300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by airforce81 View Post

1. Do you do reports for a verbal only domestic situation? Basically just an argument.

Yes, but pretty short and to the point (CYA)

2. Are you allowed to determine your own code response to a call, or does dispatch have to advise you of what code to run?

I decide

3. Is it considered a use of force incident if you point your gun at somebody?

No
    Always Outnumbered, Never Outgunned

Comment

No crime, no report.

Dispatch can't make that decision. Only the responding deputy decides, and the sergeant can reduce us to Code 2.

Drawing down is not a use of force.
      Government is not the solution to our problem; government is the problem. - Ronald Reagan

I don't think It'll happen in the US because we don't trust our government. We are a country of skeptics, raised by skeptics, founded by skeptics. - Amaroq

Comment

1. Depends on the circumstances. I tend to write a report on them just for CYA unless it is extremely minor and low risk.
        2. I decide. 1st unit on scene can advise to slow it down, step it up, or disregard. If dispatch hears things take a drastic turn for the worse before anyone gets on scene they can suggest we step it up. Supervisors can obviously make the final call but it is rare.
        3. No UoF report required but often times reports are required due to other aspects of the incident.

Comment

No report required for domestic (verbal only). It's not a crime to have an argument with a family member. We just document in cad, indicating no crime occurred and was just verbal in nature.
          As for running code, the officer decides how to respond based on the nature of the call, not dispatch,
          We are not required to do a UOF report when drawing our sidearm and point it at someone.

Comment

I want to get as much input from different departments as I can for the following questions to compare it to how things work at my agency. I have asked some friends who work in the area and they say our department is different than the rest in regards to the following:

1. Do you do reports for a verbal only domestic situation? Basically just an argument.

2. Are you allowed to determine your own code response to a call, or does dispatch have to advise you of what code to run?

Thanks in advance for any feedback given. You can PM me if you wish to not say on here.
            1. Depends. But mostly yes.
            2. The department has guidelines and I work within them. Dispatch never tells us what code to run. SGT may however.
            3. Yes.
            1*

Comment

1. no
              2. yes
              3. no
              In Valor there is hope

Comment

I'm guessing those that have to write on all domestics don't get them a lot. It would not be feasible where I work to write every one because that would take me off the road for quite some time or give me overtime almost every day after my shift to catch up on report writing.

Comment

Years ago, we used to fill out non-criminal family violence cards. We would fill in all of the required blanks at the top and type in the story at the bottom.

Years ago, dispatch used to give us the code response, but no more. We tell them our response.

For simply pointing a gun at someone is a use of force, but not one where we would complete any type of report.

Comment

Yes, to CYA. Not required.
                    Yes.
                    No.

Comment

This is a good thread -

Depends on type of verbal. Had one recently where the daugther's (14yoa) phone got taken, so she went crazy yelling and pushing mom around, when we got there things had calmed down, girl was bipolar and on meds. we talked to everyone resolved sitatuion. I added CAD notes, and gave it out as a verbal altercation and CAD notes have been entered. in service. It doesn't hurt to do a quick infromational though. I mean it takes like 30 mins to do if that.

We have priorities. Priority 2 would be code (dispatch determines) but based on what I know, I usually decide. some require lights&siren, some only lights. at night, it's usually only lights unless there is heavy traffic.

depends. not really. if I take out the shotgun and point, I will do a use of force.

doing little extra work is CYA and doesn't really hurt.

Comment

Most of the time, yes.

I decide.

Yes.

Comment

No, No and No.
                          "Laws that forbid the carrying of arms. . . disarm only those who are neither inclined nor determined to commit crimes. . . Such laws make things worse for the assaulted and better for the assailants; they serve rather to encourage than to prevent homicides, for an unarmed man may be attacked with greater confidence than an armed man." - Thomas Jefferson

Comment

I want to get as much input from different departments as I can for the following questions to compare it to how things work at my agency. I have asked some friends who work in the area and they say our department is different than the rest in regards to the following:

Thanks in advance for any feedback given. You can PM me if you wish to not say on here.
                            Yes

Yes and No (For the most part the dispatcher determines the response. However, a reasonable and prudent officer can justify why he/she did not get approval.) Especially since only one person can talk at a time.

Yes

Comment

Can someone please discuss why a dispatcher would ever decide how i drive to a call. I have never heard of this before.

They triage, they inform, they coordinate, hell i worked on a call rotation, so they were POWERFUL, but they do not have the ability to make field decisions.

Comment

1. Around here, domestics, no matter how trivial require 2 reports. An incident report, which we do for any call for service and a domestic incident report.

2. We determine our response to calls. We might get advisements like "units on scene advise they're secure, slow your response" but otherwise we drive the way we see fit.

3. It's not a use of force unless a round is fired.
                                I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4199 users online. 261 members and 3938 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                                Working...
                                X