300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• D/S Miller

Nearly 5 years ago I posted somewhere here requesting advice. I was a newly promoted supervisor over a group of motors I had worked with and had been friends with for 5 years. One of them was 17 years my senior and started as a cop when I started high school. I thought his senority and experience would be intimidating. It was not. He was one of the most professional, helpful, respectful and knowledgeable motormen in the squad. He was a friend before I got promoted and after. He was a true friend.

Tonight, I sat in my garage and sorted two boxes of my friends personal effects; All that was left after he was killed in the line of duty on Monday.

My squad has lost a motorman. I have lost my friend.

I hope I was a good Sergeant to you Matt....

Condolences on the loss of your friend. Please know that your sorrow is heartfelt by all of us. May D/S Miller rest in peace and watch over us all.
    Last edited by deputy x 2; 12-27-2011, 10:00 PM.
    This profession is not for people looking for positive reinforcement from the public. Very often it can be a thankless job and you can't desire accolades, because those are not usually forthcoming. Just do your job to the best of your ability and live with the decisions you've made.

Comment

We all suffer at the loss of another Brother in Blue... My deepest condolences for the loss of your friend....
      Retired LASD

Comment

PB3021 - I was part of the team which handled the funerals & admin aftermath of employee deaths. My first LODD was a young man I supervised just as he passed probation. He was shot to death six months later.

If we do this job long enough, for sure, we will know people whose photos are on department walls and whose names are chiseled in stone.

A one time sergeant of mine had been an Army Ranger Officer. He said that during training he was told three rules:

1 - Young men die in war.
        2 - Someone has to walk the point.
        3 - You can't change rules 1 & 2.

For us, perhaps, it's:

1 - Good people die doing police work.
        2 - Someone has to do the job.
        3 - You can't change rules 1 & 2.

I know from experience that you're going to be very busy the next few days. I do not envy you these tasks, but I know you can get through them.

I just checked ODMP and see that Miller is already up to EIGHT pages of tributes. I'll post, there, tomorrow. I'll say a prayer for him and for you and the rest of the team, tonight. Get some sleep...you're going to need it.
        Last edited by Kieth M.; 12-28-2011, 11:06 AM.
        "You're never fully dressed without a smile."

Pain is inevitable, suffering is optional.

Three things I know for sure: (1) No bad deed goes unrewarded, (2) No good deed goes unpunished, and (3) It is entirely possible to push the most devoted, loyal and caring person beyond the point where they no longer give a 5h!t.

Comment

My condolences Pete from the other side of the state. My my brother in green rest in peace.

Comment

Condolences from Minnesota...

Comment

Condolences from NY. We just laid to rest a LODD officer last week.

I'm sorry you lost your friend.
              “Every society gets the kind of criminal it deserves. What is equally true is that every community gets the kind of law enforcement it insists on.” - Robert F. Kennedy.

Comment

Rip brother

Comment

Hang in there bud.

I work in the county just north of you and will do my best to be there when the time comes.

Comment

My prayers are with you and the members of your department.
                    " The Beatings will continue until Morale Improves "

Comment

thanks for the supportive replies....Unit 453, I'm sorry we couldn't get you here but I've seen your posts. I'm glad your doing well there....

Comment

It's been a year now; we've done the in-agency memorials, the motor unit has traveled to D.C. and we've seen your name on the wall. We've kept watch over your wife and your memory. Now we've done the annual events where we've noticed your absence at every turn. The unit has added a new member, not a replacement, but a good guy you would approve of and would have selected. How do I know? I know you, and know what you wanted for the unit. You are missed, Matt. Your legacy lives on and today, on the anniversary of your loss, we rode in your honor to your final resting place. Not for you, but for us; maybe it was for me.

I continue to hope and pray I was a good sergeant to you. Not just because you were one of the best motorcops, or among the most productive; you were among the most respected. You were a good man, a good cop. You supported me and encouraged me. You helped me when others didn't and when others wouldn't.

We miss you Matt. Your unit misses you.

I miss you Matt.

Lord, take care of my friend; he has walked the beat, he has ridden the beat; give him peace and a well deserved rest.

Motor 1.
                        Last edited by PB3021; 12-26-2012, 11:14 PM.

Comment

Rest in Peace. May God be with you and the family during this time.

Comment

You were laid to rest two years ago and we feel the loss as if it were yesterday. We dedicate a rodeo and more in your name in an attempt to honor you. A modest man you'd never ask or expect it; but you, above so many others, deserve any honor, any recognition we can bestow. We carry on, but pause to remember you and how you affected so many lives. You are missed.

Ride in peace Motor 60....

With the utmost respect,

Motor 1
                            Last edited by PB3021; 01-06-2014, 10:34 AM.

Comment

Rest in peace.

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 5438 users online. 183 members and 5255 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X