Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• hooahmedic
    replied
    My partner and I had just finished checking a school and were standing outsiding BS'ing. LOUD crash from up the street. We race to the scene. Car smashed in the middle of the road, other car sitting in ditch. Driver of car in road, conscious and breathing - although quite intoxicated. No skid marks at all. Driver in second vehicle. Pinned in. I smash open the window and climb in with him. He is agonal breathing. His head is bent back at a very bad angle but still hanging on.

(A body feels very strange when it's dying. Especially in it's last few moments. It's like every muscle, tendon, ligament and fiber is as tight as banjo string - it's very hard to explain.)

The guy goes to sit up, I grab his hand and tell him to hang on. I instantly notice that he has the very unique feel to him. I realize that I'm watching this young man die.
    I climb out of the car and stand just outside the car window on the street and watch him die. Now, I'm a paramedic student/army medic. I got some knowledge and skills that can help this guy but because of his position and the quickness life is leaving him, I can do nothing. I know it but still dosen't change the fact that I felt rotten for days afterwards.

Several days later, sister of young man, comes to the Dept to see my partner and I (whew). Seems her brother has just come to Texas, legally. Starting a new life, job, school. Drove home this way because his normal way was flooded. Sister thanks us profusely with hugs and tears. We get invited to memorial dinner after the turd is convicted. Everyone involved in this case is there. Police, Paramedics, Asst DA. It was really touching to be apart of such a fine young man's life, even though at the end of it all.

God and I had a very real, serious and heartfelt talk over this. That was one burden I wasn't handling very well and hope that I don't have to do too many more times.

Leave a comment:

• Catman
    replied
    Originally posted by retdetsgt
    I like to think I'm civilized, but the truth be known, there are several "parents" I would like to come across camping in the woods. They'd die real slow.....

Leave a comment:

• retdetsgt
    replied
    I like to think I'm civilized, but the truth be known, there are several "parents" I would like to come across camping in the woods. They'd die real slow.....

Leave a comment:

• LPDtactical
    replied
    RetDetSgt:

Your post reminded me of a story from my parther. Every year we do the "shop with a cop" around christmas time for the underprivelaged kids. Each kid gets $20 to spend on whatever they want(usually at Kmart or Wal-Mart), and they walk around the store with one of our officers who help them shop. My partner was walking with a little kid (probably 5), and this kid was amazing, kept buying toys for his little sisters and brothers to play with, and never wanted to buy anything for himself. My partner felt bad for him, and gave him $20 of his own money to buy something for himself. They had a great time shopping together, and at the end of the trip, my partner walked the kid back to the doors of the store where the parents were waiting. Kid walks towards his mother, and then turns around and waves goodbye to my partner. Mother grabs the kid's hand and scolds him loudly "YOU DON"T WAVE AT THE POLICE" and then takes him out of the store while glaring at us.

That was a heartbreaker. And you wonder why kids grow up hating the police. They didn't always hate us....

Leave a comment:

• Frank Booth
    Guest replied
    I had a 10 or 12 year-old who blew his 2 year-old brother's brains all over the wall with a shotgun. It was loaded with birshot, but their skulls are thin when they're only 2. He was mad at his "parents" such that they were....He already had his alibi together by the time we got there....Said the 2 year-old shot himself, and was telling the parents that everything was going to be OK. It was a dope house..I don't remember much about the case, but I made one court appearance, and the mamma was making dagger eyes at me like I did something wrong...I wish I would have remembered the kid's name to see if he's in prison now for some adult murder...The parents names too, for that matter..

Leave a comment:

• retdetsgt
    replied
    Originally posted by Frank Booth
    Like Bernard Goetz.....
    Yeah, I've talked to 10 year old kids that were reptiles, no feelings left whatsoever. They'd been beaten and abused to the point that they had stuffed what ever normal human feelings they had so deep, they'll never be seen again. Future killers of America.

Leave a comment:

• Frank Booth
    Guest replied
    Like Bernard Goetz.....

Leave a comment:

• kenpokev
    replied
    There's been many times we're I wish I could take some of these kids home with me, they don't have a chance.
    Sometimes, just sometimes, they turn out all right and make it their passion to change the world they live in for the better.

Trust me.

Leave a comment:

• Catman
    replied
    Originally posted by retdetsgt
    The worst one was when I took a little boy to grand jury. He was about 8 and had been severely beaten and abused by a stepdad. The little guy had a bruise on his back that was a perfect imprint of a running shoe sole.

Anyway, we were quite a bit early and I walked around downtown with him and went into a store. I bought him a little cheap Star Wars toy, about 4 bucks to play with. We went to the grand jury waiting room and he was playing with the toy. He looked up at me and said, "I wish you were my dad." I about lost it right there. That kid was so appreciative of a 4 dollar toy and I thought about all the stuff my kids had and how little he did.
    Man, that touched me! There's been many times we're I wish I could take some of these kids home with me, they don't have a chance.

Leave a comment:

• retdetsgt
    replied
    The worst one was when I took a little boy to grand jury. He was about 8 and had been severely beaten and abused by a stepdad. The little guy had a bruise on his back that was a perfect imprint of a running shoe sole.

Anyway, we were quite a bit early and I walked around downtown with him and went into a store. I bought him a little cheap Star Wars toy, about 4 bucks to play with. We went to the grand jury waiting room and he was playing with the toy. He looked up at me and said, "I wish you were my dad." I about lost it right there. That kid was so appreciative of a 4 dollar toy and I thought about all the stuff my kids had and how little he did.

