Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 25 years 3 months 26 days

25 years 3 months 26 days ...

That's how much time I gave to this job. I turned in my papers today, effective date Nov. 1st.

Turned in my letter, weapon, all my gear; set up direct deposit of my pension check, and said my goodbyes. Get one more regular paycheck, get my payout on unused vacation, comp and sick time in late November, pension should start rollin in by end of the year. Got my new ID stamped "Retired", waiting on approval to purchase my duty weapon, got bonded to carry with retired credentials. Still got to talk with the folks at Deferred Comp and sort out the tax stuff.

If I still smoked and drank, I'd have a cigar and a scotch to celebrate. Probably several. Oh well. For those that still indulge, have one for me

Was it worthwhile?

Comment

Congrats! You made it out in one piece and your sanity intact. Enjoy those retirement checks, you earned them. 11 Months left for this guy.

Comment

Originally posted by Chopshopcop View Post
        25 years 3 months 26 days ...

That's how much time I gave to this job. I turned in my papers today, effective date Nov. 1st.

Turned in my letter, weapon, all my gear; set up direct deposit of my pension check, and said my goodbyes. Get one more regular paycheck, get my payout on unused vacation, comp and sick time in late November, pension should start rollin in by end of the year. Got my new ID stamped "Retired", waiting on approval to purchase my duty weapon, got bonded to carry with retired credentials. Still got to talk with the folks at Deferred Comp and sort out the tax stuff.

If I still smoked and drank, I'd have a cigar and a scotch to celebrate. Probably several. Oh well. For those that still indulge, have one for me
        Congrats..............................a total of 35 yrs with two different agencies and I toasted out 2 yrs ago....................Enjoy your retirement as much as I do (yea I work at a non sworn job for a sheriff's dept part time...but enjoy that I don''t HAVE to work)

Either find a hobby or a part time job to keep you sane (after a reasonable time of loafing)
        My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

I wish you the best, thank you for your service and hope that you live long and enjoy many, many retirement checks.
          “Truth is not what you want it to be; it is what it is, and you must bend to its power or live a lie.”

Miyamoto Musashi

“Life Is Hard, But It's Harder When You're Stupid”

George V. Higgins (from The Friends of Eddie Coyle)

Comment

Congrats, and welcome to the Retiree Club!

What happens with your badge - able to retain as-is, to be encased in acrylic, or melted down?

Does your Agency have an official Veterans Association, or at least will they pour you a mud if you stop by and the pot is on?

Did your Agency issue you a formal dress uniform, and can you still wear it for certain occasions?

Any benefits able to be carried on with?

My pension stub just arrived today; $58,400 per annum just to stay home! Badge is downstairs on the bookcase shelf in its acrylic Fortress Of Solitude. I now have to pay for me, the Commissioner and our youngest to be covered for medical and dental (mine was completely gratis, with a small annual charge for the others). I get to dress up like a picture-postcard for formal occasions (went to a stag dinner plus lead a parade in September). I make it to our Vets meetings about twice a year (same held about 1.25 hour drive away, and I'm cheap!). I see, or get a call from, some of my old partners every now and then.

Bottom line: you gonna likey!
            #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
            Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
            RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
            Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
            "Smile" - no!

Comment

Congrats. Have a very long and happy retirement.

Comment

Congratulations! I still have a long way to go.
                Getting shot hurts! Don't under estimate the power of live ammo. A .22LR can kill you! I personally feel that it's best to avoid being shot by any caliber. Your vest may stop the bullet, but you'll still get a nice bruise or other injury to remember the experience.

Comment

Congrats Brother! May you have a long and joyous retirement!
                  Strong Body, Sharp Mind And Good Tactics!

Comment

Thanks for all the well wishes. No immediate plans other than to go visit my daughter and grandkids next week in the DC area. Short-term, just relax for a while. Long-term, open to most anything as long as it doesn't involve law enforcement. I've had my fill for a while.

Got to keep my badge as is. No official retirees assoc, everybody tends to run far, far away from here when they retire. No ceremonial uniform, just the last set of Class A's that I bought anyway. City only gave me an acrylic trinket with my name and 25 years service etched in, and a gold-plated 25 year service pin. Around here, they scream about having to pay pensions, some would just as soon forget us.

I was lucky, I was fully vested and so far protected from major changes to pension and benefits. My wife still has 4 years to go and should be OK as well. New guys and those with 10 years or less are gonna get screwed. Handwriting is already on the wall...

Comment

A little late but, congratulations and welcome to the Retiree Club. I recommend the status highly, and believe you will too. It's been seven years since I pulled the pin. They've been about the fastest moving seven years of my life.

Once more, congratulations and sincere best wishes.

Comment

Enjoy your retirement.

Comment

Congrats! Enjoy the fruits of your labor and enjoy your pension.
                          I miss you, Dave.
                          http://www.odmp.org/officer/20669-of...david-s.-moore

Comment

I have 2 pins: a Retired Member's and a Veteran's Association membership.

At my retirement party (held about 1 month later, in -40C weather!), the group presented me with a framed mini-ceremonial horse saddle blanket (like our Musical Ride uses) with gold wire service star and metal collar and shoulder badges. Per tradition, everyone there signed the back of the framing.

I received a congratulatory letter from my Commanding Officer of my Division and the Prime Minister of Canada. I also have my 35 year Long Service Medal and 25 years Saskatchewan Protective Services Medal court-mounted for wear on my ceremonial uniform (and display at my eventual funeral!).

Stay healthy, happy and ready to "poke a stick" at the young'uns whenever you can!
                            #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
                            Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
                            RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
                            Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
                            "Smile" - no!

Comment

Do you have any advice for us young bucks??
                              I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 4039 users online. 239 members and 3800 guests.

Most users ever online was 158,966 at 04:57 AM on 01-16-2021.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X