No announcement yet.

Y'all may laugh, but it's my thing now

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't try it in SF. They write you two tickets: One for parking in the spot and one for misuse of a placard. Total fines: $1900

Comment

If they are using someone else's placard, how do you determine that? Maybe it's just a dept thing at my agency but I was told if they have a legitimate placard, I have to let it go.

Do you simply ask for ID and match it up to the placard? Are you allowed to ID them (temporary detention) just because you don't think that might not be their placard?

As stated earlier, they could have a lung disease (COPD or anything else) that prevents them from walking long distances. Although, yes most of the time they are full of IT.

Comment

[QUOTE=headonstraight;3015799]If they are using someone else's placard, how do you determine that? Maybe it's just a dept thing at my agency but I was told if they have a legitimate placard, I have to let it go.

Do you simply ask for ID and match it up to the placard? Are you allowed to ID them (temporary detention) just because you don't think that might not be their placard?

In Florida, the Drivers License number of the person that is assigned the placard is on it. If that person is not present then whoever is using the placard has committed the violation.

Florida law allows officers to check the status of the person using the placard - basically match their D/L to the placard. If the placard is legitimately theirs they are generally very happy that I checked.

Comment

[QUOTE=APDSgt;3015806]
          Originally posted by headonstraight View Post
          If they are using someone else's placard, how do you determine that? Maybe it's just a dept thing at my agency but I was told if they have a legitimate placard, I have to let it go.

Originally posted by headonstraight View Post

In Florida, the Drivers License number of the person that is assigned the placard is on it. If that person is not present then whoever is using the placard has committed the violation.

Florida law allows officers to check the status of the person using the placard - basically match their D/L to the placard. If the placard is legitimately theirs they are generally very happy that I checked.
          I wish we had the whole DL number. Ours have the first 4 of DL number and first and last initial.

I love it when they tell me it's theirs when I'm holding their DL and the placard side by side. "Oh I mean it's my mom's but I'm her care taker."

Comment

I usually get a few of those at our local loves store (major truck stop in town). Usually I catch people at the early morning hrs parking there...even though the rest of the parking lot is open.

I like to stop them after they take off from the store (great way to snag warrants etc).
            Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

My grandmother is handicap and my dad thought he could use her tag when he's not driving her around. I told him not no, but hell no.

Comment

I don't mean to offend those who really need handicap spaces and I truly understand the need, but...I was in a parking lot of a gym, investigating a crime that had just occurred today. A lady pulled into an improperly marked handicap space (I couldn't have cited her if I wanted to) next to me and asked, "Can I run in and drop off something without getting a ticket?" I replied, "Sure, just limp so I don't look bad." She thought that was the funniest thing she ever heard and I made a citizen realize that cops are just people too.

Comment

handicap zone/ramp was my pet peeve! And boy do they balk when they see the amount of the ticket.
                  This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

My mother in law is handicapp so when she is with my father in law he will park in those spots. When she is not, he will not and bi#@ at people who abuse it.

Comment

We had a lady that would go through the local towns and photo all of the cars in handicapped spots without placards, then report to the court clerk and sign charges. She considered herself a hero, because her daughter is handicapped. She became such a hassle and caused so many disputes with confronting people, blocking cars in, ect, the judges hated her. Funny thing, she ****ed the cops off so much that they would wait for her to come to court and ticket her for parking in the handicapped spot if she didn't have her daughter with her. She finally went away after she was found guilty of trespassing at a university, cutting down her neighbors bushes and her boyfriend was indicted for impersonating a police officer.
                      Being a good street cop is like coming to work in a wet suit and peeing in your pants. It's a nice warm feeling, but you're the only one who knows anything has happened.

Comment

When I was on the road I made it a habit to walk the parking lots at our local big box retailers and hand out parking tickets for handicap parking. I never got so many thanks from people in my life. Turns out that it's a lot of people's pet peeve.
                        Be dangerous, and unpredictable... and make a lot of noise. - John Bush, Anthrax

Comment

Originally posted by USMARINE View Post
                          I can't understand how the really fat people get them. They should give them special placards sure, but for the back of the lot. The exercise is good for you.
                          haha made my day,

Comment

Hmmm...just read this, kind of older post. Reminds me of my first night solo. I was driving through a Walgreens parking lot when a little old lady flagged me down. She told me "officer...that person in that big black truck just parked in that handicapped spot over there and went in the store, and he's a young man who I'm sure is not hadicapped." I said "ok mam, I'll look into it." Went over to the truck, (a bit of a ghetto sled) an Escalade with with tinted out windows, sitting on 24s, with no placard or handicapped tags, parked in a clearly marked handicapped spot, just as the little old lady had informed me. I'm running the tags, preparing to write my citation, when the owner comes out of the Walgreens, a young man, bout 6'6, 220...in perfect physical health. I get dudes ID so as to put his info on the ticket, and when I run him it turns out he has a few warrants. Now this is my first night solo, and I've never actually arrested anybody completely by myself, so considering dudes size, and my rookie nerves...I wasn't gentle. I slammed dude up against the truck and cuffed him with what was probably a bit more force than was necessary. 20 minutes later, as dudes truck is getting put on the wrecker, and I'm sitting in my patrol car completing the arrest paperwork, the little old lady comes over to my window and says "officer...I really did not mean to mean to get that young man in so much trouble." I looked that little old lady right in the eye and said "Mam...we take handicapped parking very seriously around here."

Comment

Originally posted by bluescitycop View Post
                              Hmmm...just read this, kind of older post. Reminds me of my first night solo. I was driving through a Walgreens parking lot when a little old lady flagged me down. She told me "officer...that person in that big black truck just parked in that handicapped spot over there and went in the store, and he's a young man who I'm sure is not hadicapped." I said "ok mam, I'll look into it." Went over to the truck, (a bit of a ghetto sled) an Escalade with with tinted out windows, sitting on 24s, with no placard or handicapped tags, parked in a clearly marked handicapped spot, just as the little old lady had informed me. I'm running the tags, preparing to write my citation, when the owner comes out of the Walgreens, a young man, bout 6'6, 220...in perfect physical health. I get dudes ID so as to put his info on the ticket, and when I run him it turns out he has a few warrants. Now this is my first night solo, and I've never actually arrested anybody completely by myself, so considering dudes size, and my rookie nerves...I wasn't gentle. I slammed dude up against the truck and cuffed him with what was probably a bit more force than was necessary. 20 minutes later, as dudes truck is getting put on the wrecker, and I'm sitting in my patrol car completing the arrest paperwork, the little old lady comes over to my window and says "officer...I really did not mean to mean to get that young man in so much trouble." I looked that little old lady right in the eye and said "Mam...we take handicapped parking very seriously around here."

HAHA Bet she hasn't called anymore of those in!

Comment

Being retired, and handicapped now, I deeply appreciate vigorous enforcement of handicapped parking laws. With lots of us baby boomers coming to the elderly age, and more and more need handicapped tags. There are not enough handicapped spaces to go around. So glad you are writing lots of tickets to those who abuse these parking spaces. Thanks

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5901 users online. 206 members and 5695 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Working...
                                X