300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Does your department....

I want to get as much input from different departments as I can for the following questions to compare it to how things work at my agency. I have asked some friends who work in the area and they say our department is different than the rest in regards to the following:

1. Do you do reports for a verbal only domestic situation? Basically just an argument.

2. Are you allowed to determine your own code response to a call, or does dispatch have to advise you of what code to run?

3. Is it considered a use of force incident if you point your gun at somebody?

Thanks in advance for any feedback given. You can PM me if you wish to not say on here.
    "Saying guns cause crime is like saying pencils cause spelling mistakes"

Originally posted by airforce81 View Post
    I want to get as much input from different departments as I can for the following questions to compare it to how things work at my agency. I have asked some friends who work in the area and they say our department is different than the rest in regards to the following:

1. Do you do reports for a verbal only domestic situation? Basically just an argument.
    Yes, if they kill each other tomorrow, it might be nice to have in writing that you where there and did your job correctly.
    2. Are you allowed to determine your own code response to a call, or does dispatch have to advise you of what code to run?
    I decide. Everywhere I have been it's my choice. Granted a supervisor once in a great while would send me somewhere and ask I go "Code 2," or lights only. This was normally when it was busy and they where sending priority backup for a warrant or something where time was important but the bad guy didn't know what was going to happen.
    Depends on how define UoF. An officer ordering someone to so something is a form of force, as is pointing your gun. Now does that require a UoF report, depends on the agency.

Thanks in advance for any feedback given. You can PM me if you wish to not say on here.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
    (")_(")
    Copy and paste Bunny into your
    signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

[QUOTE=airforce81;3235474]I want to get as much input from different departments as I can for the following questions to compare it to how things work at my agency. I have asked some friends who work in the area and they say our department is different than the rest in regards to the following:

No, we don't. If it's just a verbal argument we'll enter that in the call notes but no report will be generated.

Yes but a supervisor can tell you to reduce. That doesn't happen often.

3. Is it considered a use of force incident if you point your gun at somebody? No, it isn't unless your gun goes bang!
      Last edited by Rush817; 02-14-2013, 02:00 PM.
      Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

Absolutely on any type of domestic. CYA so (like the last poster said) if SHTF after you leave you can show what the situation was when you were there.

Always my choice. The civilian dispatchers are great at dispatching but I don't think many have ran code anywhere so they shouldn't have any say in the matter. On a side note they can see when I am running code anyway so it's best not to be stupid about it.

No, and I've seen several threads around here recently where people are asking if it is for even drawing your weapon, never mind pointing it at someone. If that was the case I would have a few more reports every week. You never want to make someone second guess drawing their weapon when they feel it is necessary. I recall several calls when I first got on patrol where holding someone at gunpoint may not have been the best course of action, but it certainly wasn't wrong and nobody ever second guessed me for doing it.

Comment

1. No we do not. We will have dispatch make some call notes that no offenses occurred.

2. I choose if I run code or not.

3. No UOF report for that. Only if we discharge our weapon.

Comment

1. Depends on the exact nature of the 'verbal'.....but they are usually documented in a written report...for the same reasons that others have posted

2. Dispatch tells us when we are allowed to roll with lights and sirens....we can request to bump up the response, but our watch commander (via dispatch) has the final say

3. No
            The posts on this forum by this poster are of his personal opinion, and his personal opinion alone

"Politicians are like diapers. They need to be changed often and for the same reason"

"We fight not for glory; nor for wealth; nor honor, but only and alone we fight for freedom, which no good man surrenders but with his life"

Comment

Supposed to do reports on verbal domestics but thats fading away (thank god). Arguing with your spouse isn't a crime.

We decide.

No use of force paperwork.
              For the cops out there: You are an adult. If you want to write someone, write them. If you don't want to write someone, then don't write them.

"Jeff, you are the best cop on this board"-Anonymous Post

Comment

Unfortuneatley Yes any domestic job gets a written report
                We decide
                No unless we shoot it.

Comment

1.I did a report for everything.
                  2. I do.
                  3. No.
                  Why do we try so Hard for Little things, and so Little for Hard things?

"There is no happiness without tears; no life without death. Beware, I will give you cause to weep"

R.I.P Hand Sanitizer, you will be missed…

Remember, Gay, Straight, Black, White, or HIV+, on this forum you're "Blue" and that's what matters most.

Comment

1) Officer's discretion. If it's a family/dating, a report is usually done because we will probably be back to that house repeatedly, and it's good to start documenting it. If it's an emotionally disturbed transient having an argument through the speaker at the McDonalds drive through.. I probably won't do a report unless I arrest him.

2)dispatch or supervisor decides whether lights/sirens are authorized. if you feel the call needs to be upgraded or downgraded, you can get on the radio and request it from a supervisor.

3)Not a use of force to point your gun (actively target someone)
                    "No one can make you feel like a turd without your permission." - Eleanor Roosevelt.

Comment

1. No. Every call is documented by dispatch with a disposition code and a small narrative if the deputy wishes to add one.

2. I decide. A supervisor can tell me to reduce (unheard of unless it is an actual pursuit, then not common). Dispatchers have none of the training, nor accept any of the liability concerning driving.

3. No report required. One would generally be generated and the gunplay mentioned, due to whatever reason I put someone at gunpoint, but no specific use of force report.

Comment

Thanks for the replies, keep them coming. So far the results are:

1. Yes-7 No-3

2. You decide-8 Dispatch-2

3. No-9
                        "Saying guns cause crime is like saying pencils cause spelling mistakes"

Comment

only time verbal is written up is if a protective order is sought other than that no.

dispatch may dispatch calls as code 1, but ultimately my decision unless overruled by a supervisor.

nothing unless its fired.

Comment

No.

Yes. Our department policy determines what type of responses are allowed to certain incidents. It is up to the individual officer to make sure he/she follows department policy and state law. Each officer should constantly be evaluating any updates received while enroute and upgrade or downgrade the response as appropriate.

No.

"Watch your thoughts, for they become words.
                            Watch your words, for they become actions.
                            Watch your actions, for they become habits.
                            Watch your habits, for they become character.
                            Watch your character, for it becomes your destiny.”

Comment

1. Do you do reports for a verbal only domestic situation? Basically just an argument. YES

2. Are you allowed to determine your own code response to a call, or does dispatch have to advise you of what code to run? ME

3. Is it considered a use of force incident if you point your gun at somebody? YES

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3114 users online. 217 members and 2897 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X