X

• Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Prangler
    Forum Member
    • Mar 2006

Local to Fed to Local

Just curious if anyone has ever come across this issue/problem. I was a uniformed police officer in a very small community. I loved the actual work, interaction, traffic, calls...etc. However the pay wasnt that good and the retirement was awful. I applied, and was given a federal agent job. Pay is great, retirement is good, the work is not what I expected. I actually miss how much fun uniformed police work is. Greatest job in law enforcement and I am considering going back to it. My hometown is hiring, good pay, good retirement, but not as good as the feds.

Anyone ever been in this situation? Ever switch back and go from the feds to local? I know most people just rant about the feds...but Im not that impressed. Just wondering if anyone has had any experience with this...regrets?
  • Iowa #1603
    Senior Veteran
    • Aug 2007

Yep.......................one of our members "Kimble" did this
    I DON'T ALWAYS LIKE BEING A RETIRED POLICE OFFICER .......Oh who the hell am I kiddingI LOVE IT. Stay safe my friends

Comment

• Prangler
      Forum Member
      • Mar 2006

And to clarify...I was a cop for about 5 years. Been with the new agency for about about 2 years.

Comment

• SinePari
        Littering and...
        • Jan 2004

I've only met one local who went fed and came back. It's not the same as local/state cops who are running hot to calls all day long and making contacts regularly. I think most fed work is kind of mundane but labor-intensive investigations. The task force guys I work with have admitted they would have loved my job, but wouldn't give up their fed pay and bennies just for super trooper jollies (though I would stack my pay/retirement up against theirs any day).

You gotta do what's best for you and your family (which usually either means stay put or go fed and make some $$$).
        Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

• Georgetime
          Infiltration Unit
          • Dec 2005

My hometown is hiring, good pay, good retirement, but not as good as the feds.
          I have a few friends that went federal and they hate their job passionately, but like the money. To me I'd rather make do with a little less and be happy in day to day life. If you'd be genuinely happier as a "regular" cop again then I say go for it. You only get one crack at life and no matter how much you make as a fed you can't take it with you.
          Be dangerous, and unpredictable... and make a lot of noise. - John Bush, Anthrax

Comment

• beachcop05
            Forum Member
            • Apr 2006

I say stay where you're at. You have better hours, better salary and a better retirement as a fed. Trust me, after years and years of working patrol on the graveyard shift, it starts getting old.

Where you are at now is much better for your family, and in the long run that's all that matters.

Comment

• statebear
              Solo is how I roll
              • Feb 2009

I worked with some 1811s from various fed agencies on two different task forces. More than most stated they would quit their gigs in a heartbeat for my job, if it wasn’t for the pay.

I never had any interest in going fed, but I can see why some folks are drawn to that line of work. Like you, I’m of the mindset that there is no better LE gig in the world other than uniformed patrol work. But to each his own, my agency has criminal and narcotics investigator gigs a road Trooper can transfer into after 3 years on the road. And some of these road guys around here are chomping on the bit for every opening that comes up for those slots. But, I enjoy putting the uniform on everyday, getting in my car and doing my thing. If I retired working the road, I would retire a happy man. Money isn't everything bro.....If you love what you do for living, you would never work a day in your life. Ever since I strapped on my first gunbelt, I have never worked a day in my life.

If I were you; the decision would be easy for me…..

Comment

• Maverick1701
                Chris
                • Oct 2009

My Sheriff did that exact thing. Small rural Sheriffs Office, Feds (TSA), back here to Hall County.

He left fed system to spend more time with his family/kids/etc.
                Chris

XBOX Live: Citizen GaKar

http://i36.tinypic.com/1zoxgtc.gif

Comment

• SinePari
                  Littering and...
                  • Jan 2004

Originally posted by statebear
                  I’m of the mindset that there is no better LE gig in the world other than uniformed patrol work.
                  This.
                  Whitechapel - Hate Creation

Comment

• LawFowl
                    Forum Member
                    • Oct 2007

I love doing patrol work but I've thought about applying to the Feds. But YOU are the one who has experienced both sides of it and have a real opinion.

I'm sure you'd miss your fed gig, especially if you get mad at one of your supervisors or have to deal with something trivial, or just generally get down and upset about something.

GOod luck to you

Comment

• Bunnel
                      Forum Member
                      • Aug 2003

Originally posted by Georgetime
                      I have a few friends that went federal and they hate their job passionately, but like the money. To me I'd rather make do with a little less and be happy in day to day life. If you'd be genuinely happier as a "regular" cop again then I say go for it. You only get one crack at life and no matter how much you make as a fed you can't take it with you.
                      I'm curious as to why fed jobs pay so much better than local or state in the US..in Canada all police agencies are similarly paid, with large urban agencies leading the way.

Comment

• Kimble
                        Why so serious?
                        • Mar 2009

Originally posted by Iowa #1603
                        Yep.......................one of our members "Kimble" did this
                        Yep, 3 years local/patrol, 4 years fed/1811, now local again with a much better family life.

Feel free to PM me if you have any specific questions.
                        Last edited by Kimble; 03-15-2012, 12:08 PM.
                        sigpic

Comment

• Prangler
                          Forum Member
                          • Mar 2006

PM Sent Kimble..

And thanks for all the insight everyone. Good thing is, I can put in for local spots but can be more selective. If it's not a PD I know I will be happy with, I dont have to take it. State of the economy being what it is...not the case in a lot of places. Luckily I have a good job if something doesnt work out if and when I switch back.

Comment

• yellowreef
                            Not so Special Agent...
                            • Apr 2006

I like how everyone assumes fed jobs are all 1811 suit jobs. There is uniformed patrol work within the fed system, as well as several different uniformed police depts. Prangler, did you go 1811 and not like it or are you a fed cop of some other designation? Fed is not all the same, you can be an investigator with one agency and hate it then change agencies with the "same job" and love it. You can be in one agency in one city and hate it, and switch to another field office and love it. There are a lot of variables to the fed system. If you have time invested I would reccomend finding a more suitable job/location within the fed system that will make you happier.
                            "You don't want the truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at parties, you want me on that wall, you need me on that wall... I have neither the time, nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it."

Comment

• Djkidas
                              Forum Member
                              • May 2011

Keep the fed job and be a reserve officer somewhere. That way you the best of both worlds.

Comment

MR300x250 Tablet

Collapse

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 12103 users online. 74 members and 12029 guests.

Most users ever online was 185,715 at 05:04 PM on 12-04-2023.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...