Leader

Collapse

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

When visiting Canada, RELAX, you're good!

Collapse

300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When visiting Canada, RELAX, you're good!

http://www.thestar.com/news/canada/a...ss-u-s-officer

Seriously, gals and guys...unless you are in the 'hood, wherever, and I'm sure that you ALL will recognize same, even if YOU think that WE have the funny accent, just grab an XL double-double at Tim Horton's and enjoy the scenery!
    #32936 - Royal Canadian Mounted Police - 1975-10-27 / 2010-12-29
    Proud Dad of #54266 - RCMP - 2007-02-12 to date
    RCMP Veterans Association - Regina Division member
    Mounted Police Professional Association of Canada - Associate (Retired) member
    "Smile" - no!

You have to remember Pete that he comes from a country that reflects different cultural experiences when it comes to violence, guns and personal contact. He was simply reacting to his normal environment and forgot that Canada is the home of Politeness Man, stainless steel hankies, Crest Royale donuts and that you rarely need to shoot a Canadian.
    Going too far is half the pleasure of not getting anywhere

Comment

Ummm....despite what some Canadians may feel the violent crime rate up north is not the best. By the logic in the article, if I've never been in a serious car crash there is no reason to think it won't happen. Thus, I shouldn't feel the need to wear my seatbelt.
      MAC

Comment

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo View Post
        even if YOU think that WE have the funny accent
        Just to clarify Pete, you guys do talk funny. Have you ever tried to talk with a drunken Newfie? Damn near impossible!

Originally posted by L-1 View Post
        you rarely need to shoot a Canadian.
        That's funny.

My mum is Canadian, and every time she comes down to visit she laughs about me carrying a gun when I leave the house. Then one time I took her to the Poughkeepsie train station to pick up my brother, and she saw some flowers on the sidewalk. She asked about them, and I told her. She gets it now.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/20752-de...john-m-falcone
        I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

Originally posted by mac266 View Post
          Ummm....despite what some Canadians may feel the violent crime rate up north is not the best. By the logic in the article, if I've never been in a serious car crash there is no reason to think it won't happen. Thus, I shouldn't feel the need to wear my seatbelt.
          Ok, yeah, there HAVE BEEN some shootings, most recently in Toronto, and yes, a LODD for a retired RCMP RM who was working as a rural by-law enforcement officer. The frequency, other than gang-related shoots, is SO low, even throwing in acts of non-firearm, or non-weapon, involved random attacks, compared to the USA, again, just come on up, enjoy the scenery, buy a cheap (or expensive!) souvenier, and chill!
          "Smile" - no!

Comment

Originally posted by reils49 View Post
            Just to clarify Pete, you guys do talk funny. Have you ever tried to talk with a drunken Newfie? Damn near impossible!

That's funny.

My mum is Canadian, and every time she comes down to visit she laughs about me carrying a gun when I leave the house. Then one time I took her to the Poughkeepsie train station to pick up my brother, and she saw some flowers on the sidewalk. She asked about them, and I told her. She gets it now.

http://www.odmp.org/officer/20752-de...john-m-falcone
            Well, yes, but unless you are familiar with Canada's third almost-official language, then, no, NO ONE can understand them gals and boys when they's away!

I get that there are threats down South, and believe me, I feel for you guys. However, I have to say that Las Vegas was nothing but relaxing and fun when the Comm and I were touring the strip with her sister and sister's husband.
            "Smile" - no!

Comment

You have to remember Pete that he comes from a country that reflects different cultural experiences when it comes to violence, guns and personal contact. He was simply reacting to his normal environment and forgot that Canada is the home of Politeness Man, stainless steel hankies, Crest Royale donuts and that you rarely need to shoot a Canadian.
              1: ok;
              2: wtf? over;
              3: see 2 - I believe you spelled "Tim Hortons" wrong;
              4: well, I never had to, but if necessary...!
              "Smile" - no!

Comment

It's just a totally different mentality between the two nations. It's true, the level of violence down in the South is a lot greater than up here...... though I'd have to look at the stats but I am starting to think places like Toronto gotta be getting close, we've had several shootings there this year already.

Comment

Yeah I Read that letter on one of our news sites, and it was the guy making what I felt was a good point, but then it gets all rather embarrassing as he gets lampooned by 99.9% of people who have never had any form or sort of violent encounter in the past, would run and call for help when their latte is sightly cold, and didnt really understand his perspective. When I worked robbery squad, and as Im sure many of you guys know, how many robberies start with "Oh he asked me the time?" or " He said hello, when I looked at him he punched me". Which is pretty similar to the situation where tourist is asked by two strangers in a park "hey did you guys go to stampede", he moved in, passed by the guys and off he went...Its just then the rest of the letter goes a little south. By all means come to visit someplace, but Im sure If i was in Montana and I drew down on someone, the local fine officers would have no problem in carting me off to jail and reminding me quickly that my creds are about as useful as a candy wrapper in the US.
                  "Well, I never had an invisible friend when I was young, but I'm sure that if I did, it would be Constable Smiley."

Comment

I will say this Pete, last fall I took a weekend trip to visit the family in Ontario, and after the initial shock of disarming myself, it was pretty relaxing going about my day to day business without a gun in the equation. Having said that, I did experience an "oh crap" moment when I went to pay for gas and felt that my gun was missing... luckily it wasn't
                    I make my living on Irish welfare.