Leave a comment:

• Catman
    replied
    Originally posted by Frank Booth
    Do me a favor....If I'm still breathing and my heart is still beating, and the EMS people don't want to take me to the hospital, unless there is someone at the scene with "MD" after their name, take me yourself and then look the other way if I recover and beat the **** out of the guy who thought I didn't have a chance.....I've seen and read of too many instances of people "coming back from the dead" to trust a fireman with making the decision to "pull the plug" when I'm still breathing.....
    Unfortunately, I have seen this. In one case a mutual aid ambulance arrived before our Paramedics at a highway wreck. The EMT's said that one of the victims, a young female was dead. Our paramedics showed up and one of them checked her anyway and found a pulse. She was treated, transported and survived even though lesser EMT's had already thrown a sheet over her head.

Leave a comment:

• Frank Booth
    Guest replied
    One time, our station took in an injured deer that was struck by a car. We nursed him back to health and taught him to play backgammon. Then one day, he got sick and was diagnosed with TB. It's a big problem with deer around here. I had to take him out back and shoot him. Worst thing I ever had to do.....Well...second worst....The WORST was when we took this dog in.....raised him from a puppy....We called him "Old Red". Not because he was red in color, but just because we thought it was a cool name for a dog. Well, it came to pass that the sheep farmer who lived next to the station started finding his sheep dead out in the pasture. They was mangled up real bad, they was. We were sure it was the wolves that were tearing up his sheep, but he was sure it was Old Red. I had to take Old Red out back and shoot him. THAT was the worst thing I ever had to do on this job....No, wait....there was one more that was worse....We had a leadership problem in the department. The chief wasn't around, and we just didn't know what to do...One day, a cowboy happened into town. He was wise, and manly too. His name was "Blaine". He taught us all the things we needed to know, and was the chief-figure that we didn't have. Then, one day, after he had taught us many things, and instilled in us a sense of character....Well....I know, you're gonna think that I had to take him out back and shoot him...but I didn't. He just got on his horse and rode out of town...And we stood in front of the station and yelled "Blaine!!!!! Blaiiiiiiiiiiine!! Come back Blainnnneee!!!"
    Last edited by ; 11-11-2003, 04:58 AM.

Leave a comment:

• Girle911
    replied
    TOUCHING MOMENT? HEARTBREAKING MORE LIKE IT.

I'm a dispatcher that works for a very large department.
    I'm a 'control operator' which for smaller departments with only one dispatcher means that I only recieve police radio transmissions. We have dispatchers that take 911 calls and we take care of the rest.
    I've worked a particular sector for many many years and have had to deal with many officers that have fallen in the line of duty. It's always heartbreaking-certainly when you know them on a personal level and worked side by side with someone previously that made the jump from Dispatcher to LEO, which happens more often then not.
    But SUICIDE-

I did not know him. I knew the voice on the radio-that was all. I wish I had known him. I wish I had been able to save him. He came into dispatch 2 days prior to his death to give another dispatcher a jump on her car. I realized he was one of my cars after he left radio and I then sent a message to his laptop jokingly asking why he didn't bother to come and say hi to his control operator. He replied that with his hideous features that he wouldn't have dared (he had surgery from cancer) I typed back what I thought was an uplifting message. He responded with something like "compliments like that will buy you breakfast". I don't even know what I typed back. All I know is 2 days later he didn't show up for roll call and as his co-workers walked out to their cars, they found him in his police car-Dead from a bullet to his head. He left a note although I don't know what it said.
    The point of this post is that out of all the officers that I have talked to about this they have no sympathy for this man.
    As a matter of fact, he was made fun of before his death for makeshift gear, such as cutting off the bottom of a flashlight tube to place his mace in on his duty belt,to scars from surgery, etc. It is just so heartbreaking to me that he felt it necessary to go to roll call parking lot and shoot himself. Knowing that he should have been in roll call and that his co-workers would come out and find him. Yes, I know the meaning of why he did it the way he did, but, it still breaks my heart that there was no one he felt he could talk to. I barely even knew this man and yet I feel a deep ache in my heart for him.
    The department didn't even wait a month before they assigned his unit number to a rookie officer.
    Before you slam another officer, before you make fun of them, before you start a rumor-Just remember that they may have many more problems you're not aware of. I have had to deal with many deaths and for some reason this one has bothered me the most of all. I'll always wonder if I could have said something different. I'll always wonder if he hadn't been made fun of so much if it would have happened. I'll just forever wonder about him. He had a son that was 11 years old. Of course, Suicides are never listed on the page of fallen officers. They're a disgrace to the department. They're a 'coward' in the department's eyes. This officer has a son that looked up to him as a hero, which he was, but no one ever saw it.

Leave a comment:

• BlueBlood
    replied
    No touching moments yet, get cursed at alot though...

Leave a comment:

• IndianaDeputy
    replied
    Was asked to stop by the jail about 2 years ago to speak with a mother and her son. As I arrived they looked as normal as any other family and thus we sat and started talking. The son (11 yrs. old) informed me that he had been considering suicide. He had even grab a knife that day and treatened to harm himself in front of his mother. he also said that he had at one point loaded his fathers shotgun but could not go through with it. After talking for some time and learning that his father was extremely abusive, I learned alot about why he was so down on life. I took the young boy off to a room by myself and we had a candid discussion about life and about how much I wanted him to succeed. I was later joined by my shift Lt. who added a few words of wisdom. We both told the boy that if he ever had an issue with his father that was not resolved in a civil manner to give us a call (gave him our dept. card and home numbers). To this day the boy has never had to call (mom got rid of the father and moved) and thank God he decided that taking his own life was not the path to take. When it was time for the young boy to leave the Jail conference room, he gave us both a long hug, said thank you and promised us that he would do something good with his life. There are times in your career when you just can't help but get a tear in your eye (the Lt. too).

Leave a comment:

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 3771 users online. 254 members and 3517 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
Working...
X