic Violence Initiative, the county police wanted to march lockstep to the Coalition Against Domestic Violence orders to write reports on any domestic. I protested that this was collecting intelligence information on non-criminal behavior. Fortunately, one of their command staff reached the same conclusion.

2. We're a suburb of D.C. and have a similiar protocol. Calls are dispatched priority or routine based on department policy. A supervisor may up or reduce the response code. Officers routinely ask to change response code based on the specific facts (e.g.: suicidal ideation without a means, especially when the subject is at the crisis center, and domestic violence when the parties are separated are frequently downgraded).

3. No.
                  John from Maryland

Comment

#1: No, but we will include a little note on the CAD ticket
                    #2: We determine our own response
                    #3. No

Comment

Originally posted by retired View Post
                      Your response to #2. Unless things have changed dramatically, all calls that were dispatched to field units were done so at the direction of a sworn officer. When I was working, civilians did not make that decision.
                      That has changed......not everyone on the desk is sworn, and the one that hits the 'send' key is not always the Watch Deputy.
                      The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

1. Sometimes
                        2. Yes we make the decision
                        3. Yes...point gun or taser and it's a use of force.
                        yeah!

Comment

1) Not a full report, but likely detailed CAD notes and there is a self contained single page report that can be done and sent to the domestic advocate. Its not really a report, just a fill in the blank form.

2) Officer makes the decision, but you better be basing it on general orders.

3) No.
                          I miss you, Dave.
                          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

Originally posted by DCPSDcop View Post
                            Because there are predetermined dispatch protocols which based upon the call criteria determine how the agency will respond to the call. Here in Washington DC, where communications advises you of the code for the call, it is determined in the Call Taking Phase of the call based upon what the call is classified as.

So it isn't really the dispatcher who is "deciding" how you will respond to the call. It is that the police bosses and the communications bosses have sat down and determined what types of calls will be responded to using lights and sirens and what types of calls will be responded to in a routine manner before hand. The dispatcher is then dispatching within those guidelines.

Of course, the dispatchers and police supervisors have the authority to upgrade and downgrade calls based upon the individual circumstances of the call. And as CityCopDC stated in his response, officers also have a good bit of discretion as our dispatch channels are often very busy and it is sometimes impossible to even get on the air.
                            Exactly. If DCPSDCop requests assistance, I don't "have to advise" the dispatcher I am responding. I can simply hit my lights and sirens and go. With the change in the way our radio system now works, only one person can transmit at a time. Which means if I'm trying to get on the air to advise the dispatcher I am responding, it tends to be a bit difficult if several other units are trying to do the exact same thing.

So while you are "suppose" to advise the dispatcher you are responding, the unwritten rule is if you the officer feels the call rquires a code response, you can do it.

Comment

Originally posted by Prov1x View Post
                              1. Sometimes
                              2. Yes we make the decision
                              3. Yes...point gun or taser and it's a use of force.
                              I'm glad we don't have that UOF policy.....as I pointed a gun at someone at least once a week, and that was working a 'medium' paced station in LA.

If you get more than a certain number of UOF (like maybe 12-15) in a certain period of time, you will get an the equivalent of an IA opened on you (Commanders Force Review panel) ....don't ask me how I know this...
                              The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Yes

I decide what code I drive but my sergeant can and does slow me down when he feels it necessary.

No

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3473 users online. 231 members and 3242 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X