Comment

I will say this Pete, last fall I took a weekend trip to visit the family in Ontario, and after the initial shock of disarming myself, it was pretty relaxing going about my day to day business without a gun in the equation. Having said that, I did experience an "oh crap" moment when I went to pay for gas and felt that my gun was missing... luckily it wasn't
                      Yea but you are from NY...............................that is almost Canada when it comes to gun laws....D
                      Since some people need to be told by notes in crayon .......Don't PM me with without prior permission. If you can't discuss the situation in the open forum ----it must not be that important

My new word for the day is FOCUS, when someone irritates you tell them to FOCUS

Comment

reils49 (@ PetroCan Niagara Falls ON, speaking to sales clerk, while holding a box of Depends): "Excuse me, which way is your washroom?!"
                        "Smile" - no!

Comment

Actually Pete, I do have a bone to pick with Canada regarding guns. I realize you are not Customs Canada, but I will vent nonetheless.

Occasionally I will drive to BC. I respect your no guns laws. Your house, your rules, no problem. Enroute I always stop on our side of the border, go into Blaine PD and check my weapon with them. They have a free service for cops and retired cops. Your gun goes in a safe, they give you an official receipt and you head off across the border into the land of maple syrup, moose and LaBatts.

When you pull into the Customs Canada area they run your plate. The police confidentiality laws of my state are such that when you run my plate it just comes back to my name and department name - nothing else, so the Customs inspector immediately knows I am a cop before my car rolls up to his window. I hand him my passport, my police ID card and the Blaine PD receipt indicating I checked my weapon with them back in the US. Nonetheless, every time I cross I am mercilessly interrogated about whether I am still armed. The don't ask just once, but rephrase the question in different ways and ask multiple times to see if they can catch you lying.

Having crossed several times its obvious they are following a set script of questions. However, the tone and inflection in their line of questioning is less than polite and similar to what we afford dirtbags down here. Having given them a police ID and weapon receipt showing your firearm was left behind, one would think that after your first denial as to having any more guns, a little professional courtesy would be extended and you would be allowed to pass. However, I find the repeated questioning and snide tone as if I am lying to be insulting. The Canada Customs inspectors at that port of entry know what the deal is with checking weapons at Blaine PD. Personally, if they think I am lying I would rather be sent to secondary and let them search my car and person than have to put up with the rudeness I have been shown by fellow officers. (And yes, I have always held my temper and been polite - I know better.)

Stepping off soapbox now.

Comment

Actually Pete, I do have a bone to pick with Canada regarding guns. I realize you are not Customs Canada, but I will vent nonetheless.

Occasionally I will drive to BC. I respect your no guns laws. Your house, your rules, no problem. Enroute I always stop on our side of the border, go into Blaine PD and check my weapon with them. They have a free service for cops and retired cops. Your gun goes in a safe, they give you an official receipt and you head off across the border into the land of maple syrup, moose and LaBatts.

When you pull into the Customs Canada area they run your plate. The police confidentiality laws of my state are such that when you run my plate it just comes back to my name and department name - nothing else, so the Customs inspector immediately knows I am a cop before my car rolls up to his window. I hand him my passport, my police ID card and the Blaine PD receipt indicating I checked my weapon with them back in the US. Nonetheless, every time I cross I am mercilessly interrogated about whether I am still armed. The don't ask just once, but rephrase the question in different ways and ask multiple times to see if they can catch you lying.

Having crossed several times its obvious they are following a set script of questions. However, the tone and inflection in their line of questioning is less than polite and similar to what we afford dirtbags down here. Having given them a police ID and weapon receipt showing your firearm was left behind, one would think that after your first denial as to having any more guns, a little professional courtesy would be extended and you would be allowed to pass. However, I find the repeated questioning and snide tone as if I am lying to be insulting. The Canada Customs inspectors at that port of entry know what the deal is with checking weapons at Blaine PD. Personally, if they think I am lying I would rather be sent to secondary and let them search my car and person than have to put up with the rudeness I have been shown by fellow officers. (And yes, I have always held my temper and been polite - I know better.)

Stepping off soapbox now.
                            I kind-of DID have the same powers as CBSA, I just did not work the border. There HAVE been incidents of USA off-duty / retired / ex- LEO / Peace Officers / Police Officers "forgetting" about their "other" weapon(s) on their person / in their vehicle. One of my partners even had to attend the border South of me to "deal" with a retired Texas LEO who "forgot" his gun was with him!

Again, this falls into MMQB, but I can accept, based on your previous posts, that you ARE telling the truth about this "encounter", so, I guess, it sounds like you ran into some CBSA BSO that went beyond what they had to do, attitude-wise. Why you were NOT sent to secondary DOES seem wrong, if primary was concerned with you.

You and me, though - we're still good, right?! Especially since I am, how you say...legally impotent?! (Sure, the rest of you - take that ANYWAY you want!!)
                            "Smile" - no!

Comment

Originally posted by PeteBroccolo View Post
                              You and me, though - we're still good, right?! Especially since I am, how you say...legally impotent?! (Sure, the rest of you - take that ANYWAY you want!!)
                              Yeah, we're always good.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 13468 users online. 475 members and 12993 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 12:44 PM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X