300x250 Mobile

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Duty gear arrangement...

I know that duty belt arrangements are largely personal preference, but I just wanted to get some input about the placement and position of the mag pouch. On a right handed person, what are your thoughts on mag pouch placement?

Gun side or non-gun side?

Horiztonal or vertical?

If horizontal, opening left or opening right?

Just your thoughts and reasoning behind your decisions.

Thanks.

Originally posted by CombatCoastie View Post
    I know that duty belt arrangements are largely personal preference, but I just wanted to get some input about the placement and position of the mag pouch. On a right handed person, what are your thoughts on mag pouch placement?

Horiztonal or vertical?

Thanks.
    If horizontal, you want it pointing toward 12:00 so that nothing is front of it to draw. Me personally, mine is vertical at about 1:00 and I'm right handed. I just like the draw of the vertical more. The main reason is it would make opening the flap harder as my taser is on the other side and at a slight angle so it would "overlap" the mag holder.
    (\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Ninja Bunny.
    (")_(")
    Copy and paste Bunny into your
    signature to help him gain world domination

Comment

I like it on the opposite side because a loaded .45 Glock and two spare .45 magazines is a lot of weight for one side of the body.

I started out wearing them horizontal and actually prefer that. but when I have a TASER it's what I wear to the left of the mag. pouch. I can't really get both pouches open easily when the TASER is there in place.

Comment

I am right handed, and wear my spare mags in a vertical, open-top pouch just left of the belt buckle. One issue with horizontal on the gun side is attempting to reload in the prone position. Also, I detest flaps on mag pouches (worn vertically)....technology has moved on, as long as you can get away from the "That's the way we've always done it." administrative mentality.
        "It is better to avoid than to fight, better to deter than to kill. But.....it is better to kill than to die, or watch an innocent slaughtered, because you didn't have the wherewithal to defend them." - M. A.

"We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation-to make a point-than to further the cause of truth."-Edgar Allan Poe(1809-1849)

Comment

Personally, I like mine mounted horizontally on my weapon side, opening toward my support side. It's just what works for me and it's the position that allows me to reload the fastest. The only right way to carry your spare mags is the one that lets you do the same. Try some different configurations, see how fast and how easily you can reload from different positions (standing, kneeling, etc.).

Also, once you figure it out, don't change it. It can take thousands repetitions of a movement to lock it into your muscle memory to the point that you can do it automatically under stress.
          "The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, can not and will not ever harm the sheep." -Lt. Col. Dave Grossman

Comment

Originally posted by Sotex View Post
            I am right handed, and wear my spare mags in a vertical, open-top pouch just left of the belt buckle. One issue with horizontal on the gun side is attempting to reload in the prone position. Also, I detest flaps on mag pouches (worn vertically)....technology has moved on, as long as you can get away from the "That's the way we've always done it." administrative mentality.
            My administrative mentality is that it looks nicer. If I didn't have flaps than I'd have it on my other side, and the taser would not be in the way of the flap.
            (\__/)
            (")_(")

Comment

Originally posted by CombatCoastie View Post

Horiztonal or vertical?

Thanks.
              I'm right handed, gun side, horizontal, opening left. Because I like it that way.

Comment

Technology has definitely moved on, but my department policy hasn't, so I have to have flaps.

Comment

Thanks for all your replies. I currently have my mag pouch on my support side horizontally opening toward my strong side, but I'm considering putting them on my gun side after reading some other posts and considering prone-position reloads. Thanks again for your input. I really appreciate it.

Comment

I tried a few different arrangements after the academy (where we had to do it a certain way), and I've found that horizontal on strong side works best for me. I can reload the fastest, it's easy to access the magazines from many different positions, the flaps don't get hung up on the TASER, and I won't pinch a nerve again in my hip like when I had them vertical.

The one thing is, I always do my first reload from the bottom mag pouch first. It's faster to access the pouch for the second reload when you don't have the flap in the way. If that makes sense.
                    "We sleep safe in our beds because rough men stand ready in the night to visit violence to those who would do us harm." - George Orwell, April 4, 1942

Comment

Vertical on non-firing side. Open top safariland slim-line type pouch. Awesome kit.

I put my less lethal-type stuff on my non firing side. I have never liked the placement of the batoon behind the weapon because of weight, and I dont want it to interefere with my draw stroke.

Radio: always on nonfiring side. I have never understood why some folks wear a radio behind thier weapon. How will you manipulate the controls?

Contrary to popular belief, there is a wrong way to wear you stuff, and individual preference in not always the best way to go.

Comment

Originally posted by kf4vix82 View Post
                        Technology has definitely moved on, but my department policy hasn't, so I have to have flaps.
                        Precisely what I was alluding to!!
                        "It is better to avoid than to fight, better to deter than to kill. But.....it is better to kill than to die, or watch an innocent slaughtered, because you didn't have the wherewithal to defend them." - M. A.

"We should bear in mind that, in general, it is the object of our newspapers rather to create a sensation-to make a point-than to further the cause of truth."-Edgar Allan Poe(1809-1849)

Comment

Originally posted by FlyChicaga View Post
                          and I won't pinch a nerve again in my hip like when I had them vertical.
                          I am short waisted, and the issued mag pouch (Safariland M77) would do this, too. If you look at Safariland's website, you will see that the belt loops are lower on the slimline OT pouches than the flapped ones, which results in less material hanging below the belt. Bianchi's leather open top pouch was good in this regard, also, but I don't think they offer real dead-cow duty gear anymore.

Comment

Originally posted by 11b101abn View Post
                            Vertical on non-firing side. Open top safariland slim-line type pouch. Awesome kit.

I put my less lethal-type stuff on my non firing side. I have never liked the placement of the batoon behind the weapon because of weight, and I dont want it to interefere with my draw stroke.

Radio: always on nonfiring side. I have never understood why some folks wear a radio behind thier weapon. How will you manipulate the controls?

Contrary to popular belief, there is a wrong way to wear you stuff, and individual preference in not always the best way to go.
                            Truth! Drives me nuts to see officers with their flashlights behind their sidearms!

Comment

Truth! Drives me nuts to see officers with their flashlights behind their sidearms!
                              Depends on how you do it though, I have a keeper behind my gun, than my ASP. They keep leaves enough room that it's a non-issue.
                              (\__/)
                              (")_(")

Comment

What's Going On

Collapse

There are currently 7678 users online. 389 members and 7289 guests.

Most users ever online was 19,482 at 11:44 AM on 09-29-2011.

Welcome Ad

Collapse
                              Working...
                              X